E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Political Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Firearms do kill more people than hammers/knives combined (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=968236)

badfast 01-28-2013 11:44 PM

Firearms do kill more people than hammers/knives combined
 
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8

From, 2007-2011, firearms accounted for roughly 67% of all homicides. More than all other weapons combined. That includes blunt objects (bats, hammers, etc.), fists, feet, explosives, etc. etc.

Figured NFRS2k, Chase, AOO, and Jj would appreciate these FBI stats since they are always quoting them.

:hi:

2000_328CI 01-29-2013 12:01 AM

That is true.

It's also true that knives account for 5 times the number of homicides as rifles...

So why are we going after ARs and ignoring handguns?

FWIW, Chicago had more handgun murders than blunt objects murders nationwide.. and they have some of the strictest gun control in the nation. So what's the real goal here?

Act of God 01-29-2013 12:16 AM

I guess you can't go after handguns as easily since Heller so all they have is rifles to make themselves feel righteous.

kaput 01-29-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfast (Post 15106115)
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8

From, 2007-2011, firearms accounted for roughly 67% of all homicides. More than all other weapons combined. That includes blunt objects (bats, hammers, etc.), fists, feet, explosives, etc. etc.

Figured NFRS2k, Chase, AOO, and Jj would appreciate these FBI stats since they are always quoting them.

:hi:

Oh look at you not comprehending what you are reading.

No one said guns are not the leading cause of murder... We said Rifles, specifically Assault Rifles. But I guess you need to feel validated in your pursuit to be relevant... So, ok, you can have this one.

What was the leading weapon used for murder in your stats? Handgun? What is the number one killer everywhere? Handgun? What legislation is being passed to protect the kids? Assault Rifles?

Looks to me like they are missing the point.

Act of God 01-29-2013 01:03 AM

Cigarettes kill 400,000 a year, go chase that dog

'busa 01-29-2013 07:11 AM

But they said strawman... I mean... rifles!

casino is no lie 01-29-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Act of God (Post 15106275)
Cigarettes kill 400,000 a year, go chase that dog

We're not discussing suicide.

badfast 01-29-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Act of God (Post 15106275)
Cigarettes kill 400,000 a year, go chase that dog

Cigarettes don't kill people. I saw a pack at the gas station and it didn't jump up and kill anyone.

mistrzmiasta 01-29-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfast (Post 15106654)
Cigarettes don't kill people. I saw a pack at the gas station and it didn't jump up and kill anyone.

but apparently you saw a few guns walking around shooting people.

Rhumb 01-29-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Firearms do kill more people than hammers/knives combined
Not sure why this would be at all surprising, isn't the very design and purpose of firearms primarily to do but one thing, kill efficiently and effectively? That they are being successfully used for this purpose ought not to be a shocker.

Sure, other weapons and modalities can also be used to kill and maim, but they are far less effective and efficient in killing and maiming, which is why firearms were invented in the first place. The converse of this is that, with firearms readily available, killing and maiming rates, being so much more effectively accomplished, will be much higher than without.

The stats and empirical data in the U.S. grimly, if obviously, bears this out -- by far the highest levels of gun ownership in an advanced first world society and by far the highest levels of (gun) murder and injury. A wild coincidence? I think not.

choxor 01-29-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta (Post 15106658)
but apparently you saw a few guns walking around shooting people.

:clap:

badfast 01-29-2013 11:05 AM

So easily rustled.

GlockMan 01-29-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfast (Post 15106115)
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8

From, 2007-2011, firearms accounted for roughly 67% of all homicides. More than all other weapons combined. That includes blunt objects (bats, hammers, etc.), fists, feet, explosives, etc. etc.

Figured NFRS2k, Chase, AOO, and Jj would appreciate these FBI stats since they are always quoting them.

:hi:

Cool.

Now compare gun homicides to the following:

Cigarettes
Alcohol
Cars
Medical Malpractice
Abortion
Cancer
Heart Failure
and Old Age

:eeps:

casino is no lie 01-29-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 15107710)
Cigarettes - shove them down a person's throat... dead
Alcohol - smash the bottle over a person's head... dead
Cars - run a person over... dead
Medical Malpractice - no explination required... dead
Abortion - leave the fetus on the ground and a person trips/slips on it and hit's their head on the corner of a table... dead

Yet people want to place restrictions on guns... like they're any less deadly? ****ing liberals.

badfast 01-29-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 15107710)
Cool.

Now compare gun homicides to the following:

Cigarettes
Alcohol
Cars
Medical Malpractice
Abortion
Cancer
Heart Failure
and Old Age

:eeps:

:confused: I can't tell if you are serious or not and I find that funny.

JonJon 01-29-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaput (Post 15106269)
Oh look at you not comprehending what you are reading.
.

Exactly...


You know how many people assault rifles kill every year?

0

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfast (Post 15106115)
Figured NFRS2k, Chase, AOO, and Jj would appreciate these FBI stats since they are always quoting them.

:hi:

Difference... We understand what we are reading and don't copy paste random words

Boo hoo, 11,000 people die from firearms every year... I bet half of them dying make the world a better place. You think that is 11,000 nuns or doctors or social workers? No, they are criminals and gangs

JonJon 01-29-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casino is no lie (Post 15107867)
Would you consider a semi-automatic carbine an assault rifle?

Why would I? Doesn't matter what I think, the fact is that it's not

badfast 01-29-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 15107832)
Exactly...


You know how many people assault rifles kill every year?

How many people are killed by tack hammers every year?

casino is no lie 01-29-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 15107832)
You know how many people assault rifles kill every year?

Would you consider a semi-automatic carbine an assault rifle?


Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 15107832)
Boo hoo, 11,000 people die from firearms every year... I bet half of them dying make the world a better place. You think that is 11,000 nuns or doctors or social workers? No, they are criminals and gangs

In other words you've arrived to a conclusion based on no empirical evidence? I just want to be clear.

JonJon 01-29-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casino is no lie (Post 15107882)

In other words you've arrived to a conclusion based on no empirical evidence? I just want to be clear.

You highlighted my word "bet" but still don't know the meaning?

Quote:

Verb
Risk something, usually money or a hypothesis, against someone else's on the basis of an uncertain outcome
Conclusion?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use