E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Dying forum or just unhelpful? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967289)

Alias206 01-23-2013 03:14 PM

Dying forum or just unhelpful?

Wondering if there is a better forum someone can recommend to get help etc. on my M3. Ive asked numerous questions to members and sponsors and posted questions and almost never receive a response here anymore.

dmax 01-23-2013 03:18 PM

Try General Forum here for general issues, but there is a lot of M knowledge there too.

Don't know of the other M only forums, but I'm sure there are a few.

mystert 01-23-2013 03:40 PM

The forum isnt dead, its just full of a bunch of inexperienced fools for the most part(there are still a few that know what they are talking about). They go ahead and regurgitate what others say whether its right or wrong. If you go and post in General Forums be prepared for the BS that follows. The flavor of the week is currently "Maintenance", and the answer to How do I go about doing "insert anything here" is always, replace your cooling system or replace your entire suspension, if you dont have the money to do it then sell the car cause your cant afford it and are probably a college kid who doesnt deserve a BMW anyhow. It kinda sucks but its what we are stuck with. There is a lot of info here allready. Searching for old threads keeps you from pulling your hair out when peanut gallery responds to your tire vibration problem with "Your suspension is shot, spend 2000$ and replace the entire suspension"

Good Luck

dmax 01-23-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystert (Post 15089197)
The forum isnt dead, its just full of a bunch of inexperienced fools for the most part(there are still a few that know what they are talking about). They go ahead and regurgitate what others say whether its right or wrong. If you go and post in General Forums be prepared for the BS that follows. The flavor of the week is currently "Maintenance", and the answer to How do I go about doing "insert anything here" is always, replace your cooling system or replace your entire suspension, if you dont have the money to do it then sell the car cause your cant afford it and are probably a college kid who doesnt deserve a BMW anyhow. It kinda sucks but its what we are stuck with. There is a lot of info here allready. Searching for old threads keeps you from pulling your hair out when peanut gallery responds to your tire vibration problem with "Your suspension is shot, spend 2000$ and replace the entire suspension"

Good Luck

That's a little harsh...but maintenance has been a flavor of the week for many years.

You do save yourself much trouble by fixing systems and not just parts, especially if you're not a mechanic. Those who ask, rarely are, so 'replace it all' is actually a cheaper way for many to get better results...of course, not always.

A monkey can change a part, but you need to have a good bit of experience to diagnose a particular issue. I think General does pretty well in helping to get poorly or non-running cars in much better shape.

Mystert, I think you should redo your entire cooling system and suspension now, just to be safe! :lmao:

Supercar Ace 01-23-2013 03:59 PM

You can try you luck here on M3 Forum.Net :thumbsup:

Hope you get your questioned answered!

omhl 01-23-2013 04:55 PM

M3forum.net

im only on there now

mystert 01-23-2013 05:06 PM

I remember the good ole days when Kpeng posted the muffler delete mod etc and people did it and didn't bitch about it. If someone did that now all they would get is "that's dumb, it won't make your car faster, so don't do it, spend the money on maintenance" or "keep it stock".

I'm a ex auto mechanic who got his engineering degree. I also know what I'm talking about for the most part. Maybe that's why I get annoyed anymore when people post the regurgitated stuff.

When I was younger, if all people said was this stuff I would have never became a car guy. I had lots of positive experiences and good mentors. Dmax, mango and the rest of the guys who actually know what they are talking about, lets do just that, be a good mentor to these younger guys and teach them, be positive, and let them learn by their own mistakes. Don't just be a jerk and say replace everything or why don't you just search.

scca_ziptie 01-23-2013 05:57 PM

M3post and M3forum are two others that you might have luck with.. What is the current issue that you are having with your car if I might ask?

taylor192 01-23-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystert (Post 15089561)
Don't just be a jerk and say why don't you just search.

Polluting the forum with the same question over and over makes searching frustrating, so I'd rather see mods delete threads that ask the same question then tell the noob to search.

