E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do you instantly judge people by their grammar? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=969863)

kuksul08 02-07-2013 12:48 AM

Do you instantly judge people by their grammar?

In general, it's easy to judge one's intelligence immediately by their grammar; the way they form sentences, use punctuation, use capitalization, spelling, etc.

but ive defanitely seen ppl who are realy smart in person and no a lot but still have bad grammer when writing. or dumbasses who use fancy words to try too sound smart.

Do you instantly judge people and look up to them or down on them merely based on whether they're using big fancy words versus not knowing the difference between there/their/they're?

or do you try to look past there weak education and see if their good problem solvers and just smart in a different way?

Dreamliner330 02-07-2013 12:51 AM

wat

s3th 02-07-2013 12:53 AM

imean if its luk dis den yis i Du

nardog 02-07-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuksul08 (Post 15138069)
In general, it's easy to judge one's intelligence immediately by their grammar; the way they form sentences, use punctuation, use capitalization, spelling, etc.

but ive defanitely seen ppl who are realy smart in person and no a lot but still have bad grammer when writing. or dumbasses who use fancy words to try too sound smart.

Do you instantly judge people and look up to them or down on them merely based on whether they're using big fancy words versus not knowing the difference between there/their/they're?

or do you try to look past there weak education and see if their good problem solvers and just smart in a different way?

Troll.

kuksul08 02-07-2013 12:57 AM

Basically, I've known a lot of smart people that couldn't spell or form complete sentences for the life of them. People get called out and overlooked for having bad grammar online all the time, but it's not so cut and dried.

zuckuss00 02-07-2013 01:07 AM

definetly

Dan99 02-07-2013 01:19 AM

grammar is not always a good indication of intelligence, imo.

Ballistic325 02-07-2013 01:20 AM

kuksul... first up, you're trolling as cpnardi already caught on.

Second, yes, I do make judgements based on grammar and the use of language - not just written but spoken as well. From what I've found it's not so much about intelligence as it is about the ability to express an idea or make a point.

And there's a difference between "book smart" and "street smart". One doesn't function well in the other's world. A person who is both book and street smart is a more unusual find and seem to do quite well, IMHO.

YMMV.

And to be totally honest, it can be more of an irritation than a judgement however I do use it help form an idea of the person but not their "intelligence". What was that quote from Einstein? Something about a fish and climbing a tree?

ToMuchFun 02-07-2013 01:26 AM

Ovyusly

saxual328ci 02-07-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuksul08 (Post 15138069)

Grammar can be based on someone's cultural environment or education background. When some are set in a learning environment they tend to reference real life experience instead of learning the rules for proper grammar. Have you ever heard of the expression "You talk a good game" ? Anyone can speak proper but if you can back that up with some knowledge, then it means nothing. Also, it is a known fact that America has been one sided for years on education. So much so that, you can meet someone who has a 5th grade education but still has a lot of knowledge in a field that they are passion about. I was watching a documentary on George Washington Carver. He had no formal education prior to college. What he did has was a thirst for knowledge. This guy invented stuff back in 1890s that we still use today.

Plus in America we don't speak or write English. Its a form of English. Over 400 million versions of the "English" language. Pop culture and immigrants changes the way we "speak". Again, for this reason you can judge someone on the grammar (verbally or literally)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan99 (Post 15138110)
grammar is not always a good indication of intelligence, imo.

I totally agree.

brew 02-07-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxual328ci (Post 15138204)
Grammar can be based on someone's cultural environment or education background. When some are set in a learning environment they tend to reference real life experience instead of learning the rules for proper grammar. Have you ever heard of the expression "You talk a good game" ? Anyone can speak proper but if you can back that up with some knowledge, then it means nothing. Also, it is a known fact that America has been one sided for years on education. So much so that, you can meet someone who has a 5th grade education but still has a lot of knowledge in a field that they are passion about. I was watching a documentary on George Washington Carver. He had no formal education prior to college. What he did has was a thirst for knowledge. This guy invented stuff back in 1890s that we still use today.

Plus in America we don't speak or write English. Its a form of English. Over 400 million versions of the "English" language. Pop culture and immigrants changes the way we "speak". Again, for this reason you can judge someone on the grammar (verbally or literally)

I totally agree.

I judge people more on posts like this. This is complete gibberish. I went camping this summer with some guys who eat psychedelics for a living (literally) - and at one point one of them had taken 30 hits of acid and was frying off the charts . . and the stuff coming out of his mouth was far more lucid and logical than what saxual328ci just wrote.

Stankia 02-07-2013 03:25 AM

No, never. It's no the High School anymore.

Gheybe 02-07-2013 03:28 AM

Yes, strongly. But judge way more on what they do with it.

06E46M3 02-07-2013 03:34 AM

i typ like dis on the internet cause it doesnt ****en matter. nerds.

Solidjake 02-07-2013 03:46 AM

Yes.

Green_Shine 02-07-2013 06:26 AM

Yes.

Brucifer325 02-07-2013 06:27 AM

I have to meet grampar before I make a decision.

NJ///M 02-07-2013 06:45 AM

I know a girl who has impecable grammar but is a complete ditz in every other aspect of life. In this case one is not indicative of the other, but proper use of language is generally a good indication of intelligence.

Carskibum 02-07-2013 07:33 AM

Different types of intelligence. Grammar is heavily based on memory so some folks are naturally going to be less in tune.

Those that harp on it seem to lack a lot social skills and probably will have problems leading others. In the end, I guess I'd rather have less than stellar grammar than be a cube mole.

clk500 02-07-2013 07:42 AM

I know an idiot savant that has terrible grammar but knows computers and fixes any computers/laptops and servers.