E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Possible Belt Noise (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=968405)

XKR 01-29-2013 07:45 PM

Possible Belt Noise

This noise is new and it's honestly the most annoying thing ever. It's really loud when the engine is warm but on a nice day it'll do it for about 5 minutes but if it's a cold day it will be doing it for about 25min without going away. It seems like it's a belt but I could be wrong. It does match the RPM but if I'm driving and it's making the noise, I usually put it in neutral and it stops for that moment. At low speeds it usually don't happen if the engine is under 2k RPM. Can and one identify where this noise is coming from and if so how to solve it??! Here's a quick video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBA23VAQYDw and much help is needed. I really appreciate any help I can get :D

Zert 01-29-2013 11:53 PM

I suggest you remove the 2 belts, start and rev the engine, if its running smoothly the noise is coming from either the belt, rollers or tensioners.

choxor 01-30-2013 10:04 AM

Open hood the hood and listen? It should be fairly obvious.

XKR 01-30-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 15111000)
Open hood the hood and listen? It should be fairly obvious.

Well the source of the noise is obviously a belt but I'm ruling out other factors so I can get a good idea of what I need to do to fix it so I don't waste time.

illestminimike 01-30-2013 03:03 PM

While you are in there might as well change the water pump, tensioner and other pulleys.

mgilardi86 01-30-2013 08:59 PM

I chased a noise like that replaced a ton of belt and accessory, ended up being the throwout bearing

XKR 01-30-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgilardi86 (Post 15113722)
I chased a noise like that replaced a ton of belt and accessory, ended up being the throwout bearing

Even if I do end up changing everything, it wouldn't be a big deal because it's over due for a service so new belts and stuff wont hurt at all. At least I have a few leads to go onto. The weirdest thing happen with that noise today; I started my car in the garage and it was about 35 degrees in there and it was really warm out side like around 60 degrees and it was making that noise like in the video but the moment it hit warm air it stopped. :hmm:

XKR 02-24-2013 05:12 PM

Could an idler pulley make this noise?

XKR 03-09-2013 09:33 AM

SOLVED!! It was the bearing inside the idler pulley, so no belts had to be changed. The bearing was very dry and all worn out.

fayraree 05-05-2013 01:48 AM

how does one change this bearing? any step-by-steps? how long does it take? part number? costs? thanks in advance...my M has been garaged for several months and when I take it for a spin, I always hear that belt noise. Thanks!

Edit: did some more reading on this and I suppose the bearing is just a part of the pulley...in your case it was the idler pulley, so replacing the pulley solved your problem. How would I be able to check whether its the tensioner pulley?

If you're changing these belts and pulleys, would it be wise to also change the water pump and thermostat while you're in there? not sure if the latter is something that takes minutes to do while you're doing the former. My car has 96K miles so wasn't sure when this stuff needs to get replaced. I only driver her on select weekends when it's warm. I travel so much that she's parked in the garage 80-90% of the year :(

XKR 05-05-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fayraree (Post 15398049)
how does one change this bearing? any step-by-steps? how long does it take? part number? costs? thanks in advance...my M has been garaged for several months and when I take it for a spin, I always hear that belt noise. Thanks!

Edit: did some more reading on this and I suppose the bearing is just a part of the pulley...in your case it was the idler pulley, so replacing the pulley solved your problem. How would I be able to check whether its the tensioner pulley?

If you're changing these belts and pulleys, would it be wise to also change the water pump and thermostat while you're in there? not sure if the latter is something that takes minutes to do while you're doing the former. My car has 96K miles so wasn't sure when this stuff needs to get replaced. I only driver her on select weekends when it's warm. I travel so much that she's parked in the garage 80-90% of the year :(

I wish i had better answers for you but I basically let my mechanic find this and solve this problem lol. He used an Automotive Stethoscope to diagnose this problem. If i were changing the belts then I would definitely change the waterpump also but since it was just the pulley and the bearing inside it, I didn't have to. It took him about 30 mins to do it; it was also done as a favor so I don't know how much it cost or where they got the part from. Next time I come in contact with them, I'll ask them more details on it and get back to you :thumbup: check this out for the part number, http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...id=47708&hg=11 It's in one of the submenus but I'm not sure which one. I hate to hear that you don't get to drive her that often! I can't go more than a week without touching mine. Good luck on your search to find this problem:thumbsup:

fayraree 05-05-2013 01:34 PM

Possible Belt Noise

Thanks! Appreciate the follow up. Thinking of taking her to Obioban (from m3forum) in PA.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

dillard 05-06-2013 12:12 PM

Not to hijack the thread...

How hard is it to change the belts? I have two new ones sitting in my garage that I've been wanting to install.

I heard you do it from the bottom. Looks tight.

Any suggestions/advice?

sakumaxp 05-06-2013 11:35 PM

when my car made noise on cold starts, and it went away after it warmed up, it turned out to be my idler pulley was on its way to seizing up. so after i changed the pulley no more nasty sound on start up. good luck