E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Replies from WI & IL Reps in regards to Gun Control (updated 1/29) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967387)

TSR6 01-24-2013 07:42 AM

Replies from WI & IL Reps in regards to Gun Control (updated 1/29)

Ron Johnson -- United States Senator (R) - WI

Dear TSR6,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your thoughts on federal gun control measures in light of the recent tragedy in Connecticut.

A terrible and incomprehensible act of violence took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School. We are all deeply impacted by the horror of little children and brave adults being murdered. There are many serious issues that will need to be discussed and considered in the weeks and months to come. But right now, our primary concern should be for the families and the community of Newtown.

At moments like this, America comes together to mourn and support one another. We will do so again in the coming days, and then search for answers on how to prevent such tragedies in the future

As your Senator, I believe it is my primary responsibility to uphold the Constitution and the Second Amendment is no exception. I will continue to strongly support our Second Amendment rights.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. It is important for me to hear the views and concerns of the people I serve. Please feel free to contact me in the future if I can further assist you or your family. It is an honor representing you and the good people of Wisconsin in the U.S. Senate.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

Mary Lazich -- WI State Senator:

Dear TSR6,

Thank you for your thoughtful email. I agree that the problem is not the guns and the problem is not the ammunition. The problem is the actions of certain persons.

More laws only affect those that abide by the law and do not affect the criminals.

Again, thank you for your email. I appreciated knowing your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Mary Lazich

Wisconsin State Senator
Wisconsin State Capitol

David Craig -- WI State Representative

Thank you for contacting the 83rd District Office. I appreciate hearing
from you. Please know that I will be back in touch with you shortly
regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

David Craig
State Representative
83rd Assembly District

MpoweredM 01-24-2013 08:01 AM

Looks good

Whammy 01-24-2013 08:52 AM

Glad to hear. I need to contact mine too (whomever that is).

Wonder what the gov and attorney general think.

TSR6 01-24-2013 09:30 AM

www.ruger.com has a nice link in the bottom left that tells you who you need to send letters to and/or lets you send a generic (auto-fills your name & info ) letter to your proper reps.

TSR6 01-24-2013 10:26 AM

Original Post updated & title changed. Will update the OP as more replies come in...

Nt_loader 01-24-2013 10:36 AM

Below is the response I recieved:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.

It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual's right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago-and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.

As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law-and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes-will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

Rush4theYehO 01-24-2013 12:33 PM

Note to self: TX and WI are still ok to bolt to

BMW_Matt 01-24-2013 02:25 PM

WI/TX just went up a notch in my book.

SamDoe1 01-24-2013 02:30 PM

Welp, looks like I'm moving across the border if this goes down.

m5killa 01-24-2013 03:00 PM

Just submitted through the Ruger site. Very interested to see what emails I get back.

TSR6 01-24-2013 07:54 PM

David Craig -- WI State Representative

Thank you for contacting the 83rd District Office. I appreciate hearing
from you. Please know that I will be back in touch with you shortly
regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

David Craig
State Representative
83rd Assembly District

Whammy 01-24-2013 11:08 PM

I sent a letter to the Dane County Sheriff to get his response as well. Here is the template I used:

January 18, 2013

Your Name
Your Address
Your City, State, Zip
Your Phone #

Sheriff's Full Name
County Office Name
County Office Address
County Office City, State, Zip

Dear Honorable Sheriff

I hope this letter greets you well. I first off would like to thank you and your department for the service they provide to the citizens of County and to Wisconsin.

Lately, there has been a lot of discussion over more gun control legislation at the federal level to restrict law-abiding citizens the right to bear arms due to recent tragedies in Newton, CT, Milwaukee, WI and Aurora, Colorado. This action has a lot of people, including me, very concerned.

As you know, the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects law abiding citizens the right to keep and bear arms. Article 1 Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution also protects this right. The actions being debated at a federal level (banning semi-automatic firearms, magazines, and potential confiscation) is unconstitutional and an infringement on our rights as citizens. The proposed legislation will not solve the underlying issue and criminals will not abide the new legislation. There is evidence showing the ten year ban on "assault" rifles from 1994 to 2004 did not have any significant decrease in violent crime.

Sheriffs around the country are starting to see the encroachment of the rights of the people and are standing up to the proposed unconstitutional act (see enclosed documents). I write this letter not to play politics but to get your help. I would like to ask that you stand up for our rights under the US and WI Constitutions in an open public letter to the President and members of Congress refusing to enforce laws that violate the rights of honest, law abiding citizens. The assault on the rights of the citizens needs to stop and I hope you will join us in this fight. Thank you again for your service and I look forward to your response.

On Wisconsin!,

Articles to Print Out:
GOA Blog Article: http://gunowners.wordpress.com/2013/...-and-shove-it/
Sheriff Tim Mueller Letter: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Sheriff Jim Hensley Letter: http://images.bimedia.net/documents/...den+011513.pdf
International Business Article: http://www.ibtimes.com/oregon-sherif...l-laws-1020660

TSR6 01-27-2013 10:41 AM

....so I also sent e-mails on behalf of my parents in Illinois:

This lady is anti-gun from my quick google research, and the reply I got doesn't make me feel any better...

Illinois Lt. Governor Sheila Simon

Thank you for contacting the Office of Lt. Governor Sheila Simon. Your message is important to us. We will respond soon.

In the meantime, you may access our Frequently Asked Questions page for a guide to government services or subscribe to our newsletter for monthly updates.

Springfield

Carbondale

Chicago
Office of the Lt. Governor

214 State House
2801 W. Murphysboro Road

James R. Thompson Center
Springfield, IL 62706 P.O. Box 100 100 W. Randolph St., Ste. 15-200
Phone: 217-558-3085
Carbondale, IL 62903
Chicago, IL 60601
Fax: 217-558-3094

Phone: 618-529-6452
Phone: 312-814-5240
TTY: 1-800-563-7110
Fax: 618-529-6455 Fax: 312-814-5228

mestupmonkydude 01-27-2013 04:15 PM

nice.

