E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   does one always need a reason? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967376)

B_Cyrus 01-24-2013 02:25 AM

does one always need a reason?

I sit here reading my comics, learning about ethics, monism, and neoplatonism.. I think to myself, why? What makes the reason of one more reasonable and exotic than the other, and why do we even ask that question?

Art, novels, and most laughed at "liberal art" subjects in the world, do nothing but contribute to the mind and imagination, and sometimes consequentially narcissism.

We have some intelligent people on this forum, so I ask the question: does one always need a reason? Can one create for the sake of creating without being chastised? Also think of the reasons why people ask this question, are they curious or just daft wobbo's? :hi:

k2pilot 01-24-2013 02:44 AM

Pure creativity with no functional purpose will always be questioned and frowned upon by most people, likely out of our culture's massive insecurity and generally low self esteem. If you don't understand it, then it could be threatening, either on a social, psychological, or practical level, couple that with a high likelihood of insecurity and you end up with a culture that has a bias against the new and different.

This article addresses how social networking has affected common interacts and experiences through "FOMO".
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/bu...ing.html?_r=1&

hizhinezz 01-24-2013 02:56 AM

It's funny because so much modern abstract art is actually more about reason and expression of underlying emotion or sentiment but to me something like a Pollock is so much more about spontaneous creativity for its own sake than say the Mona Lisa. I don't for one believe that we have to have a reason to create, but ultimately even just the fulfillment of the desire to do so is in itself a reason. Everything we do has some reason even if unconscious. Purpose is not a static concept that can be completely ruled out of any stage of organic life even if just because we are aging for the purpose of... Evolution. Everything we do, even dreaming, has reason though subconcious. I think that even when we try to assert the malleable concept of id in interpreting our personal system of rationalization and reason we admit that we have rationale for everything we do even when unknowing it. Of course, conscious reason is far more assertive than subconcious, but the whole nature of reason is so intrinsically engrained into the physiological self, I do not think you can ever say reason is completely abandoned, even in sacrificing your life for some purpose. Hell, through decomposition and withdrawal from one food chain and arrival in another even in death we serve a reason like it or not. Now do I always feel compelled to deliver some explicit message through creation of art or writing, no, but in that sense even leaving it open to interpretation has a deliberate and calculated methodology. As long as we have life and even in death we serve a purpose and have reason.

Mine is to penetrate as many women as humanly possible and stay high, lol. With reproduction out of the way my true essential reason has already been realized.

I think smoking pot is the reason you launched this discussion. ;)

z00 01-24-2013 10:58 AM

Reason and purpose are human-made subjects. There is no reason why matter, universe, or us exist. We're just here. One of the fundamental laws of physics that asymmetric void creates symmetric matter. Then you can relate the science of what I mentioned above to what Nietzsche said about mind vs body. Why we tend to find ourselves asking why questions.

In short, no.

GRIFFIN 01-24-2013 11:08 AM

http://youtu.be/1vJpAXf5wyk

cowmoo32 01-24-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Cyrus (Post 15090902)
We have some intelligent people on this forum, so I ask the question: does one always need a reason? Can one create for the sake of creating without being chastised? Also think of the reasons why people ask this question, are they curious or just daft wobbo's? :hi:

This is what separates us from the lower intelligence of animals. I think this is an emergent characteristic of any significantly advanced intelligence. Our species as a whole is creative, but to further the point just look at the most intelligent examples of the species; they have all been aggressively creative. More often than not you find that the great minds were both technically as well as artistically gifted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by z00 (Post 15091563)
Reason and purpose are human-made subjects. There is no reason why matter, universe, or us exist. We're just here. One of the fundamental laws of physics that asymmetric void creates symmetric matter. Then you can relate the science of what I mentioned above to what Nietzsche said about mind vs body. Why we tend to find ourselves asking why questions.

In short, no.

Can you expound on that?

Carskibum 01-24-2013 11:28 AM

http://www.ilovetotailgate.com/iltt/...9/stiffler.jpg

WTF are you nerds talking about?

SLVR JDM 01-24-2013 11:32 AM

Tell us more.
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5f49b7b3.png

hizhinezz 01-24-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 15091608)
This is what separates us from the lower intelligence of animals. I think this is an emergent characteristic of any significantly advanced intelligence. Our species as a whole is creative, but to further the point just look at the most intelligent examples of the species; they have all been aggressively creative. More often than not you find that the great minds were both technically as well as artistically gifted.

Can you expound on that?

I completely disagree with this concept and think it grossly overstates the intelligence of humans and innate differences from other animals, but mammals in particular. Just as a semi-conscious and thoroughly retarded cow walks out of its barn each day to eat, ****, repeat then sleep we too go about our process of fitting into our environment and consuming whatever is in our path. Cows have the same free will they just lack cognitive ability. Sure we can discover America, but that was a mathematical certainty that eventually someone would given growing population, not some divine realization of creativity. We can invent a rocket and go to the moon, same story. How do we know that the most intelligent members of the human race went on to great things in terms of creativity, perhaps the smartest played dumb a stayed home and did nothing, saving themselves from the work itself and being forced to explain their reasoning! The concept of reason is merely our self created rationale for the decision we make in living out our lifespan. Some choose to create, others do not... they each have their own reasons, personal and environment driven. Everythin we do we do because we have to or want to do it versus holding our breath and dying or not eating and starving to death. Reason is our will to live. Our internal compass; we can pretend t detach ourselves from it and say we drift in nature's waves but even that is a conscious decision.... without reason we do not do anything.

BartenderPlease 01-24-2013 01:41 PM

^^ agree

We have reason behind everything as humans are naturally greedy, little or a lot. We will benefit from our creations in some way.

B_Cyrus 01-24-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BartenderPlease (Post 15092201)
^^ agree

We have reason behind everything as humans are naturally greedy, little or a lot. We will benefit from our creations in some way.

I don't always see it as reasons from greed. When I read "greed," the thought which comes to mind is that of a constipation of the soul. Greed steals expression. Greed makes you unable to communicate honestly, disseminate ideas, vent the natural chaos of emotion - and ones with that eminent greed and need for reason live their lives endlessly throwing a tantrum because they truly cannot articulate what they want.

Reason, validation... it leaves an empty, useless, lucky person... lucky because all that person has is a life without self purpose.

kushy 01-24-2013 04:41 PM

determinism

GRIFFIN 01-24-2013 06:17 PM

http://i.imgur.com/nHQWrmj.gif

CollinsE90 01-24-2013 06:30 PM

You said constipation and you're B_Cyrus, so I'm just going to sit out of this one.

Stankia 01-24-2013 06:34 PM

Yes, always. I only do things for the money.