E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Mods for 325xi (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=968922)

garrettk73 02-01-2013 05:14 PM

Mods for 325xi

Ive been looking for mods for my car forever and I just cant seem to find anything. any ideas? also I was wondering if strut bars would be even worth to buy..? I know these cars aren't fast but I was also wondering if anyone had any cool interior ideas. I have a sub a deck and all sorts of stuff but I just wanna add more. Im looking for inexpensive things not like a turbo. Engine work I also do have a short ram intake but im also curious about exterior ideas. HELP!!! thanks :)

limpiabota809 02-01-2013 05:24 PM

Interior: you can wrap it with a color of choice, sport steering wheel etc.

Exterior: change corner lights, turn signals, side markers, add halos, led tails, black out kidney grills, wheels, etc.

SamDoe1 02-01-2013 05:39 PM

Is your car completely caught up on maintenance and there is not a single thing on it that could use a replacement/refresh? If there are things that need to be done, do those before mods. JMO.

garrettk73 02-01-2013 05:55 PM

everything on my car is fixed and I have absolutely no problems, runs perfectly fine

limpiabota809 02-01-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 15120319)
Is your car completely caught up on maintenance and there is not a single thing on it that could use a replacement/refresh? If there are things that need to be done, do those before mods. JMO.

Of course this, +1000000000

SamDoe1 02-02-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrettk73 (Post 15120388)
everything on my car is fixed and I have absolutely no problems, runs perfectly fine

How many miles on your car and what have you done in the past 10k or so miles?

garrettk73 02-04-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 15122698)
How many miles on your car and what have you done in the past 10k or so miles?

I have about 140k and ive just done the normal oil change and maintenance nothing big but I still need answers for struts dunno if I should get them or not. and ive noticed very horrible gas mileage too what can I do?

SamDoe1 02-04-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrettk73 (Post 15120388)

^ So this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrettk73 (Post 15127651)
I have about 140k and ive just done the normal oil change and maintenance nothing big but I still need answers for struts dunno if I should get them or not. and ive noticed very horrible gas mileage too what can I do?

^ Very much contradicts this.

Ok so now that you've pretty much admitted that your car needs actual work rather than mods, lets figure out what else is wrong with it.

Horrible gas mileage is likely related to fouled O2 sensors, plan on replacing your precat O2 sensors soon. New ones can be bought from Amazon for ~$50-60 each, you will need two.

Having 140k on the clock and only doing oil changes is a recipe for disaster. Do you have any prior records on this car? How long have you owned it?

If the following hasn't been done, please do all of these things before putting a single mod on your car.
- Cooling system refresh: New thermostat, water pump, expansion tank, and coolant.
- New fuel filter
- Check rear springs for cracking/breaking, replace if needed.
- Sway bar end links
- Check upper strut and shock mounts for wear, replace if needed
- Change transmission fluid, change fluid in both diffs, and change transfer case fluid.
- Change power steering fluid.
- Check valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets for leaks, replace if needed.
- Check intake runner for cracks/tears, replace if needed.
- Clean MAF
- Clean Idle control valve
- Check front control arms for play, replace front control arm and rear trailing arm bushings since they're likely shot by now.
- Check front axle boots for cracks/tears, replace before axle failure.

That's just a start and should keep you busy for a good while and will also help keep your mind off of mods.

Search around the site, there are DIY instructions on how to do all of these things. We're here if you need any help.

TrickTizzle 02-04-2013 03:35 PM

^ I haven't done most of those things on that list, just regular oil changes and I'm at 140k with no problems so far...except of trans of course.

SamDoe1 02-04-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickTizzle (Post 15128475)
^ I haven't done most of those things on that list, just regular oil changes and I'm at 140k with no problems so far...except of trans of course.

You've never changed your water pump, fuel filter, O2 sensors, and/or inspected components on your car for wear or failure?

White_Knuckles 02-05-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickTizzle (Post 15128475)

Wow.

