E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Right to walk away??? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966488)

Nemesis251 01-19-2013 12:17 PM

Right to walk away???
 
I've been looking for a M3 for a while and today I went to check out a Carbon Black vert at the local BMW dealership. The car had a little over 67,000 miles and the test drive was great. I asked for any service history that they could find but the salesperson was only able to get info up to around 39,000 miles. I asked if they could find out if Stage II inspection was done in which they told me no. The manager said they would do the inspection and take care of any problems if I would buy the car, I told him to call me after the inspection was done then we can talk. The manager then stated, "That's the best solution he could offer." I walked out. Was I right?

Steezy 01-19-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis251 (Post 15076430)
I've been looking for a M3 for a while and today I went to check out a Carbon Black vert at the local BMW dealership. The car had a little over 67,000 miles and the test drive was great. I asked for any service history that they could find but the salesperson was only able to get info up to around 39,000 miles. I asked if they could find out if Stage II inspection was done in which they told me no. The manager said they would do the inspection and take care of any problems if I would buy the car, I told him to call me after the inspection was done then we can talk. The manager then stated, "That's the best solution he could offer." I walked out. Was I right?

They told you "no" on they didn't know if the inspection was done? Or they told you "no" as in it was not done?

MyNewRag 01-19-2013 12:51 PM

In my opinion...YES

Funny thing about cars...."There's another one just down the street".
Keep looking, you'll find your baby

Nemesis251 01-19-2013 12:52 PM

No as in they didn't know if it was done. The manager claimed the car was checked out by his service dept but could not say it has been done. Shouldn't that be tracked with the VIN once its done by a BMW dealer?

3coupe 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis251 (Post 15076430)
I've been looking for a M3 for a while and today I went to check out a Carbon Black vert at the local BMW dealership. The car had a little over 67,000 miles and the test drive was great. I asked for any service history that they could find but the salesperson was only able to get info up to around 39,000 miles. I asked if they could find out if Stage II inspection was done in which they told me no. The manager said they would do the inspection and take care of any problems if I would buy the car, I told him to call me after the inspection was done then we can talk. The manager then stated, "That's the best solution he could offer." I walked out. Was I right?

Get it in writing and buy the car. Make sure it says any problem, that gives you the right to walk away for pretty much any reason if they don't fix it to your standard.

AmazingNutz 01-19-2013 01:12 PM

First rule of buying a car: don't get attached to the car! Oh and BTW, never EVER trust someone when they tell you not to worry and that everything would be fixed when you come back or if you buy the car on the spot. Guess what? They ain't fixing shjt.

Sent from my G6

mfanatic12 01-19-2013 01:19 PM

Yes you did the right thing. I wouldn't of done anything different.

Steezy 01-19-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis251 (Post 15076496)
No as in they didn't know if it was done. The manager claimed the car was checked out by his service dept but could not say it has been done. Shouldn't that be tracked with the VIN once its done by a BMW dealer?

It can be tracked by VIN, ONLY if it was done by a BMW dealer. If it was done by an INDY shop, you can't track it. The only way of knowing is getting back to the previous owner(s). Don't fall into the dealer's BS. They say they will take care of everything, just so you can fall into it and buy the car... most likely if the valves need adjusting (part of inspection II) they probably won't do it. If the previous owner didn't do inspection II, who knows what else he's passed up on. I say wait and find a car you know has been maintained and taken care of.

VonGeiss 01-19-2013 01:43 PM

I wouldn't be scared off right away. If it's a nice, clean car, maybe the PO had an indy do all the work when the warranty ran up? If it's at a BMW dealership and they're selling it and not sending it to auction, chances are it's a decent car.

Plus they said they'd do inspection 2 for you, that's a big chunk of change there.

Alan 01-19-2013 01:47 PM

I'm missing specifically why you walked away from the car. No-one is going to do a major Inspection on a car when you are making zero commitment to it. They said they would do the Inspection if you bought it. Thats reasonable. Just get an independent PPI, then agree to buy contingent upon the Inspection being done before delivery.

Re: no records after 39K miles - that means it was done at indy shops - which is probably true of >95% of cars that old. Short of finding a single owner car (probably about 1% of M3s out there now) - I'm not sure how you plan to improve upon that.

Nemesis251 01-19-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 15076582)
I'm missing specifically why you walked away from the car. No-one is going to do a major Inspection on a car when you are making zero commitment to it. They said they would do the Inspection if you bought it. Thats reasonable. Just get an independent PPI, then agree to buy contingent upon the Inspection being done before delivery.

