E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Iphone 5, Samsung Galaxy s3, or Note 2? Which to choose... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967700)

BringsMeWomen 01-25-2013 09:55 PM

Iphone 5, Samsung Galaxy s3, or Note 2? Which to choose...

So im getting a new phone next week on friday probably. I currently have an iphone 4s and cant decide between the iphone 5, s3 or the note 2. So many damn decisions lol. I know a lot of people have been hating on apple this year saying they are playing "catch up" to andriod devices so thats what intitally threw me off. I was gonna get the I5 until i started hearing all of this. I believe this is somewhat true after getting my 4s and figuring out that it wasnt that much of an upgrade from the iphone 4. The things i look when buying a phone is performance, looks, and basically just a smooth experience while using it. My 4s has had some software issues with apps not opening up and stuff like that which kinda annoyed me. Just need some guidance to pick the right phone. Much appreciated fanatics!

Fisch330ciTopasBlau 01-25-2013 10:01 PM

The one that still fits in a pocket?

zan 01-25-2013 10:08 PM

I was between the i phone 5 and the note 2 ... I ended up with the note 2 !!!! So far I love it man...go for it... This device is awesome!!!!!

alphawhiskey 01-25-2013 10:09 PM

The iphone 5 over the S3 for sure. I've never used the Note2 so I can't comment, although people that have it seem to love it.

The thing with the iphone 5 is that it does all the basics nearly flawlessly. Messaging (iMessage is excellent, and if you date girls, it is almost key as they almost always have an iphone); Siri for tasks; apps are almost always better on iOS than Android.

I'm really impressed with siri for scheduling reminders, calendar appts, and even texting. Android's voice recognition is just as good if not better, but does not do those basic things as well. Ex: Android won't read your incoming texts to you, and while you can dictate a text out, it is easier and smoother via siri.

If you just want to use a phone for the basics and to the fullest without much trouble, go iphone 5. I've been more than impressed with it. Excellent battery life (I went up to 2 days once on standby with 10 hours of usage; and ALWAYS get through the day with it under normal use), excellent screen, great form factor.

If you are going to mod and flash ROMS, then Android is for you. Or if you depend on Google Voice and chat, then Android better integrates those (I don't like the Gvoice app on iOS as it is a little slow to update, and you can use imo for gchat, but not as integrated).

BringsMeWomen 01-25-2013 10:11 PM

I was leaning towards the note 2 as well but i liked both when i was playing around with them in the store. Glad your enjoying yours :)

aldeghij 01-25-2013 10:13 PM

Here's my take. Apple still has a superior piece of hardware, but ios is seriously dumbed down compared to android. The battery life on my iPhone 5 kills all 3 android devices I've had in the past. I definitely miss some aspects of android since I switched to the iPhone. I have a nexus 7 tablet that keeps me in android though.

TrickTizzle 01-25-2013 10:13 PM

Go for the iphone5. Its designed and built really well for a phone,. and its a really solid os.
Don't bother with the note2 aka iPad mini .... android force closes all the time and mediocre batteries consumption/life

v8 5 01-25-2013 10:13 PM

I develop applications for Android and iPhone and I prefer my iPhone 5 by far

trj 01-25-2013 10:20 PM

iPhone 5 FTW. Me and my fiancÚ both use iPhone 5. iMessage is great. I have used all iPhone models and used Htc g1, mytouch 3G and s3. I like iPhones better for the intuitive and really well laid OS. S3 hardware is better but android systems are still buggy.

I have never used your 3rd choice so can't comment.

cowmoo32 01-25-2013 10:23 PM

Go use both and then decide. They're both good

BringsMeWomen 01-25-2013 10:31 PM

Alright thanks for the input guys! Keep your opinions coming if other people want to as well

k2pilot 01-25-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 15097193)

How dare you encourage free will.

iPhone, because metal is better than plastic.

Grande D 01-25-2013 10:36 PM

It's all about priorities. Do you mainly use the phone to surf? Do you have a tablet?

I for one would HATE to have the Note 2 as my phone. I own an iPhone 5. It's been great. But there are other options as well if you aren't feeling iOS.

How about an HTC One X+ or Nexus 4? Both great phones- with build quality far surpassing anything made by Samsung.

