E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Front wheel sound (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965764)

Blackbeamer00 01-15-2013 12:56 PM

Front wheel sound
 
i just got this car and there is a sound coming from the wheel and it makes a sounds each time it makes a turn like it get faster and faster but after i hit 60MPH it disappears and it is usually from 35MPH to 60MPH. i thought it would be the wheel hub and i replaced that but that hadn't make a difference because it still does it. May it be a brake problem?

lsteg 01-15-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeamer00 (Post 15063114)
i just got this car and there is a sound coming from the wheel and it makes a sounds each time it makes a turn like it get faster and faster but after i hit 60MPH it disappears and it is usually from 35MPH to 60MPH. i thought it would be the wheel hub and i replaced that but that hadn't make a difference because it still does it. May it be a brake problem?

Still could be the bearing if the Hub wasn't installed correctly. When it makes the sound, which way are you turning? Which hub did you replace?

Blackbeamer00 01-15-2013 01:02 PM

It only does it when im driving straight but when i turn or anythibg there is no sound because by then im down to 25mph but it basicly does it when im drivinf straight on an highway or anywhere where its 35mph to 60 mph

Blackbeamer00 01-15-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsteg (Post 15063130)
Still could be the bearing if the Hub wasn't installed correctly. When it makes the sound, which way are you turning? Which hub did you replace?

It only does it when im driving straight but when i turn or anythibg there is no sound because by then im down to 25mph but it basicly does it when im drivinf straight on an highway or anywhere where its 35mph to 60 mph

lsteg 01-15-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeamer00 (Post 15063141)
It only does it when im driving straight but when i turn or anythibg there is no sound because by then im down to 25mph but it basicly does it when im drivinf straight on an highway or anywhere where its 35mph to 60 mph

Is this coming from a specific side of the car?
Can you feel it in the steering wheel or is this just a sound?
Have you inspected your tires?

Blackbeamer00 01-15-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsteg (Post 15063250)
Is this coming from a specific side of the car?
Can you feel it in the steering wheel or is this just a sound?
Have you inspected your tires?

Its coming from front driver side an there is no shake or vibrate on the steerin wheel but it does vibrate the car a little. And yes i have i even put the rear to front and its still the same

lsteg 01-15-2013 01:45 PM

Fact checking:

You have a vibration that is coming from the front driver side wheel that only happens when you're going straight at around 35-60mph. This vibration does not follow the tire when they were swapped.

Which wheel did you replace the Hub on?

Blackbeamer00 01-15-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsteg (Post 15063310)
Fact checking:

You have a vibration that is coming from the front driver side wheel that only happens when you're going straight at around 35-60mph. This vibration does not follow the tire when they were swapped.

Which wheel did you replace the Hub on?

on the left side (driver) where the sound is coming from

tjyak50 01-15-2013 02:37 PM

OP said sound, not vibration? Or both?
Some tires are noisy?

lsteg 01-15-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeamer00 (Post 15063261)
Its coming from front driver side an there is no shake or vibrate on the steerin wheel but it does vibrate the car a little. And yes i have i even put the rear to front and its still the same

Vibration
Sound

Both?

Blackbeamer00 01-15-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsteg (Post 15063546)
Vibration
Sound

Both?

more sound. vibration only on certain points

Sweetness 01-15-2013 02:47 PM

I have the same thing, OP. It's like a whirring noise that sounds like something is slightly chaffing. I'm replacing rotors and brake pads soon, and I think that should fix the problem. Wheel hubs, from forum experience, only make humming sounds when going bad. My sound sounds like metallic parts are slightly rubbing on each other. Under hard braking, the sound goes away, so it must have to do with the brakes.

CarterRuss 01-15-2013 05:10 PM

I had to replace a wheel hub and it made a noise from 20-50mph, sounded like a flat tire almost, as the wheel rotated it would make a noise. Under braking the noise would actually go away. Replaced it and incorrectly replaced it so it still made the noise. Replaced again correctly (with bearing race installer) and it fixed it. I actually only heard the sound when I drove straight also. The sound went away to my hears at 50+ mph but I would notice that my ears would pop or need to be popped at highway speeds (either coincidence or due to the wheel bearing making such high pitched sounds)

Also could be a unbalanced tire if the steering wheel vibrates a lot from what I am told.

Blackbeamer00 01-15-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarterRuss (Post 15064142)
I had to replace a wheel hub and it made a noise from 20-50mph, sounded like a flat tire almost, as the wheel rotated it would make a noise. Under braking the noise would actually go away. Replaced it and incorrectly replaced it so it still made the noise. Replaced again correctly (with bearing race installer) and it fixed it. I actually only heard the sound when I drove straight also. The sound went away to my hears at 50+ mph but I would notice that my ears would pop or need to be popped at highway speeds (either coincidence or due to the wheel bearing making such high pitched sounds)

Also could be a unbalanced tire if the steering wheel vibrates a lot from what I am told.

What do you mean installed it corectly with a bearing race instaler? Can you give me directions on how you did it please? But if that doesnt stop it ima try to do replace the brakes.

G3n15z 01-15-2013 10:10 PM

Same problem here, but in my case the tires are new and unbalanced.

CarterRuss 01-15-2013 10:16 PM

Here is my thread on my issue: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...067&highlight=

The wheel bearing/hub DIY: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=610725

When you go to put the wheel hub on the spindle, you need to use a bearing race installer. I used a 36mm socket the first time around and damaged the bearing (specifically the bearing holder). The socket puts force on just the inner race, where as the race installer puts equal force on both inner and outer race causing the bearing to move onto the spindle as a whole. You only use the socket to finish securing the hub after, I missed that note in the DIY the first time around

If you look at your wheel hub and it looks like grease or oil is seeping out of the bearing, it is most likely damaged, or if you can wiggle the hub and notice movement. The problem with the hub is that once it is one there, you can't take it off unless you plan to replace.

2000beamer 01-15-2013 10:21 PM

Is it a low kind of "humming noise"? My E46 has made that noise since it was new! I don't have any problems with it; I have actually gotten used to it. It's not loud enough to be annoying and just makes the car feel efficient

college46 01-15-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000beamer (Post 15065039)
Is it a low kind of "humming noise"? My E46 has made that noise since it was new! I don't have any problems with it; I have actually gotten used to it. It's not loud enough to be annoying and just makes the car feel efficient

This may be simple, but have you checked your power steering fluid level? I one time forgot to check and it was below the min level, it started making similar noises around the same mph on hard turns.
sorry to hijack op

2000beamer 01-15-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by college46 (Post 15065083)
This may be simple, but have you checked your power steering fluid level? I one time forgot to check and it was below the min level, it started making similar noises around the same mph on hard turns.
sorry to hijack op

To be honest, I never thought to! Interesting suggestion; will look into it. Thanks!

Blackbeamer00 01-15-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarterRuss (Post 15064142)
I had to replace a wheel hub and it made a noise from 20-50mph, sounded like a flat tire almost, as the wheel rotated it would make a noise. Under braking the noise would actually go away. Replaced it and incorrectly replaced it so it still made the noise. Replaced again correctly (with bearing race installer) and it fixed it. I actually only heard the sound when I drove straight also. The sound went away to my hears at 50+ mph but I would notice that my ears would pop or need to be popped at highway speeds (either coincidence or due to the wheel bearing making such high pitched sounds)

Also could be a unbalanced tire if the steering wheel vibrates a lot from what I am told.

well i put in the hub as that forum showed but there is still that problem. but ima try to change the brakes for now and see if that does anything.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use