E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Kayak help (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966141)

DylloS 01-17-2013 12:29 PM

Kayak help
 
hey fuuckers. I'm thinking of getting a kayak for the warmer months. Can any of you guys share some info with me.

Roof racks, decent kayaks, etc. I don't need anything crazy.

Ideally I would like something light, and durable if I bang into a rock lol.

Will a roofrack fit on a ghey nissan cube?

CollinsE90 01-17-2013 12:30 PM

Your car will look like a kayak trophy driving down the road.

mistrzmiasta 01-17-2013 12:31 PM

i think you're better off buying a rack for the kayak to carry the cube around.

DylloS 01-17-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinsE90 (Post 15069955)
Your car will look like a kayak trophy driving down the road.

hahahhaa

T R E 01-17-2013 12:44 PM

Used kayaks are fine, try CL first. and since it is off season even better. We have Necky's. The plastic ones are strong but light.

Big question is where or what kind of kayaking do you want to do. White water seems more popular and uses the stubby short kayak, and they flip and spin and such. We have touring Kayaks, for rivers and lakes and such. 17 ft Zoar, with a rudder.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5254/5...eab885197b.jpg


I got a rack for my BMW last year and it works fine, so your cube should be too.

We did a 1 day rental first to see if we liked it first, so you might look for that option.

the standing paddle boards are the new-new thing and might also be worth looking into.

DylloS 01-17-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T R E (Post 15069989)
Used kayaks are fine, try CL first. and since it is off season even better. We have Necky's. The plastic ones are strong but light.

Big question is where or what kind of kayaking do you want to do. White water seems more popular and uses the stubby short kayak, and they flip and spin and such. We have touring Kayaks, for rivers and lakes and such. 17 ft Zoar, with a rudder.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5254/5...eab885197b.jpg


I got a rack for my BMW last year and it works fine, so your cube should be too.

We did a 1 day rental first to see if we liked it first, so you might look for that option.

the standing paddle boards are the new-new thing and might also be worth looking into.

I've done it a few times and really like it. I would want one for calm rivers, and lakes. My friend has a rack that can hold two which is what I want. One of my roommates wants one too.

Glight 01-17-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 15069995)
I've done it a few times and really like it. I would want one for calm rivers, and lakes. My friend has a rack that can hold two which is what I want. One of my roommates wants one too.

I'm in the market as well. Might just get a canoe though since my wife and I will use it alot for cruising around, drinking and having sex

VaderDave 01-17-2013 01:01 PM

I have a canoe. They are slower than kayaks but they can carry quite a bit more stuff.

IdahoToyo 01-17-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glight (Post 15070022)
I'm in the market as well. Might just get a canoe though since my wife and I will use it alot for cruising around, drinking and having sex

I really hope this occurs on the Red Cedar.

chilipenquin 01-17-2013 01:46 PM

Get a Hobie

Silversixspeed 01-17-2013 01:48 PM

Hmm, this sounds like a pretty good idea. How much does a cheaper used kayak/canoe go for typically?

cowmoo32 01-17-2013 02:04 PM

My cousin has a pedal kayak and loves it, but he uses it for fishing so if you're looking to paddle, don't get a pedal kayak.

DylloS 01-17-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glight (Post 15070022)
I'm in the market as well. Might just get a canoe though since my wife and I will use it alot for cruising around, drinking and having sex

I did not expect that hahahha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silversixspeed (Post 15070226)
Hmm, this sounds like a pretty good idea. How much does a cheaper used kayak/canoe go for typically?

A few hundred usually.

I'm seeing most for 199-600 or so new.

Glight 01-17-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 15070320)
I did not expect that hahahha



A few hundred usually.

I'm seeing most for 199-600 or so new.

Ha. I'd get a used canoe if I were you. Its more fun being on the river with someone in close proximity and there is a bunch of room to store stuff like a cooler, etc.

You can probably get a used aluminum canoe for about $200, use it for 5 years and then sell it for the same price.

bgsmith 01-17-2013 02:28 PM

Just go steal one, I know someone that used to work at an REI and stolen kayaks and canoes where a big issue. Guess no one would question people walking out of the store with one, everyone just assumed someone else had helped them.

DylloS 01-17-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilipenquin (Post 15070220)
Get a Hobie

I thought you were telling me to find a hobby

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glight (Post 15070330)
Ha. I'd get a used canoe if I were you. Its more fun being on the river with someone in close proximity and there is a bunch of room to store stuff like a cooler, etc.

You can probably get a used aluminum canoe for about $200, use it for 5 years and then sell it for the same price.

ehh I guess but I think a kayak is more fun to paddle around in. Las time I was in an aluminum boat and had to row I almost abandoned ship in frustration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgsmith (Post 15070348)
Just go steal one, I know someone that used to work at an REI and stolen kayaks and canoes where a big issue. Guess no one would question people walking out of the store with one, everyone just assumed someone else had helped them.

that's hilarious

rohde88 01-17-2013 02:55 PM

have you perchance visited www.kayak.com?

DylloS 01-17-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohde88 (Post 15070435)
have you perchance visited www.kayak.com?

come on man

rohde88 01-17-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylloS (Post 15070468)
come on man

Ok, in all seriousness, I did a lot of paddling in Miami. If you're on lakes, could an ocean kayak be better for warm weather?

DylloS 01-17-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohde88 (Post 15070479)
Ok, in all seriousness, I did a lot of paddling in Miami. If you're on lakes, could an ocean kayak be better for warm weather?

I'm not sure. What's the difference between and ocean kayak and regular?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use