E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   E46 Sub/Amp Install (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966691)

haris23 01-20-2013 03:13 PM

E46 Sub/Amp Install

Alright, so I have installed subs and amps for quite a long time. But I have never dealt with a LOC (line out converter). I have a 2002 325i, non HK system. I have a line out converter, (Raptor LOCA25 to be exact). The damn thing did not come with any instruction manual at all. Thus far, I tapped into my left 6X9, and wired the LOC. It came with 5 wires to use, a brown which I assume in a ground, a white and white with stripe, and a black and black with stripe. I am assuming the ones with stripes are the negatives. My amp turns on no problem, RCAs are connected, grounds are good. But I am not getting any sound. What am I doing wrong? I faded the sound to the rear speakers as well and no subs.

dslboomer 01-20-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haris23 (Post 15078942)
Alright, so I have installed subs and amps for quite a long time. But I have never dealt with a LOC (line out converter). I have a 2002 325i, non HK system. I have a line out converter, (Raptor LOCA25 to be exact). The damn thing did not come with any instruction manual at all. Thus far, I tapped into my left 6X9, and wired the LOC. It came with 5 wires to use, a brown which I assume in a ground, a white and white with stripe, and a black and black with stripe. I am assuming the ones with stripes are the negatives. My amp turns on no problem, RCAs are connected, grounds are good. But I am not getting any sound. What am I doing wrong? I faded the sound to the rear speakers as well and no subs.

It is better to tap into both left and right channels.
Here is what I found.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin...ng-myself.html

haris23 01-20-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dslboomer (Post 15079228)
It is better to tap into both left and right channels.
Here is what I found.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin...ng-myself.html

Do you think that is the issue?

LTD36 02-15-2013 01:35 PM

Maybe the polarity is off if you split both channels on the amp off of one sub line? Also, I have a 325i, non HK, non cold-weather package. I'm not sure how to tap into the rear deck speakers. It looks to be completely sealed off from the underside in the trunk and the seats don't fold down either, so taking the rear deck speakers out seems like a big hassle for a small project that I'm working on. How do you get to those speakers without removing the back seats?

Rigrig 02-15-2013 03:40 PM

I believe the brown is the remote, same one that goes to the amp

joshism 03-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

What kind of amp do you have? Check your amp to see if it has a hi-level (speaker level input). If you do, then you don't even need the LOC in the first place. Hi-level input has superior quality.

fixnit4u 07-05-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

I did nearly the same thing and have the same problem with my '02 325ci non-HK business CD system. I'm not sure if the problem is my LOC is not compatible/working, or if I need to tap into the wires going into the factory amp instead of the rear deck speakers. I want to try tapping into wires going into the factory amp, but after much searching, I still cant find a wiring diagram for my car. I found several posts with a lot of info, but my factory amp has one large black connector going into it instead of 1 gray and 1 black connector.

Any ideas???

fixnit4u 07-06-2013 06:12 PM

E46 Sub/Amp Install

Found out my LOC was no good.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Halston@BSW 07-12-2013 01:51 PM

Tapping into the input side of the amp is a better solution overall to get full range audio. I can provide our guide if anyone is interested?

fixnit4u 07-15-2013 01:09 PM

E46 Sub/Amp Install

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halston@BSW (Post 15565797)
Tapping into the input side of the amp is a better solution overall to get full range audio. I can provide our guide if anyone is interested?

Yes, please. I've tried to search the board and all over the Internet but can't find the wiring diagram for amp input wires on a non HK system.

MATT14 07-18-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixnit4u (Post 15571558)
Yes, please. I've tried to search the board and all over the Internet but can't find the wiring diagram for amp input wires on a non HK system.

Any of y'all have the guide for this??

StereoInstaller1 07-18-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixnit4u (Post 15571558)

It is very easy.

First, you want to use a Metra 70-8590 adapter (dont forget your antenna adapter too). Do NOT get the harness adapter with RCAs on it, it is useless.

Power wiring is as normal: red to red, yellow to yellow, blue to blue/white, orange to orange, but the speaker wiring should be done differently.

Here is the deal: the stock deck makes about 3 watts X4. Pretty much all aftermarket decks make 12W X4 (yeah, I know, it says "50X4"...it's a lie, they make about 12X4) and we need to change that.

What this means is if you wire your new aftermarket deck using the schematic as shown on the package, the input stage of the stock amp will be overloaded horribly, causing the typical poor SQ of aftermarket decks in a BMW.

So, here is how you fix that: use ONLY the speaker positives from the deck.

That's correct, all the wires from the deck that have black stripes do not get used, but simply insulated and left alone. It is a hard concept for some people to wrap their minds around, but I am a pro with 32 years as an installer and have done this with hundreds of BMWs...it works really well.

So now, you have all the "black stripe" wires from the adapter...connect all 4 of them to the black wire, along with the decks black ground wire.

Again, the speaker negatives from the deck do not get used at all: white/black, gray/black, green/black and purple/black just get insulated and ignored.

What this does is allow the deck to make a far more digestible 3 or 4 watts per channel. The sound quality is typically better than stock, but only due to the better SQ of the deck...the amp is still what drives the speakers.

The other advantage is that the new deck runs much cooler, as its own internal amplifiers are not as stressed...all in all, this is the best/easiest/best sounding method for using the stock amplifier.

GL and HTH

Luke