E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   HELP : car wont start, code P0171/P0174 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966144)

stylzs 01-17-2013 12:46 PM

HELP : car wont start, code P0171/P0174

So my car started acting up about a month ago at a traffic light, wanting to die and no matter how much i hit the gas peddle it wouldnt go over 3k-4k rpm but little by little i managed to get it home where it finally died. so i turn the key and it cranks but nothing so i got the scanner and got the codes P0171/P0174.....so ive been spending about a month on here reading up on the causes and problems and heres what ive done so far :

checked all fuses in fuse box and all are good
replaced fuel filter
replaced fuel pump (i can hear it turn on and off)
replaced spark plugs
replaced air filter
cleaned the MAF sensor
checked all the boots for tears and are all good
checked the nipple on the fuel rail today and a lot of fuel came out

so i went to jump the car (since its been stopped for about a month) and left the cables on the battery for about 5 minutes and turn the key and NOTHING....fuel pump turns on, engine cranks and turns over, but doesnt start

Can anyone help me??? i dunno what else to do but take it to the mechanic :( maybe i missed something??

Could it be a bad battery??? i noticed that after i remove the jumper cables, the car doesnt turn over and theres a clicking noise when i turn the key but all the lights and flicker with the clicking noise for like 5 minutes and then dies???

UPDATE fuel lines were crossed when i changed my fuel filter :banghead: car running smoother then ever....thanks for the help guys, surprised no one thought of this tho lol :clap:

thanks guys

SupremeE46 01-17-2013 01:00 PM

You probably have a bad MAF or intake leak somewhere..

StahlBlau 01-17-2013 01:47 PM

I was having the same problems minus the starting, but I found it was a bad DISA valve. Its really easy to replace unfortunately, the part is quite expensive ($100used -$300ish new). I was lucky to find a cool guy on this forum who was selling one for pretty cheap.

My DISA valve crapped out at 102k so its possible that this could be it.

stylzs 01-17-2013 05:05 PM

any other ideas??? battery maybe??

BMWCaptain 01-17-2013 08:24 PM

I had same codes p0171 p0174 and found out it was my DISA. Fixed it and now it idles fine.

jfoj 01-17-2013 08:37 PM

Suggest you read the first 2 links below in my signature.

Keep in mind, many times even if you find a single problem like the DISA that seems to clear your codes, you may in fact have other problems.

The only way to verify you engine is running properly is to verify fuel trims with a scan tool that can read real time data.

Also while you are at it, verify you coolant temp is correct as well, see this link - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=thermostat

Landlorder 01-18-2013 09:58 AM

Did any lights on your dash turn on before the car died? Like battery light ? dsc/traction control light or brake light for eg?

Mango 01-18-2013 10:17 AM

I highly suggest you read the sentence in my sig under the picture of my car.

BMWCaptain 01-18-2013 11:32 AM

Suggest you read my posts here and in other threads.

You need to take your battery to get charged and tested first. Advance auto parts can do it rather quickly.

Start there,
Then check your fuses again.
Check your disa to see if it is bad.

After you have done that we can go further.

stylzs 01-18-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landlorder (Post 15072959)
Did any lights on your dash turn on before the car died? Like battery light ? dsc/traction control light or brake light for eg?

yea everything turns on on the dash when the car has the jumper cables connected, radio turns on and the engine cranks and turns just, doesnt start

going to buy a new battery at walmart tonight and if thats not the problem, ill just return it

arvinny 01-18-2013 07:36 PM

replace intake manifold runner control, clear codes

Arvin's Samsung Galaxy S3

jfoj 01-18-2013 07:46 PM

Charge/replaced battery.

Before turning key on, push throttle pedal to the floor and hold it there, then turn the key and try to crank engine for up to 20 seconds at a time.

Have been seeing many flooded cars in the cold weather lately.

If your try to start car with pedal to the floor and nothing, try the opposite, get a can of Starting Fluid, good 2 second shot into MAF opening once air filter has been removed.

Also if the engine sounds like it is spinning too fast, then you may have to pull plugs, put about a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder, turn engine over a few times, put plugs back and and see what happens.

Good luck!

stylzs 01-19-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvinny (Post 15075035)
replace intake manifold runner control, clear codes

what is that???

stylzs 01-19-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 15075065)
Charge/replaced battery.

Before turning key on, push throttle pedal to the floor and hold it there, then turn the key and try to crank engine for up to 20 seconds at a time.

Have been seeing many flooded cars in the cold weather lately.

If your try to start car with pedal to the floor and nothing, try the opposite, get a can of Starting Fluid, good 2 second shot into MAF opening once air filter has been removed.

Also if the engine sounds like it is spinning too fast, then you may have to pull plugs, put about a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder, turn engine over a few times, put plugs back and and see what happens.

Good luck!

thanks, i will try this after i replace the battery......also your links were actually the first things i read when i started having this problem, thanks

arvinny 01-19-2013 05:46 AM

its what people call a disa

drbworld 01-19-2013 06:26 AM

Sounds more like a spark issue. Test to see if your getting a spark. Than test for fuel on the fuel line pressure second.

BMWCaptain 01-19-2013 09:46 AM

YES, you should clear the codes to see if they go away or other codes come up.

stylzs 01-21-2013 03:07 PM

UPDATE : went to check on the car today and hook it back up with jumper cables, then i realized that i never checked the fuses under the hood so i checked them and they were all good....so 15 minutes go by and i turn the key....all lights come on, fuel pump turns on and i turn the key....engine turns over and doesnt start.

so i decide to check the fuel nipple again and this time no fuel came out of it. so i turn the key to position 2, fuel pump turn on and i give it another go and same thing. i check the nipple again and no fuel......so it has the be the fuel pump relay right???

i have a half of tank of gas, so im not leaking fuel anywhere

anyone??

BMWCaptain 01-21-2013 04:11 PM

Before you go and assume it is the fuel pump relay, check your power at the fuel pump. If you don't have proper 12v, then check your power for the fuel pump working back thru fuses, to relay and then ebox fuse. If you do have power, then you need to go forward and check your fuel pump, and then fuel filter.

jfoj 01-21-2013 04:15 PM

2 words x 2

Starting Fluid

Secret OBC