E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Squats and deallifts misc questions (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=968941)

z00 02-01-2013 06:41 PM

Squats and deallifts misc questions

1- Squatting and deadlifting barefoot feels much more natural. What do you think? After I tried it once last year, I never squat or DL with sneakers.

2- What to do as my DL weights get heavy? I still can do more reps but my wrists and forearms are getting tired. I read using straps is not good long term and for overall natural muscle development. I do use the inverse grip (palms facing each other)

B_Cyrus 02-01-2013 06:52 PM

1. I agree, I am the usually the only guy in the gym doing squats/deadlifts in the gym without shoes. I really only do it because I slip around in my shoes.

2. I am dealing with the same issues. Anything above 400 and my grip starts to go haywire.

z00 02-01-2013 07:02 PM

1- Good to know. I get some funny looks from people but who cares.

2- My grip gets weak around 285, I weigh 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Cyrus (Post 15120759)
1. I agree, I am the usually the only guy in the gym doing squats/deadlifts in the gym. I really only do it because I slip around in my shoes.

2. I am dealing with the same issues. Anything above 400 and my grip starts to go haywire.

dabears 02-01-2013 07:10 PM

I squatted barefoot before I started using my very flat Lacoste shoes.

Try an alternating grip (dominant palm facing, other out)

I'm not at the point where I need straps/chalk and I have similar numbers

DylloS 02-01-2013 07:11 PM

I used to squat barefoot but now since my floor is ice cold I do it in my minimalist new balances.

As for the grip. Try over under or chalk.

sadpanda03 02-01-2013 07:11 PM

Barefoot is probably the best you can do. Or use chucks if you want shoes. The more flat your feet are the better. It forces you to use your musles in your legs.

I use Nike frees because I am flat footed and they provide good arch support, forcing a proper footing.

Its pretty sad how few people do squats and deadlifts, they are among the most important lifts to gain size and overall body strength.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Bimmer App

sadpanda03 02-01-2013 07:13 PM

Do you use wraps? I'd recommend them if your grip starts to slack on the higher weights. Or you can try tucking your thumb under your fingers instead of on top. It is sort of awkward at first but you get used to it.

Sensi09 02-01-2013 07:25 PM

Always plan to get some new flat workout shoes, but always end up buying shoes that I'd wear out instead.

Anyhow, I use a running type of shoe and really no problems. I've taken some videos when I DL and can't visibly see any compression and notice that I'm more on my toes (not sure if that's bad form). One thing about flat shoes or bareboot, is that when you compare to actual weightlifting shoes, the dedicatied weightlifting shoes typically have a heel and are not flat.

Had some big grip issues before switching to over/under. Now my grip isn't the issue....just the weight doesn't get off the ground sometimes.

z00 02-01-2013 08:22 PM

That's the grip I use and I inverse the grip on every set to keep grip balance

Since you have similar numbers, when I get to 4th-5th rep my wrists and arms just pretty much lose all strength. The rest of my body still has strength in it to do a couple more reps. Don't you have this issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears (Post 15120798)
I squatted barefoot before I started using my very flat Lacoste shoes.

Try an alternating grip (dominant palm facing, other out)

I'm not at the point where I need straps/chalk and I have similar numbers

I don't use wraps. I read for safety reasons and over all grip strength it's good to have a natural grip (thumps on top).
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadpanda03 (Post 15120802)
Do you use wraps? I'd recommend them if your grip starts to slack on the higher weights. Or you can try tucking your thumb under your fingers instead of on top. It is sort of awkward at first but you get used to it.

I tried with my Taek Won Do shoes (very flat) and I still find barefoot most natural and best feeling while squatting and deadlifting. I can get the bar off the ground fine, it's just in the last few reps where my grip and arms give up
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi09 (Post 15120834)
Always plan to get some new flat workout shoes, but always end up buying shoes that I'd wear out instead.

Anyhow, I use a running type of shoe and really no problems. I've taken some videos when I DL and can't visibly see any compression and notice that I'm more on my toes (not sure if that's bad form). One thing about flat shoes or bareboot, is that when you compare to actual weightlifting shoes, the dedicatied weightlifting shoes typically have a heel and are not flat.

Had some big grip issues before switching to over/under. Now my grip isn't the issue....just the weight doesn't get off the ground sometimes.

dabears 02-01-2013 08:29 PM

nope no grip issues, my PR is 315 x 1 and it was my legs that failed me on the second rep attempt getting off the ground.

deadlifting, chinups/pullups will greatly improve your grip strength over time

z00 02-01-2013 08:34 PM

How long do you keep the bar on the ground? For max weights I see some guys bouncing the weights off the rubber mats. It's hard to explain but pretty much the bar touches the floor and comes back up right away. Forgot the the technique's name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears (Post 15120990)
nope no grip issues, my PR is 315 x 1 and it was my legs that failed me on the second rep attempt getting off the ground.

deadlifting, chinups/pullups will greatly improve your grip strength over time

BreakMyWallet 02-01-2013 08:34 PM

My grip failed at 525 :eeps:

B_Cyrus 02-01-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet (Post 15121001)
My grip failed at 525 :eeps:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

dabears 02-01-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z00 (Post 15121000)
How long do you keep the bar on the ground? For max weights I see some guys bouncing the weights off the rubber mats. It's hard to explain but pretty much the bar touches the floor and comes back up right away. Forgot the the technique's name.

my reps are very controlled, i lock out at the top then bar touches body all the way as I "sit" back down, I let weight rest on floor and then start next rep.

The weight doesn't sit on floor for more than 2-3 seconds, enough time to set myself again / adjust my grip. No added momentum.

sadpanda03 02-01-2013 09:01 PM

Thanks for letting me know about the thumb placement. Didn't know it was bad!

z00 02-02-2013 09:53 AM

Also for bench and any other grip, thumps on top is better and safer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadpanda03 (Post 15121069)
Thanks for letting me know about the thumb placement. Didn't know it was bad!

z00 02-02-2013 09:54 AM

I don't do any dedicated forearms exercise. Do you? Maybe I should start to improve grip strength.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears (Post 15121019)
my reps are very controlled, i lock out at the top then bar touches body all the way as I "sit" back down, I let weight rest on floor and then start next rep.

The weight doesn't sit on floor for more than 2-3 seconds, enough time to set myself again / adjust my grip. No added momentum.

AmazingNutz 02-02-2013 01:15 PM

Does anyone DL using the Sumo posture? I switched over from the traditional position because it was hurting my back, maybe I had bad form.

Back on topic, I work out at home and squat and DL with house slippers. I'm gonna try barefoot because I slip and slide a little with the slippers.

Sent from my G6

dabears 02-02-2013 01:20 PM

Deadlifts should fatigue the back, but not cause pain. Out of the big 3 (squat/benchpress/deadlift) I personally think its the hardest form to learn, and when I see people deadlifting almost 99% of the time there is something wrong with their form.

Sumo is more leg intensive, and as you found out, takes away from the "back" part of the exercise. Stick to squats and romanian (stiff legged) deadlifts for quad / hamstring development and deadlift conventional with proper form to get a ripped back.

Act of God 02-02-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z00 (Post 15122116)
I don't do any dedicated forearms exercise. Do you? Maybe I should start to improve grip strength.

I've been working forearms 2x a week whenever I can fit them in, got wicked bad golfer's elbow. Be careful.