E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   reinforcing/waterproofing basement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=968270)

217Bimmer 01-29-2013 09:32 AM

reinforcing/waterproofing basement

the cinder block foundation in my almost 100 year old home has some areas where the blocks are crumbling a bit. anyone know the best way to rebuild or reinforce these blocks?

scrape off the loose stuff and fill cracks with hydraulic cement and then is there another product to trowel on the surface of the blocks to give them strength and better water sealing? i have my roof draining pretty good now and good drainage away from foundation, so there isn't much water which comes in through foundation walls.

pawelgawel 01-29-2013 09:39 AM

depending how severe it its.. You may have to replace the blocks (best option), uncover the wall from outside and apply waterproof membrane...

There is no quick and cheap way of fixing the issue... make sure its done properly (it supports the house).

GL

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

217Bimmer 01-29-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawelgawel (Post 15106872)
depending how severe it its.. You may have to replace the blocks (best option), uncover the wall from outside and apply waterproof membrane...

There is no quick and cheap way of fixing the issue... make sure its done properly (it supports the house).

GL

this was done 5 years ago or so before i owned in one section of the house. i'd like to do something not as involved and expensive as that. just a patch and repair.

pawelgawel 01-29-2013 09:56 AM

Is it just one or two blocks that are deteriorating?? or does it seem like the most of the wall has this issue?

I understand what your trying to do, but something like this will only worsen over time, especially if the moisture is getting through already. Even if you try to patch it up and sell the house, there could be some legal issues once the problem is uncovered.

If you're planning on staying there for a while, its a good idea to spend the extra couple K and have it fixed for good.

JonJon 01-29-2013 12:56 PM

You cant fix leaks from the inside

Chris3Duke 01-30-2013 02:34 PM

Are the blocks crumbling, or the mortar? The #1 thing to do is proper grading and water mitigation around the foundation (downspout extensions, etc.).

I don't think drylok is going to hurt anything.

217Bimmer 01-30-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawelgawel (Post 15106916)
Is it just one or two blocks that are deteriorating?? or does it seem like the most of the wall has this issue?

I understand what your trying to do, but something like this will only worsen over time, especially if the moisture is getting through already. Even if you try to patch it up and sell the house, there could be some legal issues once the problem is uncovered.

If you're planning on staying there for a while, its a good idea to spend the extra couple K and have it fixed for good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 15107504)
You cant fix leaks from the inside

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris3Duke (Post 15112226)
Are the blocks crumbling, or the mortar? The #1 thing to do is proper grading and water mitigation around the foundation (downspout extensions, etc.).

I don't think drylok is going to hurt anything.

it's a small house i live in now, but i will soon build or move in with my fiance and turn this into a rental.

the block surfaces are deteriorating along with some of the mortar. i've fixed the drainage issue and run a dehum all the time, so there is not really a water leakage issue in my basement, it's just that the blocks need to be repaired so that they dont continue to deteriorate. i'd like to patch things up and get the wall in better shape and then at some point spray foam the entire wall up into the rim joist cavity.