E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   vibration with "thump, thump, thump" sound (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966473)

caleb6 01-19-2013 10:54 AM

vibration with "thump, thump, thump" sound

I've been researching this, but don't seem to see a discussion matching my symptoms. I'm a noob when it comes to car work, but learning fast.

Anyway, on heavy acceleration in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd I get a vibration and sound from what sounds like right underneath the center armrest. It's related to RPM, and comes around 2900'ish and then again at 3700'ish. THere is a very solid rumbling type sound accompanying it.

Like I said, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, I'm hoping someone can say oh yea, that your U-joints or something.

thoughts?

Thanks!!

E46Moonlight 01-19-2013 11:00 AM

Search guibo

caleb6 01-19-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Moonlight (Post 15076272)
Search guibo

read all about it, but that's further upfront isn't it? And, mine looks in pretty good shape.

caleb6 01-19-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Moonlight (Post 15076272)
Search guibo

by the way, what type of AE's do you have, and are they on A/L headlights?

E46Moonlight 01-19-2013 11:04 AM

Then maybe the center support for the driveshaft

E46Moonlight 01-19-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caleb6 (Post 15076282)
by the way, what type of AE's do you have, and are they on A/L headlights?

I have Umnitza Orion V2s one stock bi-Xeon headlights

Kubica 01-19-2013 04:53 PM

I would change the transfer case fluid and front diff fluid.

Have a good look at transfer case mount, look for bent wheels, check tire pressures, etc.

caleb6 01-20-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubica (Post 15077000)
I would change the transfer case fluid and front diff fluid.

Have a good look at transfer case mount, look for bent wheels, check tire pressures, etc.

changed all those fluid less then 10,000 miles ago. Wheels are good, and its not tire pressure dependent.

I'm thinking it may be the transfer case rubber buffer, number 2 below. I'm gonna replace it and see :banghead:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/t/x/96.png

Thanks for the help!

dmax 01-20-2013 02:39 PM

Before you give up on wheels...did you look at them for flat spots? Even if balanced, you can have a flat spot you'd feel. Spin each wheel by hand and look at the rims for a 'hop' indicating flat spot. If you find that up front, move it to the back.

Often times tire balance issues show themselves at a particular speed...and you can often drive up to them and past them without issue...but there will be a range where you'll notice it...and it would vibrate the whole car...so you could think it's coming from anywhere really.

You can see part of the guibo...but if you look closely, see if the metal spacers through the guibo are firmly attached to the rubber. It might look from from the outer edge, but not be where the bolts go through. Take a close picture of it for us.

caleb6 01-20-2013 06:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK, here are some close ups of the GUIBO:

caleb6 01-20-2013 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here is the transfer case buffer I think I will replace:

325xittt 01-21-2013 09:49 PM

I'm guessing the center support bearing.

caleb6 01-22-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325xittt (Post 15083346)
I'm guessing the center support bearing.

Are you saying part number 9 below or number 8 which appears to be the carrier AND the bearing as one unit?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/m/t/140.png

325xittt 01-22-2013 06:38 AM

I'm guessing its the carrier number 8. The bearing 9 floats in a rubber membrane in the carrier housing. I'm guessing that has deteriorated. Dont forget item 11 a thick sticky gooey double sided tape that helps stabilize the carrier. Also the Bently manual say to pre-load the bearing by sliding it back (?) about 10 mm before tightening the mounting bolts all the way. You should consider replacing item 1 (guido) since it has to be removed to get to the bearing. Match mark your splines at both end before removing the axle. I used a oil filter strap wrench to loosen the item 5 locking collar

caleb6 01-22-2013 06:54 AM

You did this job already? You're close to me. Maybe a case 'a beer help a brother out deal here? Just someone to stand by and give support, with an educated sense of what it's suppose to go like, would be a huge benefit.

Kubica 01-22-2013 06:59 AM

^the CSB is probably fine. I'm not sure why everyone wants to replace them all of a sudden.

Check to see if the rubber has pulled away from the metal center of the TC mount at all. If so, replace it. The guibo looks fine.

Rotate your tires front to rear and see if anything changes.

miweber929 01-22-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubica (Post 15084156)
^the CSB is probably fine. I'm not sure why everyone wants to replace them all of a sudden.

Check to see if the rubber has pulled away from the metal center of the TC mount at all. If so, replace it. The guibo looks fine.

Rotate your tires front to rear and see if anything changes.

I' guessing it's because I replaced mine. This forum is the most monkey-see, monkey-doo place I've ever visited; if someone has a P0174 code they think they NEED to replace the DISA because someone mentioned the did that and the code went away so that's the accepted fix now......

OP, the last 2 things Kubica mentioned are probably a bigger factor and a better place to start. The TCB is a PITA to do according to the shop but made the biggest difference in my vibration of the car and overall solid feel. The XI has no other transmission mounts than this, so it's imperative it's tight.

caleb6 01-22-2013 12:43 PM

Thanks guys. The rubber on the TC mount did look pretty bad internally - cracks and definately "dryed" out looking. I'll look into replacing it (have one ordered already anyway) and rotate the tires and see what that does.

Anything to look out for when replacing that TC mount rubber? Like preloading the CSB to the driveshaft removal type things to watch out for?

ixtoxi 01-22-2013 04:24 PM

Have you absolutely ruled-out the CV axles up front? Sometimes it is hard to tell where the vibration is coming from when these are the problem. Does your vibration issue happen when you first start out on a drive, or only after driving for a while?

dmax 01-22-2013 04:41 PM

Why doesn't your guibo have 6 nuts on it? Also the e-bolts you have don't belong on the guibo afaik, but on the other end of driveshaft. But, there should be nuts on each of the bolts. Looks like yours only has 3 nuts on. Did this issue happen after you'd had guibo replaced recently?

Ah, the wrong bolts are too short for you to get nuts on...that's one thing...didn't think that flange was threaded, but it still takes nuts on mine...check realoem for your car and make sure you get that part right.