E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   English teacher is very difficult. What are my options? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966122)

old195 01-17-2013 11:13 AM

English teacher is very difficult. What are my options?
 
I am in my last semester at my local community college. I am taking four classes, one of which is English 2 (Critical Thinking/Composition). This is "second year" English.

I knew this was going to be a tough class thanks to ratemyprofessor, but I didn't think it would be nearly impossible.

By the second day of class, we've already lost 1/3 of our students (10 people dropped) and it does't look like many of us will be holding on. The syllabus alone is 1,169 pages (yes 1,169) and he wants essays and formal notes (to be rewritten formally typed from our class notes) every week which he said should average 48-55 pages each week. He did not assign any book, rather he gives us hundreds of pages of pdf's that we have to navigate through on our own without his direction. He just rambles on in endless metaphors and confusing hyperbole.

I feel his demands are unreasonable and not practical for a class designed to cater to the full-time working professional who wants to advance their academics. Does anybody know if there are any options in regards to possibly changing his style of teaching if not replacing him altogether? It feels like he is giving Harvard-grade assignments for a class where most people just need it to transfer. This class was not designed for English majors but it feels like one.

Any advice or similar experiences is appreciated. Oh, and any recommendations where I can attach his syllabus? This thing is insane.

Thanks!

217Bimmer 01-17-2013 11:16 AM

sounds like an ass. either drop his class or stick through it and ream the ever living **** out of him on the evaluation at the end of the semester. his boss will take note. make sure everyone else does the same.

Fergo 01-17-2013 11:16 AM

what can one possibly say in a 1,169 page syllabi

casino is no lie 01-17-2013 11:16 AM

No offense but it's community college. It shouldn't be that difficult. Unless it's absolutely critical that you take the class I would suggest dropping it for something else.

GRIFFIN 01-17-2013 11:18 AM

:rofl:

SLVR JDM 01-17-2013 11:18 AM

Drop/withdraw

It is community college. They give a B+ just for showing up.

I would have seen the syllabus and immediately walked out :rofl:

IdahoToyo 01-17-2013 11:21 AM

If his syllabus is 1,169 pages the guy just enjoys the sound of his own voice and opinions. The moment he mentioned that I would've walked out.

Fergo 01-17-2013 11:22 AM

wait so he printed out ~30,000 pages...:bs::bs::bs::bs:

casino is no lie 01-17-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule (Post 15069737)
wait so he printed out ~30,000 pages...:bs::bs::bs::bs:

I heard there are these things called PDFs that allow you to turn paper into magic images on a computer screen.

Volvoguy 01-17-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casino is no lie (Post 15069713)
No offense but it's community college. It shouldn't be that difficult. Unless it's absolutely critical that you take the class I would suggest dropping it for something else.

This!

:lmao:

E36Eric 01-17-2013 11:30 AM

This might be his weeding out process. I had someone like him. Stayed and it ended up ok. Not as crazy. He graded fairly easy as well.

But, you're an adult. If you don't like it, you take someone else.

old195 01-17-2013 11:31 AM

i want to drop but I can't find another open english class. His is the only class open. there's now 10 open spots and all the other ones have waiting lists.

What is a good site where i can upload the syllabus. I want somebody to read it for me and tell me if there's anything useful.

Fergo 01-17-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casino is no lie (Post 15069750)
I heard there are these things called PDFs that allow you to turn paper into magic images on a computer screen.

i dont know about you but when I got syllabuses when I was in school they were printed..

217Bimmer 01-17-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old195 (Post 15069765)
i want to drop but I can't find another open english class. His is the only class open. there's now 10 open spots and all the other ones have waiting lists.

What is a good site where i can upload the syllabus. I want somebody to read it for me and tell me if there's anything useful.

go talk to him. go talk to the dean. don't put up with this ****!

Zell 01-17-2013 11:48 AM

Drop the class, take it another time.

Duh. This is college strategy 101

casino is no lie 01-17-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule (Post 15069787)
i dont know about you but when I got syllabuses when I was in school they were printed..

I didn't go to college. I don't see the need to pay someone to hand me a useless piece of paper that didn't teach me what I already needed to know.

saxual328ci 01-17-2013 11:49 AM

Most Div I school teachers moonlight at community colleges. If you are sure that this credit will carry over to a 4 year college then suck it up. If you don't think you can pull an A or B, then drop it. You have a lot of resources you can use to get through the class. Record his lectures. There is software that allows you to talk and type (translate voices). PDF is fine. You can easily search for a topic on PDF by using the Find Function (command + F on a Mac).

I just dropped his class because English was not my major. It was a 3rd year English course and my major was Music. lol I thought I could handle the workload. You need to find time on the weekend or on your off days to do the work. I had to do that when I was commuting to college (an hour drive) then going to work a 40hrs a week (1hr 30min) in the opposite direction. It's only a semester. So you gotta suck it up.

Or... If you are friends with your high school teachers, try reaching out to them, or even the department chair. Maybe they can chime in. Go to them and say that you need help and don't want your grades to drop. I had an Education teach I swear did not read any of our stuff. I called her out when I went over her head to the department chair.

I don't see how any teacher can read all that stuff.

217Bimmer 01-17-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxual328ci (Post 15069824)
Most Div I school teachers moonlight at community colleges. If you are sure that this credit will carry over to a 4 year college then suck it up. If you don't think you can pull an A or B, then drop it. You have a lot of resources you can use to get through the class. Record his lectures. There is software that allows you to talk and type (translate voices). PDF is fine. You can easily search for a topic on PDF by using the Find Function (command + F on a Mac).

I just dropped his class because English was not my major. It was a 3rd year English course and my major was Music. lol I thought I could handle the workload. You need to find time on the weekend or on your off days to do the work. I had to do that when I was commuting to college (an hour drive) then going to work a 40hrs a week (1hr 30min) in the opposite direction. It's only a semester. So you gotta suck it up.

Or... If you are friends with your high school teachers, try reaching out to them, or even the department chair. Maybe they can chime in. Go to them and say that you need help and don't want your grades to drop. I had an Education teach I swear did not read any of our stuff. I called her out when I went over her head to the department chair.

I don't see how any teacher can read all that stuff.

what is a div 1 school teacher?

Fergo 01-17-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casino is no lie (Post 15069823)
I didn't go to college. I don't see the need to pay someone to hand me a useless piece of paper that didn't teach me what I already needed to know.

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/...s12ec2913.jpeg

b0bab0i 01-17-2013 11:54 AM

Go to office hours. That's how you get an A in English. Keep going and asking him to revise and see what you should change on your essays when he gives you assignments.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use