E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New but Educated.. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=968101)

Giozilla 01-28-2013 11:39 AM

New but Educated..
 
Hello..

I am new to this forum but not new to the car world. I am former Honda owner (flame on) but I knowledgable of all cars.. I am not biased at all..

I am looking to get into a e46 330ci or i... I know about the car great handling and of course stylish looks..

My main concern is the aftermarket suppot. I am coming from a the (JDM world, and fresh of the K series boat) now with that being said my previous cars had a TON of aftermarket support for power adders..

Just wanted to know if there is the same with the e46.. I know theres a pretty decent aftermarket for the M3 but havent seen much for the 328 and 330i..

Please any advice besides F.I for power adders that will make a noticable difference?

I am not looking to build an all out track car.. but i do want a quick DD..

My old K20 went 12.5 and was daily driven just fine.. I just want something luxery with a kick.. Thank you guys and hopefully you will find a build thread from me later on..

take care!

P.S sorry for the grammar errors! I wrote this while being at work had to write it fast! lol..

Gheybe 01-28-2013 11:43 AM

Power for the non-m without adding F/I would be most noticed with headers, tune, maintenance. The fastest my car ever was, was with headers, stock exhaust, AA tune, and great maintenance. Now, you can get intakes and all that crap, but the intake in our cars is fantastic, and all other intakes usually gain little to no power, or even lose power.

Mango 01-28-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giozilla (Post 15103384)
Hello..

I am new to this forum but not new to the car world. I am former Honda owner (flame on) but I knowledgable of all cars.. I am not biased at all..

I am looking to get into a e46 330ci or i... I know about the car great handling and of course stylish looks..

My main concern is the aftermarket suppot. I am coming from a the (JDM world, and fresh of the K series boat) now with that being said my previous cars had a TON of aftermarket support for power adders..

Just wanted to know if there is the same with the e46.. I know theres a pretty decent aftermarket for the M3 but havent seen much for the 328 and 330i..

Please any advice besides F.I for power adders that will make a noticable difference?

I am not looking to build an all out track car.. but i do want a quick DD..

My old K20 went 12.5 and was daily driven just fine.. I just want something luxery with a kick.. Thank you guys and hopefully you will find a build thread from me later on..

take care!

P.S sorry for the grammar errors! I wrote this while being at work had to write it fast! lol..

Not happening with this car unless you're ready to fully prepare the chassis and engine. Even then its cost prohibitive. Maintain it and turn it into a handling car (stock it handles perfectly but these cars need to be rebuilt at 100k miles) s

See sig, do it all!

mtnbound 01-28-2013 11:44 AM

Welcome. Frankly, bolt-ons don't do much for the E46.

There are plenty of products, but none that will offer significant gains unless you go FI.

Mango 01-28-2013 11:46 AM

and +1 what gheybe said. these cars are already precisely tuned from the factory and need nothing but maintenance. the airbox is 98% capable. the other 2% will get you 1 hp if lucky but just add a ton of noise. That's IF you find that lucky airbox. most take away power as said.

choxor 01-28-2013 11:46 AM

Nope

Elvin123 01-28-2013 11:49 AM

I don't really recommend a non m if you're looking for serious performance, it'll take a lot of work and money to make non m do 12s. Try looking for a e36 m3 or an e46 if its in your budget.

Giozilla 01-28-2013 11:50 AM

I see very interesting.. and the only reason I said no F/I because thats the obvious.. but are there any good super chargers out? I believe I saw one I just forgot the name of it...

and thank you guys for the SWIFT RESPONSE!.. deff a good forum..

Mango 01-28-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvin123 (Post 15103409)
I don't really recommend a non m if you're looking for serious performance, it'll take a lot of work and money to make non m do 12s. Try looking for a e36 m3 or an e46 if its in your budget.

E36 m3 is too similar to a 330 in terms of acceleration/speed. in my case, a stock e36 m3 is slower

Giozilla 01-28-2013 11:51 AM

well the e36 m3 is ehh theyre cool but for a few grand more I rather just get the e46 model.

and ya its a big difference from my honda I went 12's on a stock block. just bolt ons and a good tune by jeff evans.

