E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   body shop? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=968661)

Cayne23 01-31-2013 07:43 AM

body shop?

Omg. Some arsehole backed up and hit my rear bumper last night. Dented the bumper, cracked the paint and put a gouge in the bumper. He wants to pay cash for the repair, but im thinking of going to the dealership. My wifes old bimmer got repaired at a place other than the dealership and the paint on her hood faded and looked horrible. I really want bmw paint. Not something that looks close. God damn it im pissed!

KashM3 01-31-2013 09:01 AM

Replace with an OEM bumper and spray it. <$700 max. Honestly, take a deep breathe. Its only a bumper. I'm sure that there are proper non-dealer body shops down there. Call the guys over at SONIC and see who they use. Tell the guy to give you a grand cash to keep it out of insurance, inconvenience, hassle etc. Spend the few hundred to properly get it done and treat your significant other to a nice dinner with the change.

Good Luck

scca_ziptie 01-31-2013 10:34 AM

I'd get a quote from the dealership, then relay it to the guy that hit you. I would then do what Kash recommended and have the OE bumper removed and resprayed. I had the exact same thing happen to me except it cracked the rear bumper support/stay which needed to be replaced. Make sure the place inspecting your car checks for damage to the support/stay as well, they missed it the first time around on mine (dealt with insurance as it was a hit and run - and they found the guy via surveillance camera footage, so I was covered). It could put a nice chunk of change in your pocket for maintenance or mods.

///Dario3 01-31-2013 10:44 AM

You sir.. :bow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KashM3 (Post 15114824)
Replace with an OEM bumper and spray it. <$700 max. Honestly, take a deep breathe. Its only a bumper. I'm sure that there are proper non-dealer body shops down there. Call the guys over at SONIC and see who they use. Tell the guy to give you a grand cash to keep it out of insurance, inconvenience, hassle etc. Spend the few hundred to properly get it done and treat your significant other to a nice dinner with the change.

Good Luck

NOVAbimmer 01-31-2013 10:47 AM

There's no such thing as "BMW paint".

The only local dealer with a body shop around here sprays PPG or BASF, I forget which.

The quality of the painter and body tech is far more important than the label on the can or the sign on the wall outside.

choxor 01-31-2013 11:33 AM

Did you get a police report.

Cayne23 01-31-2013 11:41 AM

Yea Choxor i did. Well whatever paint was used on my wifes 325is sucked. I dont wqnt to have crappy paint

jhaurimn 01-31-2013 12:44 PM

It wasn't the paint, it was how the paint was applied (and by who) but just go to the dealer and get your crazy estimate.

Guy who hit you, meet BMW dealership pricing :P

Cayne23 01-31-2013 01:39 PM

Yea, at first he was luke,...." oh its just a little dent and scratch. Should only be a.couple of hundred". Then he says" oh i got the cash", as he pulls out a wad of twenties from his pocket. I said," r u nuts?? This is an m3. Nothing is cheap on this car. ". That wad is gonna b mine, plus some. D head. Thats what u get when u back up and dont look in your mirrors. Im pissed cuz i know this is gonna be an incovienence to me

Cayne23 01-31-2013 03:58 PM

Wow. Here is the estimate for my damage. 1700.00. For parts, paint and labor. Holy s.h.i.t!! his wad of cadh isnt so big now cuz he wants to go through the insurance.