I'm really upset I've been doing all this unnecessary maintenance.

bikesandcars 02-05-2013 09:02 AM

Probably better to post on another forum where people don't get violently ill or nasty when someone mentions doing modifications to their car before they've totally rebuilt it new with OEM parts

but since you asked... New (wider) wheels, sticky tires, performance brakes, stiffer suspension, etc are all good ideas to improve looks and performance.

Exterior wise.. not sure what you'd want... but you can probably find carbon fiber bits for the standard 3 series or M that will fit.

Driveline wise... if you have an auto there isn't much to do IMO... they shift well stock.. maybe there is a chip / tune out there for better throttle response. If you have a standard you could drop the transmission and have the flywheel milled for lighter weight...

Seems like people that drive these cars are either 1) driving them for daily transport (like me) or 2) not enthusiests, so not much aftermarket support is required

SamDoe1 02-05-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles (Post 15130578)
Wow.

I'm really upset I've been doing all this unnecessary maintenance.

Me too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikesandcars (Post 15131013)
Probably better to post on another forum where people don't get violently ill or nasty when someone mentions doing modifications to their car before they've totally rebuilt it new with OEM parts

but since you asked... New (wider) wheels, sticky tires, performance brakes, stiffer suspension, etc are all good ideas to improve looks and performance.

Exterior wise.. not sure what you'd want... but you can probably find carbon fiber bits for the standard 3 series or M that will fit.

Driveline wise... if you have an auto there isn't much to do IMO... they shift well stock.. maybe there is a chip / tune out there for better throttle response. If you have a standard you could drop the transmission and have the flywheel milled for lighter weight...

Seems like people that drive these cars are either 1) driving them for daily transport (like me) or 2) not enthusiests, so not much aftermarket support is required

lol wut?

No one is getting nasty or "violently ill" about anything. Just giving the OP, who is apparentlly new with this car, some good advice about how to address the daily running of his car. I don't know about you but unless my car is a garage/trailer queen, I'd rather have a bone stock but well running car than one that looks awesome but runs like sh!t.

Spend money on maintaining your car before you spend money on modding. No one is saying don't mod, but there's a lot that can and should be done before you throw that aftermarket exhaust on to prolong the life of your car especially with many E46 cars getting up into the 130k mile plus range. I bet you could do everything on the list I posted above for less than the cost of a new exhaust and it would do a lot more good than the mods.

Kubica 02-05-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 15131469)
Just giving the OP, who is apparently new with this car, some good advice

+1.

Otherwise it's just pissing away cash/time on 'mods'.

bikesandcars 02-05-2013 12:58 PM

I agree on maintenance... but LMAO you guys were right on top of the OP with the same old message... very predictable... kind of gives creedance to my sarcasm above..

caleb6 02-05-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikesandcars (Post 15131572)
I agree on maintenance... but LMAO you guys were right on top of the OP with the same old message... very predictable... kind of gives creedance to my sarcasm above..

or confidence that what they are saying is true!

bikesandcars 02-05-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caleb6 (Post 15131634)
or confidence that what they are saying is true!

oh come on... of course it is.. but am I the only one who gets tired of side-tangent maintenance threads?

just tryin to help the dude out... brotha said his car is maintained...

SamDoe1 02-05-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikesandcars (Post 15132087)
oh come on... of course it is.. but am I the only one who gets tired of side-tangent maintenance threads?

And then went on to say that it is not...

OP came in here looking for advice and that's what he got. Just not the reply he was intending to get.

You might not be the only one who gets tired of side tangent maintenance threads but there sure are a lot of us who get tired of "my car needs a buttload of work but what mods can I do first" threads.

e46alfonso 02-05-2013 04:44 PM

hell yea n!gga mod dat ish. maintenance can wait

shadow 2 02-05-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikesandcars (Post 15132087)

Agree with you. Too much ragging on people who want ideas on mods, not a lecture on maintenance.