Specific Equipment Upgrade Question 2003 325i
I am interested in knowing if my stored stash of "old world" equipment would be good for upgrading my current non HK stereo. This was really great equipment in its day and its been stored in new condition so I would love to put it to good use and upgrade my crappy current stereo
Any suggestions/advice would be really appreciated
1) pair ADS 300i plate speakers
1) ADS PH15 6 channel amp
1) Hercules Series VII amp
1) Alpine 3215 EQ (doubtful I will use)
I never really checked until yesterday but I noticed now that there are no mids in the rear doors only tweeters. So if I am correct this car only has:
2 tweeters + 2 mid bass + 2 mids
2 mid bass
If that's correct then this car is crying for upgraded speakers and adding a sub. My trunk space is pretty important to me so I am wondering if a deck mounted sub is doable or maybe an enclosure near the battery area. Any help or advice would really be appreciated.
EDIT: I just checked the BSW deck mounted sub enclosure and that looks really sweet. Since I am thinking of using my Hercules amp for a sub I'm not sure this is the best choice for me but it is a consideration.
My head is SPINNING after reading all the posts and I am completely confused now
OK... so between this forum and another I tired to read just about all I could find regarding my car system upgrades and the equipment I currently have in my collection. Unfortunately I am still confused as to which direction to go in.
Yes I did find wiring info and diagrams so that definitely helps, I pretty much found everything I need regarding sound dampening materials etc, and info on removing door panels is readily available and quite good including info about speaker sizes and fit.
My confusion is still pretty broad;
1) Not sure what speakers to get and if I should stick with the same type of speaker placement and style as factory, although I think this would be the easiest install while still making a major improvement
2) If I keep the head unit which I am leaning towards, I have to deal with the balanced unbalanced issue as it pertains to my ADS PH15 and the Hercules amps. The info on the adapters that I found was old so I am unsure exactly what converter to get and what config to use
3) If I change out all the speakers and use my own amps I need crossovers and I am not clear on those
4) If I use both amps I have, PH15 6 channel and Hercules bridged mono for sub what amp/speaker configurations should I use
5) I know I need and want a sub but not sure about the trunk setup for it since trunk space is very important for me
As you can all see I am trying to research info before I ask but this is definitely confusing... I really appreciate any advice and help
1) I'd generally stick with the stock placement (as in avoid making pods or fiberglassing) for your first install. Some get addicted to constantly improving stereos- and go that route later. I would suggest coaxials for the rear deck and a simple two way (tweeter and midbass) passively crossed over setup for the front doors. You'd just leave the mid space unused.
What brand or component speakers system is a totally different question and is very personal. You probably have some idea of the sound signature that you like, and your total budget.
- The plate speakers probably have no use in this car.
2) For a basic lineout setup, look in the AudioControl LC6i. It'll give you clean, multi-channel output with adjustable output voltage to satisfy your required input voltage (on the amps).
You can find it cheaper on eBay. I wouldn't skimp on an LOC if SQ is your goal:
3) Passive crossovers should come with the speakers if you buy a components set from a known brand. If you start piecing together a kit from individual midbasses and tweeters no crossover would be included.
Obviously- if the component set includes a crossover, each woofer and tweeter combination will require only one amplifier speaker output (as opposed to the stock actively crossed over setup- where each individual speaker has its own amplifier channel).
4) Sounds like you have some nice amplifiers!
5) People like the E46 JL Stealthboxes, BSW sub box, and WickedCas recessed trunk enclosure (mounts over the battery). That doesn't take up much space and you can choose your subwoofer.
-The Alpine EQ is a cool piece (might be worth a decent chunk on diymobileaudio) but I don't see you having any use for it off the bat with your new system.
That should get you started!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.