E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Violent Steering Vibration, don't know where to start. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=969244)

Speed Density 02-04-2013 01:46 AM

Violent Steering Vibration, don't know where to start.

I've got a 325xiT but I figure this will fit in the general section and hopefully ya'll can help me get started on trouble shooting it.

I've had some sloppy, clanky (if i turn the wheel back and fourth quickly, I can hear a noise like metalish) for about a month. It doesnt feel as firm, tight as it used too. I was driving home last week and my car started to pull to the left more than normal, even with the road crown here and then all of the sudden the steering wheel was vibrating a ton and almost shuttering left and right a bit. I pulled over, inspected and couldnt find anything obvious.

I was close enough to home that I could limp the car there, once in my neighborhood I could hear like a drum sound from the rear, something not right.

Update to today, I pulled my intake charge pipes (air filter, maf) and was looking down at the side of the engine, case and there is red fluid on top of the case, dripping down on the ground. The power steering reservoir is 3/4 full.

So, any ideas where I should start?

warriorpluto 02-04-2013 06:22 AM

Check for leaks in power steering hoses and maybe check condition of your front control arm bushings

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

NukeMiller 02-04-2013 06:32 AM

If you heard something from the rear also, check your differential and the ball joints where your axle connects to your wheels

vandyboy 02-04-2013 07:29 AM

I would also inspect power steering pump and/or steering rack.

KKB-BMW 02-10-2013 11:09 AM

Hi Everyone
Hope this may help other Fanatics, My 2004 BMW 330ci's power steering all of a sudden started to vibrate when trying to turn wheel. Also got the screeching sound. Took it in to trusted mechanic. He checked it over and said it was the pump. I said before you install new pump clean and flush reservoir and lines for power pump. He call back says pump is working and returning ATF to reservoir. He stated must be the rack. Ok grabbed new pump and begin search for steering rack. Made one stop paid bill re-start vehicle and noise is gone vibration is gone vehicle steers great. Point is a good clean and flush should be performed first. Of course if you take belt off power steering pulley and pulley can be pulled away from pump then you need a new pump. Hope this helps. KKB

Speed Density 02-11-2013 07:29 PM

Update on this:

I put the car in the air and started to inspect the front CAB's, Tierods, and ball joints. Everything is kosher, there isnt anything that is extremely hammered to where it should be obvious. So, I decided to take it for a little spin around the block to replicate what issues I may have been having originally.

Well. When driving, about 15mph the steering wheel starts to shutter to the left. Driving straight it will jolt left some, some more and about 25% of a turn until you fight it back and correct the wheel. If you let it go the whole car will wobble and feel really unstable.

At this point, I think it could be the rack considering I can't find any suspension that is trashed. However, the shaking, wobbling, shuttering is really violent.