E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Noisy Vanos, Lifters or something else w/video (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=966830)

glacket 01-21-2013 11:23 AM

Noisy Vanos, Lifters or something else w/video

Hi, I just purchased a used 2002 330i through private sale. I am ok with everything except the tapping from the engine. I just want to make sure its not critical and hopefully wont need a new motor. i've listened to alot of different vanos, disa and tappet recordings so far and they all sound a little different so i figured i would post mine as well. Anyone have an idea of what this could be? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn8mb...ature=youtu.be

glacket 01-21-2013 12:11 PM

I forgot to mention that i checked spark plugs even though i may not have checked them right. I know absolutely nothing about cars. i figured with this car, and due to the high expense of repair, i figured it was time to learn. I watched the youtue vids on how to change spark plugs, and following that i was able to check them. All of them seemed tight to me. i loosened a few and retightened them just incase. Is there another part of the spark plug houseing that could be loose that i could check?

05M3SMG 01-21-2013 12:14 PM

When you rev it, Does the knocking get louder and faster?

glacket 01-22-2013 09:16 AM

yes it does. I also checked the oil level and it looks fine. Its little dirty but i would not say it needs to be changed yet. Supposedly the person i bought it from just changed it, but as a precaution i am changing all the fluids when i can. I ended up having a "Post" sale inspection done instead of a pre sale like i should have at a decent Indy place. The technician said it sounded like either the rocker or camshaft and that it may have been caused by not being starved for oil at one point. Anyway he said a rebuilt head could fix it if it were the camshafts. He did not take the valve covers off to check for wear. that would be the next step. Since i dont know much about cars i dont know if this is something i can check since I wouldnt know how to tell if any of the parts were worn. i am guessing if i were to remove the valve cover, i would have to replace the gasket afterwards?

Mango 01-22-2013 09:20 AM

If the sound gets faster when you rev it, that's not a good sign. If I had to guess, the car was overheated before and headgasket blew with introduced water into the oil and one or more of the crank or connecting rod bearings took a dump. Look for any signs of overheat/work being done on the engine

Barneyhyphen 01-22-2013 05:17 PM

Hate to say it but that sounds remarkably like a big end bearing. Too deep a sound to be a lifter and appears louder at the bottom of the block? Sounds like one or more may have wiped. Think I'm on board with Mango.

BH

adaseb 01-22-2013 05:36 PM

Yeah it doesn't sound like a noisy lifter. Noisy lifters are usually heard from the top of the engine and its a gentle ticking noise.

Yours sounds like a knocking noise.

How many miles on it?

glacket 01-22-2013 10:29 PM

The indy tech that looked at my car actually wasnt concerned about it, or maybe they just sucked. I had to mention the noise to them and apparently they had to listen to it again to and pay attention for it. the car has 130,000 miles, auto transmission. and going back on what i said before, No i do not think its get noticeably louder or faster when i rev it, but i would have to verify and pay attention. I can hear it best by the valve cover but definitly louder from underneath. its apparently had alot of owners and i bet at least one of ran the car really hard and didnt care for it properly. Im basing this off the fact that aftermarket springs were put on and they are starting to rust and one of them has a hose clamp wedged in it, possbily to compress the spring more. Also i saw a old receipt for falken tires in the paperwork, since they are cheaper tires im guessing the owner didnt have alot of money and who knows what other components they chinced out on for repairs.

Nerdy46 01-22-2013 10:32 PM

That sir.... is rod knock...

Nerdy46 01-22-2013 10:38 PM

I really hope you didn't pay much for this car....

glacket 01-23-2013 07:03 AM

Thanks for the input. I was afraid of that. definitly it sounds like i got ripped then. just curious, is it possbile to fix or would i just be better off trying to sell to someone as dumb as me?

spencers 01-23-2013 07:40 AM

Video is definitely knock.

I've had lifter tick after autocross a couple times. Doesn't sound like that.

glacket 01-23-2013 08:28 AM

I really appreciate the input guys. So i paid a little under 8 and it looks like i got swindled hard and apparently the Indy i took it to just sucks big time or was being nice and didnt want to tell me i got bent hard. What are my options from here? I would like to keep the money loss to as little as possible. I am guessing that fixing this would cost more than a couple thousand?

DHK 01-23-2013 08:41 AM

I think any comment on what exactly that is just from that rather limited video is kind of premature. One with the engine reving a bit, and also one with an open hood would help.
That doesnt sound good, but noises always sound way way worse form the wheel with the hood closed.

glacket 01-23-2013 09:05 AM

ok. I will get some more video today when i get home. its funny, the day after i got the car, i told my father in law who helped me inspect the car before purchase, that it sounded like a knocking sound. He told me it was probably noisy lifters, but he cant hear to well. oh well. Not his fault, just bad luck.The indy tech test drove the car and didnt mention the engine noise until i brought it up. even then he said it was not a problem. i should have had a pre sale inspection done, and at a more reputable indy shop i guess..

glacket 01-23-2013 06:55 PM

Ok i got two new videos. It sounds alot like knocking to me. This sucks i think i got ripped off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hnaFzeRatA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdOaL5VXU7w

Nerdy46 01-23-2013 09:54 PM

Take it to another mechanic and have it looked out.

If it is a rod knock run it till it dies.

DHK 01-24-2013 04:39 AM

Yeah upon further review that sounds an awful lot like rod knock.

Joshwa1234 01-25-2013 10:36 PM

Does it smoke at all from the exhaust when you rev it because it could possibly be just piston slap or a wrist pin..........

Nerdy46 01-25-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshwa1234 (Post 15097382)
Does it smoke at all from the exhaust when you rev it because it could possibly be just piston slap or a wrist pin..........

Piston slap is common if you have 2 different metals with different coefficients of thermal expansion... IE aluminum pistons/ Iron block... Im new to BMW's but i think post m50 most blocks are aluminum...

Or if your rings are shot to all hell...