But ya I also thought of getting a e30 and doing the LS1 swap. but thats a very slim possibility.

Giozilla 01-28-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46mango (Post 15103414)
e36 m3 is too similar to a 330 in terms of acceleration/speed. In my case, a stock e36 m3 is slower

+1

Giozilla 01-28-2013 11:52 AM

What previous cars did you guys come from? and how was the transition?

Elvin123 01-28-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15103414)
E36 m3 is too similar to a 330 in terms of acceleration/speed. in my case, a stock e36 m3 is slower

You can do more to that car in terms of performance though.

dmax 01-28-2013 11:54 AM

So I got a 16 at 90 mph. Gets me on the highway just fine...and my car's been around the block...actually, just passed the moon. You'll get a good car, roll through toll booth in 2nd gear, and stay in 2nd up to 65 mph, and think, "I shouldn't mess with this car," and you'd be right.

DHK 01-28-2013 11:56 AM

Gaining horsepower on any BMW really is an expensive process. You can upgrade some internals, you can stroke them (although the m54 not particularly good for stroking), or you can go forced induction.

Thats not to say their isnt a large aftermarket, just not for horsepower.

Oh and the US spec e36 M3 is totally neutered. Its like the sissy bitch little sister to its European big brother.

Giozilla 01-28-2013 12:03 PM

whats the euro swap to the e36 then? and i've seen decent SC e36 m3.. looked interesting..

DHK 01-28-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giozilla (Post 15103465)
whats the euro swap to the e36 then? and i've seen decent SC e36 m3.. looked interesting..

The US spec M3 is a really sad machine.

Post 1995 The Euro M3 had almost 75 more HP than the US M3 and nearly 30 more Ft/Lbs of torque. They did some magic to make the 0-60 similar but it really wasn't close to the same car.

Mango 01-28-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvin123 (Post 15103428)
You can do more to that car in terms of performance though.

Somewhat true but bolt on gains don't help all that much. 330/s52 share same crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons.

you still have to worry about oil pump nut.

trj 01-28-2013 12:27 PM

OP, welcome to the forum.
A quick search would have given you all the answers. But here you go:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884584

e46 non m is a good car as stock. To really get more out of it, you are looking at spending a lot of money. If you are looking at performance in stock form, I'd say get an m3 or look for a different brand. infiniti g35/37 comes to my mind.

I came from accord, then to eclipse then to BMW. Both my previous cars were v6 and not really tunable cars in terms of off-the-rack bolt ons. I dont like modding cars for performance, but if I were looking to get something to tune, I'd get one with the engine and chassis that is able to handle the tune from the get go.

Audi and VW turbos come to my mind right now when I think of tuning the car for more power. They are highly tunable with aftermarket turbo and tunes.

Just buy an audi a4 quattro and throw an aftermarket turbo with a tune. You have a good handling powerful car.

e46 non-m's are a pleasure to drive but not a fast car by any means. And tuning is very limited. I like the neutral characteristic of this car, its very balanced in terms of power, looks, sportiness and comfort.

I mean I can have fun in the canyons and I can take the same car to a fancy date or take my boss to lunch, and I can take it to roadtrips without getting tired and annoyed. It delivers everything I need in a single car rather than have 3 different cars for 3 different occasions.
I won't be picking up my fiancÚ in a tuned audi for a date, nor would be taking my boss to a lunch meeting in a jaw shattering track tuned miata.

PS: your ride states, you have a mclaren, why would are you looking for more power in an e46 :P

DHK 01-28-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15103505)
Somewhat true but bolt on gains don't help all that much. 330/s52 share same crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons.

you still have to worry about oil pump nut.

That's not totally true. "bolt ons" can do quite a bit for an M3 motor, they just aren't cheap bolt on's like you'd find for a Chevy or a Honda.

An m3 motor can gain 40-50 HP from, a better tune, upgraded cams, high quality headers and an upgraded exhaust without the cats. That still costs pretty big $$$ though for fairly modest gains.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use