E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Why *not* buy an M3 vert? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966542)

avincent52 01-19-2013 05:29 PM

Why *not* buy an M3 vert?

Noticed in another thread a mention that M3 convertibles don't have the same subframe issues as the coupes?

Which got me to thinking. I've always with the convertibles I've driven, mostly crappy rental cars, but I've been happy to pop the top even when it's cold or for a short ride. (I use my sunroof constantly in my wife's car and my old e46 wagon)

So what are the drawbacks/tradeoffs of an M3 vert?
Do they develop squeaks and rattles and cowl shake?
Is the windscreen well designed for top down highway driving?
Is the top well designed and reliable?
What's it like to drive with the top *up?*

Arock1092 01-19-2013 05:40 PM

Verts are for chicks and cali guys.!

cityjohn 01-19-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avincent52 (Post 15077078)

So what are the drawbacks/tradeoffs of an M3 vert? Not permitted in wild animal parks and some racing events.
Do they develop squeaks and rattles and cowl shake? Yes on squeaks, not much on cowl shake
Is the windscreen well designed for top down highway driving? Yes, whether you mean the front windshield or the optional wind deflector above the back seat.
Is the top well designed and reliable? It's a good design but complex. This forum has been invaluable in diagnosing. I've been able to solve all problems on my own.
What's it like to drive with the top *up?*Fewer squeaks, too dark, glass rear window makes it tolerable. Be skilled at mirror usage as you'll have a big blind spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arock1092 (Post 15077105)
Verts are for chicks and cali guys.!

Absolutely :thumbsup:

emax 01-19-2013 06:35 PM

People don't like verts because they are slower for weighing ~400 extra lbs.

m3e46freak 01-19-2013 06:40 PM

The e64 m3 verts are great looking... but very heavy and not allowed on track.

Alan 01-19-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonovanM3 (Post 15077221)
The e64 m3 verts are great looking... but very heavy and not allowed on track.

You can get them on track. You just need to find an organization and track that accepts verts.

B_Cyrus 01-19-2013 07:29 PM

people don't like verts because they are insecure and have small wieners.

ImMolton 01-19-2013 08:40 PM

Slower than coupes.

morningisbad 01-19-2013 08:51 PM

Love my vert. The extra 400 lbs is totally worth being able to drop the top in the summer :-)

ZeroOath 01-19-2013 09:13 PM

I was looking for a coupe but came across a great deal on a vert that I couldn't pass up.

I like the vert M3 a lot actually. I live in an area that gets ridiculously hot in the summer so being able to put the top down is great.

They are slower than coupes and heavier but it is of no concern to me. I'm not one to bash and rag on my car just because its a sports car.

Nothing wrong with owning a vert. Plus hardtop looks really good.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App

fatskidmark 01-19-2013 10:19 PM

Buy a vert if that's what YOU want and Fuk everbody esle who hates on you! :pimpin:

avincent52 01-19-2013 10:21 PM

Seems to me that them not being tracked is a good thing--at least if you're buying.
And I don't know what the speed limits are where you live, but most places I've driven a 325 wagon was plenty fast enough to lose your license.

m3e46freak 01-19-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 15077327)
You can get them on track. You just need to find an organization and track that accepts verts.

Bingo.. none that I have been with let any verts on...cept for autocross..

Snik 01-19-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Cyrus (Post 15077332)
people don't like verts because they are insecure and have small wieners.

This....

that aside tho, its(the soft top) one for thing to break, but one less... dont be fooled tho, verts do have floor failure, its just very very rare.

think of them as a very very very big sunroof. If youre insecure, then dont get one, but other than that, theyre great, especially when modded. This is my 1st vert, and man do i love this thing, i can see why those that have verts always get another... the extra weight of the vert, well honeslty, i dont notice it, doesnt affect handling at my pace on the streets, and i believe the difference in 0-60 times is like 0.2 seconds, do you really thinkin youre gonna notice that?
Id like to track it one day, but ive yet to find a place that allows them... other than that tho... whats not to love. and chicks dig em... ghey dudes too, it seems, but thats neither here nor there.

Snik 01-19-2013 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaned it up today and changed all drivetrain fluids.
LOVE this thing...

Having a sweet loud exhaust makes it even more enjoyable too.

Ballstowalls 01-20-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snik (Post 15077749)
Cleaned it up today and changed all drivetrain fluids.
LOVE this thing...

Having a sweet loud exhaust makes it even more enjoyable too.

+1 on the loud exhaust. Down shift in a tunnel and you will se why I got the vert.
also my vert is faster then my friends hardtop and all I have is intake and exhaust.

If you live in a place were there's a lot of sun go for it. If I didn't live in the San Fernando Valley forget about it lol

nojoda 01-20-2013 02:05 AM

Ive owned a 2002 coupe for 5 years and a 2006 for about 1 year.

I LOVE my vert.
the convo for 400lbs is irrelevant unless you want to be speed-racer 24/7 with manual seats, rear seat delete, door panels gutted and etc...

no need for it.

vert all the way, and especially a 6 speed

s1monove 01-20-2013 04:40 AM

I'd have loved to have bought a vert when i was looking. (even though in the UK the weather is sh*t most of the time!) lol. Unfortunately, every one i test drive was a dog. In fact most of the coupes were awful too, but i just happened to find an outstanding coupe before i found a vert. Luck of the draw i suppose. They both look great!! :smokin:

McGary911 01-20-2013 06:56 AM

Most have covered the main points here. If you live someplace sunny like I do, it just makes a 'vert that much better. I honestly have the top down about 65% of the time I drive the car. It can get a bit windy at highway speed with the top down. It's not enough to bother me, but it may bother some people. IF it does, just keep an eye out for a factory windblocker. There's typically one to be found on eBay and they end up going for about $250 or so.

Every once in a while I'll hear a little squeak here and there, but that's rare. One guy either here on on m3forums has a nice DIY on how to lubricate everything on the top that should make it even quieter than it is now, I just haven't had a chance to do it yet.

While it's slower than the coupe by a tick, it's still very fast.

The top is very easy to use. 1 button up or down. It seems to work well. It's not bad to drive with it up. There's a nice inner liner so it looks nice and smooth. It's reasonably quiet, I'm sure it's not as quiet as a coupe, but not bothersome at all. One bonus is it's quicker to clean\wax the car with no paint above the windowline. You WILL have to maintain the top though, but not every wash. Many (me included) really like the Raggtopp cleaner and sealer. It'll make water bead up on your top almost like wax. You'll want to ensure you get a car with good leather, and stay on top of it more than a coupe, as UV\Sun is the enemy.

If you're every going to run anything from the trunk to the interior (stereo cables, etc), it's a bit more complicated, as the rear headrests are part of an integrated, pop up roll bar system. This is also the reason I can't do a stealth Valentine 1 install in the rear headrest (I may try the front, but haven't gotten to it yet).

I used to live in NJ, and while I wouldn't be able to drop the top nearly as much as I do in Florida and I'd still go for it. I just may invest in a hardtop for the snowy months.

This is the most overall fun car I've ever owned.

Adamo99 01-20-2013 07:02 AM

I love my vert. Ignore the insecure guys that can't/won't drive one. They're a blast to drive in the summer months.