Re: no records after 39K miles - that means it was done at indy shops - which is probably true of >95% of cars that old. Short of finding a single owner car (probably about 1% of M3s out there now) - I'm not sure how you plan to improve upon that.

I understand the dealer not having the records. Not a issue. I asked for any info they had just because the more, the better. Being a BMW dealer, wouldn't they check the vehicle and inspect it before putting it out for sale? Wouldn't they know that anyone who has done some homework about a M3 would ask about that? I was upfront before even test driving the car that my only concern was the inspection. I told the manager that I didn't want to buy without the inspection done. I offered to come back in if they would do it. He offered to let me talk to the service manager, after waiting a little over 30 mins, the sales manager came back without the service manager asking if will buy the car if they did the inspection, I told him I want to buy the car but the inspection is my only concern. He replied, if I bought the car today, he would take care of any problems found. I told him I would like to wait till the inspection done, then go from there. The manager told me that's the best solution he could offer, I told him to have a nice day and left.

Nemesis251 01-19-2013 02:35 PM

The car in question:http://www.bmwofmobile.com/used/BMW/...af731a82c2.htm

sakumaxp 01-19-2013 02:38 PM

inspection II being done by the dealer, thats a HUGE amount of cash being saved, i did mine at an indy shop for 1300ish. i dont see why you walked away, get a PPI done if it checks out ok, and has SOME service records, why not buy?

d'ray18 01-19-2013 03:52 PM

Your first instinct is usually right.. Keep looking if felt uncomfortable..

avincent52 01-19-2013 05:21 PM

They're not going to do Inspection II "on spec." Most buyers won't insist, and if they end up sending it off to auction, they won't get that investment back.
I'd have a PPI done, and then buy it contingent on Inspection II being done.
Sounds like the sales guy is a jerk, but you're not marrying him. Guy who sold me my car was a jerk too but the car was perfect.
I'd think a cold and snowy January is a good time to buy a convertible M3.

MyNewRag 01-19-2013 05:42 PM

They don't even know how to do math. Stay away.

The ad states "at $1050 below Kelly Blue Book..." They list the car at 23,990 and KBB price is 24,600 (again, these numbers are in THEIR ad)

To me, that is only $610 under KBB.
When sellers are this stupid, I tend to stay away. But that's just me.


IDK maybe u do math differently...

cityjohn 01-19-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis251 (Post 15076430)
I've been looking for a M3 for a while and today I went to check out a Carbon Black vert at the local BMW dealership. The car had a little over 67,000 miles and the test drive was great. I asked for any service history that they could find but the salesperson was only able to get info up to around 39,000 miles. I asked if they could find out if Stage II inspection was done in which they told me no. The manager said they would do the inspection and take care of any problems if I would buy the car, I told him to call me after the inspection was done then we can talk. The manager then stated, "That's the best solution he could offer." I walked out. Was I right?

That's not always a bad thing, depending on how you manage it. They know different customers have different priorities. They're not going to invest in totally reconditioning the car when one customer may just need fresh floor mats and a full tank to be happy, and another would forgo cosmetics as long as a valve adjustment was done.

Just list the items on a make-ready. That way they know you're definitely buying, and the dealer MUST take care of everything on the list, as it's an integral part of the contract.

yannis4ny 01-19-2013 07:44 PM

this is it right? http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_U
This car has an accident, minor or major doesn't really matter, it drops the price because it had bodywork.
also the previous guy bought it on 06/25/2012! Why did he sell it?
I wouldn't buy this car. I consider you lucky for walking away!

NICKBRUM 01-19-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonGeiss (Post 15076576)
I wouldn't be scared off right away. If it's a nice, clean car, maybe the PO had an indy do all the work when the warranty ran up? If it's at a BMW dealership and they're selling it and not sending it to auction, chances are it's a decent car.

Plus they said they'd do inspection 2 for you, that's a big chunk of change there.

Seriously not ever car out there is going to have a full paper trail along with it. That doesn't mean it is a POS. If you could make the purchase contingent on completion of inspection 2 I don't see a problem, especially if you negotiated a price your happy with.

Kwipp 01-19-2013 08:45 PM

Vert... yup walk away... But in all srs if they are willing to stand behind the car and do inspection two I would consider it. Inspection 2 is pricey.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use