DaN_the_MaN 01-25-2013 10:41 PM

I just picked up the Note 2 and the phone is amazing!

auto180sx 01-25-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 15097193)

+1

I went with the iPhone 5 after having 3 Android phones over the last couple years. My first andriod phone was MUCH more capable then my current iPhone, but the iPhone just works. I was seeing 6-8 hours of use out of the androids on a good day, if I forget to charge the iPhone one night I don't worry it'll get me home the next evening. Both are great platforms with their advantages and disadvantages. Though I do like how SMALL my iPhone is...

wrighterjw10 01-25-2013 11:17 PM

i've had every model of iphone, and still use an iphone for work.

that said, i use the galaxy s3 for personal use and unless samsung fvcks up in a major way, won't ever miss the iphone. the s3 does almost everything faster, and integrates with google, gmail, etc flawlessly. battery life on the stock battery is a drawback, but if u uspgrade the battery, u'll never look back.

iphone has does possibly the best marketing job in history. iphone is trendy and "cool". it has the "it" factor. kids HAVE to HAVE the newest apple product at all times. if u use ur phone for the basics, iphone is the best out there. very simple to use.

i am addicted to the larger s3 screen. i don't wear skinny jeans tho, so a s3 easily fits in my pocket.

wrighterjw10 01-25-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphawhiskey (Post 15097147)
The iphone 5 over the S3 for sure. I've never used the Note2 so I can't comment, although people that have it seem to love it.

The thing with the iphone 5 is that it does all the basics nearly flawlessly. Messaging (iMessage is excellent, and if you date girls, it is almost key as they almost always have an iphone); Siri for tasks; apps are almost always better on iOS than Android.

I'm really impressed with siri for scheduling reminders, calendar appts, and even texting. Android's voice recognition is just as good if not better, but does not do those basic things as well. Ex: Android won't read your incoming texts to you, and while you can dictate a text out, it is easier and smoother via siri.

If you just want to use a phone for the basics and to the fullest without much trouble, go iphone 5. I've been more than impressed with it. Excellent battery life (I went up to 2 days once on standby with 10 hours of usage; and ALWAYS get through the day with it under normal use), excellent screen, great form factor.

If you are going to mod and flash ROMS, then Android is for you. Or if you depend on Google Voice and chat, then Android better integrates those (I don't like the Gvoice app on iOS as it is a little slow to update, and you can use imo for gchat, but not as integrated).

u didn't ever update to jellybean did you?

monkeyjuice5150 01-26-2013 12:35 AM

I would say the note 2 is for someone who does work on the go, executive, professionals etc. I'm leaning toward the note 2 because it has the S pen. Something I need so that people can sign documents and I can just email it off right away. If the note 2 is too big, then get the s3. Same thing but smaller. Or wait 2-3 more months and get the s4. With a nice slim rubber cover. The phone looks really sleek.

i5 is nice, but it is almost the same as the i4s. Great battery life. Overall a good phone for anyone. My wife and I have both phones and it serve us good, but there are times I'm limited to things I would like to do.

v8 5 01-26-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 (Post 15097484)
I would say the note 2 is for someone who does work on the go, executive, professionals etc. I'm leaning toward the note 2 because it has the S pen. Something I need so that people can sign documents and I can just email it off right away. If the note 2 is too big, then get the s3. Same thing but smaller. Or wait 2-3 more months and get the s4. With a nice slim rubber cover. The phone looks really sleek.

i5 is nice, but it is almost the same as the i4s. Great battery life. Overall a good phone for anyone. My wife and I have both phones and it serve us good, but there are times I'm limited to things I would like to do.

I don't understand the point of the Note, it's huge, why not just carry a tablet. It's not a phone. It's a phone trying to be a tablet. It's ridiculously large.

alphawhiskey 01-26-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 (Post 15097326)
u didn't ever update to jellybean did you?

lol, please don't try to school me. I was on every new nightly out there (that's the very latest ROM, kernel, baseband, etc.) and on Jellybean before the official OTA push. The iphone 5 is faster, smoother, and does all the basics better than any current Android out there.

I've owned both, and unless you have too, please don't compare.

The S3 is a fine phone once you remove touchwiz and get to the Vanilla Android experience. It still is not as good as the iPhone 5 at the basics. And the iphone 5 is much faster/smoother despite whatever hardware they packed into the S3. I believe independent tests support that claim too.

All that aside, the most important thing is end-user real-world experience: iPhone 5 is just so much more of a pleasure to use.

I do look forward to the next generation of Androids. The next major OS overhaul should be a great one, and with better hardware coming out from those makers, we have a lot to be excited about.