TSR6 01-28-2013 02:03 PM

See below... I sent the standard Ruger Firearms "auto" e-mail for my dad. I got the following reply from an IL Rep:

Joe Sosnowski - Illinois State Representative

Dear TSR6's Father,
Thank you for contacting my office regarding concealed carry. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you concerning this matter.

We are all saddened by the unconscionable events that took place at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. As a result of this terrible tragedy, the families of the victims are certainly in my thoughts as they work through the anguish that accompanies the sudden and violent loss of a loved one.

The devastating effect of gun violence is on the minds of many Americans, but most would still agree that law abiding gun owners would personally like to prevent all tragedies; however it is impossible to safeguard against every possible violent action. I do not agree that more gun laws or restrictions are the answer to preventing violent crimes; however, improving our background check process is a well-intentioned move towards keeping firearms out of the hands of mentally unstable individuals.

The Illinois Courts have ruled recently that the Second Amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside of the home as inside. The court has determined that the state legislature has 180 days to craft a responsible proposal that meets constitutional muster regarding an individual's right to bear arms. I am pleased the courts are forcing this discussion onto the legislative leaders who for many years have tried to prevent reasonable concealed carry language.

I believe House Bill 148 provides a worthy model for concealed carry regulations and qualifications. In addition, I do not support the 97th General Assembly bills HB1263 or HB815. In addition, I do not support the more recent 98th General Assembly's SB42 or any assault weapons ban on law abiding citizens.

I appreciate you sharing your ideas about how to make Illinois concealed carry law effective and efficient. Please know I am a strong proponent of our 2nd Amendment Right to conceal and carry, and I believe rights should be afforded to responsible law abiding gun owners.

I look forward to hearing from you again with regard to this or any future legislative concern you may have.Sincerely,

Joe Sosnowski
State Representative
District 69

Nt_loader 01-28-2013 02:12 PM

Keep sending letters, let your representatives know you mean business.

TSR6 01-29-2013 09:06 PM

Richard J. Durbin - United States Senator (IL-D)

Dear Mr. TSR6:

Thank you for contacting me about gun violence prevention in light of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share with all Americans a profound sense of sorrow at the senseless act of violence committed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The nation mourns this event and many Americans wonder what can be done to prevent this type of tragedy in the future.

I am an original cosponsor of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act which would reinstate a ban on magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The ban on multi-round magazines expired along with the federal assault weapons ban in 2004. I am a cosponsor of a bill that would reinstate the ban on assault weapons and would expand the definition of assault weapons to close loopholes that allow gun manufacturers to work around the previous ban.

I support universal gun background checks, which prevent the transfer of firearms without a background check by non-licensed gun sellers. I am a cosponsor of "terror gap" legislation that would give the Attorney General discretionary authority to deny gun sales to individuals who are known or appropriately suspected to be engaged in terrorism.

The majority of Americans and the majority of thoughtful gun owners and hunters agree that there must be reasonable limits on gun ownership and weapons. We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. Straw purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties. There should be limits on how many firearms may be purchased in one month. Those who own firearms that are within the reach of children should have protective locks on their weapons.

The United States Supreme Court has raised questions about the Second Amendment and the protections and responsibilities under this Constitutional amendment. I plan to hold a Senate Judiciary Hearing in the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Subcommittee to address this Constitutional question and how to forward on gun control.

My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families in Newtown, Connecticut, as we remember the children and teachers who lost their lives.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

david05111 01-29-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSR6 (Post 15109194)
Richard J. Durbin - United States Senator (IL-D)

Dear Mr. TSR6:

Thank you for contacting me about gun violence prevention in light of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share with all Americans a profound sense of sorrow at the senseless act of violence committed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The nation mourns this event and many Americans wonder what can be done to prevent this type of tragedy in the future.

I am an original cosponsor of the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act which would reinstate a ban on magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The ban on multi-round magazines expired along with the federal assault weapons ban in 2004. I am a cosponsor of a bill that would reinstate the ban on assault weapons and would expand the definition of assault weapons to close loopholes that allow gun manufacturers to work around the previous ban.

I support universal gun background checks, which prevent the transfer of firearms without a background check by non-licensed gun sellers. I am a cosponsor of “terror gap” legislation that would give the Attorney General discretionary authority to deny gun sales to individuals who are known or appropriately suspected to be engaged in terrorism.

The majority of Americans and the majority of thoughtful gun owners and hunters agree that there must be reasonable limits on gun ownership and weapons. We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. Straw purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties. There should be limits on how many firearms may be purchased in one month. Those who own firearms that are within the reach of children should have protective locks on their weapons.

The United States Supreme Court has raised questions about the Second Amendment and the protections and responsibilities under this Constitutional amendment. I plan to hold a Senate Judiciary Hearing in the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Subcommittee to address this Constitutional question and how to forward on gun control.

My heart and prayers go out to the victims and their families in Newtown, Connecticut, as we remember the children and teachers who lost their lives.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

Utterly useless response. Didn't even address your thoughts I bet. I continues to be amazed that politicians are allowed to vote for what they themselves think. They represent citizens, not themselves. For him to have his mind made up already is ridiculous.

TSR6 01-29-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david05111 (Post 15109306)
Utterly useless response. Didn't even address your thoughts I bet. I continues to be amazed that politicians are allowed to vote for what they themselves think. They represent citizens, not themselves. For him to have his mind made up already is ridiculous.

Absolutely useless.

Unfortunately, with Chicago, my tally mark by sending a message won't even matter.