E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Quad Projectors from OEM Halogen (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965841)

beattie_03 01-15-2013 06:58 PM

Quad Projectors from OEM Halogen

Hey,

I have a few questions about this retrofit in a quad setup. I noticed a fair few people in this forum have done it..

In order to go from stock OEM Halogen, I simply do the Morimoto H1 DIY, but twice, for the inners aswell, correct?

Secondly, when doing the inners, you can wire the H1's to your high beams using the bi-xenon function of the projector, which will make your inner become your high beam (by opening the cut off). Is this correct?

If so, it seems the bi-xenon functionality of the outers is wasted, or can you wire both sets to become low beams, and then open up for high beams?

My final question would be about wiring options, but I guess I will wait till someone can set me straight regarding the above to questions!

Thanks everyone!

turbo_f22_pilot 01-15-2013 08:16 PM

Lightwerkz is your friend

PICS

Caesar is a member here and might jump in shortly. One on the members here that has had this done to their car might jump in also.

There is a DIY thread also.

Solidjake 01-15-2013 08:19 PM

Yes it can be done. Do you want each pair of lights to turn on separately? That is what I haven't been able to do yet.

beattie_03 01-15-2013 08:23 PM

Great, just wanted to make sure it would work the with H1s.

Basically, I would have liked my wiring to be:

Outers/Headlights wired up as regular headlights.
Inners/Parkers to be wired up as regular parkers (parkers stay on when headlights are on)

So then, first turn of the dial will have the innter projectors on, second turn will have both sets on.

Obviosuly you do not NEED both sets on all the time, so I was simply going to wire a switch to the second second set, to provide an on/off override for the inners.

Is there any problems with this setup?

My only question is about the high beams, and if you can splice the bi-xenon wiring for both sets into the OEM highbeam wiring?

FastHackem 01-15-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 15064850)
Yes it can be done. Do you want each pair of lights to turn on separately? That is what I haven't been able to do yet.

I haven't really looked at how the stock halogen headlight wiring looks but I imagine there is a positive wire for the low beam and a positive wire for the high beam on each side. I would run a separate relay harness for each low beam HID kit with the stock low beam wire on the right and left side as an input signal for each harness and the high beam wire on either the left or right side as the input signal for the third harness. Then hook the output from the low beam harness' to your HID kits and the high beam harness to the projector high beam motor. Does that make sense? Total of three harnesses, two HID kits, and four bi-xenon projectors.

To add two bi-xenon projectors on the models with stock xenon, I imagine you would need to tap the the stock high beam xenon motor signal and the low beam positive, then run two relay harnesses. One for the HID kit low beam and one for the new projector high beam motors.

Solidjake 01-15-2013 08:47 PM

Well in my case I have OEM projectors and just added the mini's to my high beam bowls. For me to run them properly I still need to get a wiring harness, run a trigger wire so switched power and run a wire into the cabin to a switch.

FastHackem 01-15-2013 08:48 PM

Well yeah to have them come on separately you could kinda do what Beattie is talking about. Wire the input signal of the outer hid kit to the turn signal/parking light positive and then the inner hid kit harness input to the low beam positive.

beattie_03 01-15-2013 08:51 PM

Wiring decisions aside, could you guys just confirm that all I will need is:

2 x Morimoto Mini H1 Prokectors Sets (with shrouds)
2 x Morimoto or any other H1 HID Kits

And thats it? Apart from relay harnesses for wiring?

FastHackem 01-15-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beattie_03 (Post 15064932)
Wiring decisions aside, could you guys just confirm that all I will need is:

2 x Morimoto Mini H1 Prokectors Sets (with shrouds)
2 x Morimoto or any other H1 HID Kits

And thats it? Apart from relay harnesses for wiring?

Looks good. Jake?

Solidjake 01-15-2013 08:52 PM

2x morimoto mini projector sets
2x h1 ballasts with bulbs
2x shroud sets
2x wiring harnesses

beattie_03 01-15-2013 08:55 PM

Sounds good! My only other question is if anyone has any experience with the Umnitza Mini H1 Projectors? They claim they are the same manufacturer I belive, they are $90 as opposed to $120 Morimotos from TRS. Thoughts?

FastHackem 01-15-2013 08:57 PM

TRS stands behind their products. You will have no issues with them. Plus the support is unbelievable. Umnitza.....read some reviews.

Solidjake 01-15-2013 08:58 PM

Not too sure but I bought my projectors from ebay for 100 shipped. Looks like they are the latest version.

beattie_03 01-15-2013 08:59 PM

True enough, it is only $30 a set I guess! Well I think these will have to be ordered soon then.

Morimotos Jake from ebay?

Solidjake 01-15-2013 08:59 PM

Btw, to avoid the issue I have (not sure if it pertains to halogen only headlights) is do the following

Buy only ONE pair of projectors. Put both of them in one headlight, level them on a flat surface and see if both are lined up at the SAME height.

My issue is that my oem lows are leveled perfectly but my inner set of morimotos are pointing too low. I do not think I can fix that unless I cut into the bowls which I am NOT going to do.

FastHackem 01-15-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 15064963)
Btw, to avoid the issue I have (not sure if it pertains to halogen only headlights) is do the following

Buy only ONE pair of projectors. Put both of them in one headlight, level them on a flat surface and see if both are lined up at the SAME height.

My issue is that my oem lows are leveled perfectly but my inner set of morimotos are pointing too low. I do not think I can fix that unless I cut into the bowls which I am NOT going to do.

Can you not just add some like 6/32 or 8/32 washers to the lower mounting screws to bring them up a bit?

Maybe not, never mind. I take it the stock angle adjuster is maxed out?

Solidjake 01-15-2013 09:01 PM

I have these ballasts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xentec-XENON...ac96e4&vxp=mtr

beattie_03 01-15-2013 09:01 PM

Interesting. And your inner set on OEM projectors is infact just a regular halogen reflector like mine would be correct?

beattie_03 01-15-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 15064969)

Great, those are the ones I had planned for!

Solidjake 01-15-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastHackem (Post 15064968)
Can you not just add some like 6/32 or 8/32 washers to the lower mounting screws to bring them up a bit?

It's a rather significant height. I will take pics tomorrow after work if I remember.

The projectors are held in tight with the back nut to the oem frame so that is a no go. I do agree with you on adding washers but that will make the cutoff extremely bad because you are pretty much beveling the light pattern