Steezy 01-23-2013 07:12 PM

M3forum.net. You will mostly get smart-ass remarks on here.

fatskidmark 01-23-2013 07:30 PM

Crayons make my tummy hurt... :facepalm:

danwilz 01-23-2013 08:23 PM

Im mostly on m3 forum .net now because this forum in the past year has gone to absolute shiit:hi:

MachRc 01-24-2013 09:05 AM

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/search....=27058443&psa=
I dont get it.

It looks like your questions were answered minus some ICE questions.

:confused:

scca_ziptie 01-24-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachRc (Post 15091252)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/search....=27058443&psa=
I dont get it.

It looks like your questions were answered minus some ICE questions.

:confused:

You have provided a broken link..

cak323i 01-24-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystert (Post 15089561)
...I had lots of positive experiences and good mentors. Dmax, mango and the rest of the guys who actually know what they are talking about, lets do just that, be a good mentor to these younger guys and teach them, be positive, and let them learn by their own mistakes. Don't just be a jerk and say replace everything or why don't you just search.

+1

Probably one of the best responses I have seen on this forum regarding mentoring people here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 15089869)
Polluting the forum with the same question over and over makes searching frustrating, so I'd rather see mods delete threads that ask the same question then tell the noob to search.

taylor, you got to remember that you were once a noob yourself....we all were. Yes, it does get frustrating on occasion when seeing similar threads pop up all the time but then that could be because people are just lazy or they just don't know how to search effectively... it doesn't help when people have the attitude "use the :search: feature noob"...

Usually when I partake in a thread I try to be constructive, avoid name calling, and provide links to help the OP out. If anything I may make a comment regarding name calling as it is unacceptable behavior on any forum. Nothing positive comes from belittling someone. That's my take on things...

Back on topic for OP...

If you desire information regarding your ///M a good starting point for information can be found here at E46F, and M3Forum. I have done lots of searches and research on both of these forums and have learned a lot. If you are not finding answers to questions you still have then by all means send me a PM :thumbsup: I'll see if I can help out :)

taylor192 01-24-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cak323i (Post 15091501)
taylor, you got to remember that you were once a noob yourself....we all were. Yes, it does get frustrating on occasion when seeing similar threads pop up all the time but then that could be because people are just lazy or they just don't know how to search effectively... it doesn't help when people have the attitude "use the :search: feature noob"...

Usually when I partake in a thread I try to be constructive, avoid name calling, and provide links to help the OP out. If anything I may make a comment regarding name calling as it is unacceptable behavior on any forum. Nothing positive comes from belittling someone. That's my take on things...

My take on things is different. You only encourage more repetitive posts which makes searching frustrating by answering these noobs questions rather than directing them to search for the answer. If someone didn't search first, then they should feel a little bit of shame when its pointed out. I'm OK with that, I'm not part of the "coddle" generation.

It also leads to problems where the informed members stop answering questions. If I logon and see 10 threads, 9 of which are repetitive crap, I am less inclined to look at the 10th thread which could maybe benefit from my expertise.

Less is more. This thread should be deleted, or at least moved out of this section.

mystert 01-24-2013 12:17 PM

From that logic, since the e46 is 15 or so years old now, practically all problems that will happen have occurred. This must be the case since there are so many repetitive questions, why not just lock the entire forum and make it a searchable archive with no new postings. Then everyone would have to search.

fatskidmark 01-24-2013 12:33 PM

^^2001 was the 1st yr for the E46 M3, 12 yrs old at the oldest...Juss say'n...

jhaurimn 01-24-2013 12:37 PM

M3forum . Net Will help you out a lot. Went there once I got my m3

KrasivataSabine 01-24-2013 01:00 PM

I don't think it's a question of comparing one forum to another. OP, google your problem and the first links will positively be to any of our proud BMW forums (bimmerforums, M3Forums, E46F, et all). I swear, between all these sites the E46 chassis has been studied through and through and through; anyone of them is a valid place to go to for advice. I usually just dig up old threads because someone has probably had in the past the same problem I'm having now.