E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New speakers, now need new stereo. Just just need something that fits (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966136)

Squiddie 01-17-2013 01:05 PM

New speakers, now need new stereo. Just just need something that fits

I finally put my BSW speaker set into my 2004 330Ci. Great stuff, thanks, guys! :)

Only to have the CD player in my radio break :( I really had it with that BMW junk. My 2004 car has a 2001 radio (dunno whether that's original or a scam) and I used the Blitzsafe line-in in the trunk, which also broke but supposedly I have a warranty replacement come in. That still leaves me with a broken CD player.

In December I tried replacing the business cd radio with a generic Kenwood unit, but that failed for 2 reasons: (1) the unit is too deep and there was no space for the wiring harness to go, so it couldn't slide in and (2) the preamp output level (on the RCS connectors) was insufficient to drive the BMW amp.

I really don't need anything fancy, just a line in and a working CD player. Is there an aftermarket radio that is known to fit and that has the appropriate line out levels to drive the BMW amp? The only extra that would be nice is if the volume control on the steering wheel would work.

opti 01-17-2013 08:09 PM

Just go to Crutchfield and put in your car, see what comes up and what fits. Anything with speaker level outs will be sufficient to drive your amp, low levels won't drive the stock amp.

Two head units that I know will fit are the kenwood kdc-x996 and pioneer deh-p80rs, I have had them both in my car which only has the stock HK amp for now.

Squiddie 01-18-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opti (Post 15071291)
Just go to Crutchfield and put in your car, see what comes up and what fits. Anything with speaker level outs will be sufficient to drive your amp, low levels won't drive the stock amp.

Two head units that I know will fit are the kenwood kdc-x996 and pioneer deh-p80rs, I have had them both in my car which only has the stock HK amp for now.

I don't think the Kenwood will fit. It has the same dimensions as the one that I just had to return because it wouldn't fit.

So the stock amp needs to be fed with the speaker out of regular radios? Kind of disappointing.

opti 01-20-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squiddie (Post 15073050)
I don't think the Kenwood will fit. It has the same dimensions as the one that I just had to return because it wouldn't fit.

So the stock amp needs to be fed with the speaker out of regular radios? Kind of disappointing.

It fits, it is what I'm using right now, I put the pioneer in my truck. Yes, you just use the speaker outs.

Squiddie 01-25-2013 04:05 PM

Our cars must be built differently then.

I managed to snipe a business CD on ebay for an acceptable price. Dunno yet whether it has line in but in any case I have the Blitzsafe (it's working now) and I would have CD playing back.

taveet330i 01-25-2013 04:27 PM

Buy a dynavin. Look them up. Kind of pricey but you get what you pay for. Everything you can want in a unit. Aftermarket head units dont look too good in our cars but this one does.You can also post a thread in classifieds in WTB. Hope this helps

Dedication

Squiddie 01-25-2013 05:08 PM

I considered it but to be honest I really need my sunglass compartment since there is very little space to put anything anywhere (I have the sport seats with no pockets).

And navigation is just so much more advanced in modern Android phones. Simply not worth ripping apart the front interior to put in all the antennas required.

markusmarkus 01-26-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squiddie (Post 15073050)

The oem amp needs balanced differential inputs, not speaker level signals. Line level signal won't work either. I replaced my oem amp with a JL 400/4 amp that accepts balanced differential inputs. Worx fine.

jpage101 01-27-2013 11:54 PM

Don't buy a Dynavin. They are complete junk and not worth the headache. Its a great idea...its just not perfected yet.

opti 02-26-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markusmarkus (Post 15098095)
The oem amp needs balanced differential inputs, not speaker level signals. Line level signal won't work either. I replaced my oem amp with a JL 400/4 amp that accepts balanced differential inputs. Worx fine.

The stock amp accepts speaker level, it's a straight shot from an aftermarket head unit to the bmw amp.

DonaldE 02-27-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpage101 (Post 15102087)
don't buy a dynavin. They are complete junk and not worth the headache. Its a great idea...its just not perfected yet.

+1

Squiddie 02-27-2013 02:43 PM

Looks like I never posted the update. Sorry about that.

The Blitzsafe guys gave me a warranty replacement although they didn't have to. Huge thumbs up for that! Would buy again now.

The broken CD player in the BMW radio re-activated itself after I had won an auction for a cheapish pre-line-in business CD radio. I now keep the new one in reach in case the old one screws up again.

So I'm back to having line-in (via the trunk and blitzsafe) and CD at the cost of buying a radio but not having to put it in :D

I have heard more claims that the Kenwood will fit but I am sure that it didn't for me, unless I would have been willing to not use the harness, and to not use the RCA output plugs. I didn't try radio speaker out to amp in before I had returned the Kenwood but I didn't like the Kenwood anyway. I hadn't noticed before but apparently they merged with JVC and now make JVC junk under two names.

opti 02-27-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpage101 (Post 15102087)
Don't buy a Dynavin. They are complete junk and not worth the headache. Its a great idea...its just not perfected yet.

I wish they used a better DAC. :thumbdwn:

DonaldE 02-28-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squiddie (Post 15202545)
Looks like I never posted the update. Sorry about that.

The Blitzsafe guys gave me a warranty replacement although they didn't have to. Huge thumbs up for that! Would buy again now.

The broken CD player in the BMW radio re-activated itself after I had won an auction for a cheapish pre-line-in business CD radio. I now keep the new one in reach in case the old one screws up again.

So I'm back to having line-in (via the trunk and blitzsafe) and CD at the cost of buying a radio but not having to put it in :D

I have heard more claims that the Kenwood will fit but I am sure that it didn't for me, unless I would have been willing to not use the harness, and to not use the RCA output plugs. I didn't try radio speaker out to amp in before I had returned the Kenwood but I didn't like the Kenwood anyway. I hadn't noticed before but apparently they merged with JVC and now make JVC junk under two names.

I just finished my Kenwood x996. Fits. Flips down and am using all RCAs. Also using steering wheel controls. All works flawlessly

Squiddie 03-03-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldE (Post 15206825)
I just finished my Kenwood x996. Fits. Flips down and am using all RCAs. Also using steering wheel controls. All works flawlessly

I'm beginning to think my e46 is a cheap Chinese copy :D

2002GreenBMW 03-05-2013 04:25 PM

I have the jvc kdr-720 it sounds great, and it matches the orange throughout. It's 170 on crutchfield