E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Best Rear Lower Control Arms for under $200? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=970404)

Sweetness 02-10-2013 05:59 PM

Best Rear Lower Control Arms for under $200?

As the title says. What is the best rear lower control arm for under $200? Why? How long have you had it? Noisy? Quiet? Where did you buy from? How does the adjustable part work? I want stock camber. With these arms, does the camber fall out of alignment easily?

Mango 02-10-2013 06:03 PM

used stock

Sweetness 02-10-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15148664)
used stock

I beg to differ.

Mango 02-10-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetness (Post 15148668)
I beg to differ.

and why is that, exactly?

this will be fun.

Sweetness 02-10-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15148670)
and why is that, exactly?

this will be fun.

More adjustability, stronger, lighter, looks better.

Mango 02-10-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetness (Post 15148679)
More adjustability, stronger, lighter, looks better.

1) You said you wanted to retain stock camber. What exactly are you adjusting and why?

2) Stronger--exactly how would stronger be better? (I know why this isn't true, but will reserve my answer for later)

3) Lighter? How so?

4) Looks? These aren't civics. The underbody should be hidden as much as possible.

badfast 02-10-2013 06:39 PM

ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-E46-...1e6d93&vxp=mtr

In the end it is just a rear control arm. I have the same type on mine except blue. They have held up to track days. I purchased the cheap ebay ones after my AKG Motorsport ones seized.

Sweetness 02-10-2013 08:16 PM

Hmm interesting. Thanks. And yes, MangoMax, I don't want them to stick out, but I want them to be like a nice pair of socks that become visible when the suit leg rises up when I sit down. And I guess it is just a control arm. Maybe stock would the safest. Seems like these things aren't too durable

Mango 02-10-2013 08:36 PM

They are plenty durable. They're both strong AND weak where they need to be. Guess what happens to your solid aftermarket control arm when you strike a curb...

Nothing. That's the problem.

As far as stiffening the stock arm for track purposes, there's reinforcement kits you can weld on. basically consists of a few sheets of metal you weld on. bracing.

Seems like you just want to buy it for the sake of having it. Totally unnecessary and the stock arms are 100x better IMO than any aftermarket junk.

Sweetness 02-10-2013 08:41 PM

Found brand new Lemforders for $88 together at FCP Euro. Thanks Mango.

sweetness, out

badfast 02-10-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15149028)
They are plenty durable. They're both strong AND weak where they need to be. Guess what happens to your solid aftermarket control arm when you strike a curb...

Nothing. That's the problem.

As far as stiffening the stock arm for track purposes, there's reinforcement kits you can weld on. basically consists of a few sheets of metal you weld on. bracing.

Seems like you just want to buy it for the sake of having it. Totally unnecessary and the stock arms are 100x better IMO than any aftermarket junk.

That's an odd claim to make. Stock arms are fine for stock purposes, but once you require the need for adjustment the stock arms use becomes limited. The arm isn't stiffened for track purposes as the arm isn't a high stress item. The flimsy stock arms are a testament to that.

Mango 02-10-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfast (Post 15149114)
That's an odd claim to make. Stock arms are fine for stock purposes, but once you require the need for adjustment the stock arms use becomes limited. The arm isn't stiffened for track purposes as the arm isn't a high stress item. The flimsy stock arms are a testament to that.

OP said he wanted to retain stock camber.

Mango 02-10-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfast (Post 15149114)

Oh and by the way, please do your research before making a claim.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...ement-kit.aspx

777eThOd* 02-10-2013 10:38 PM

Godspeed Adjustable Control Arms are hefty and cheap.

Mango 02-10-2013 10:44 PM

OP already made a wise choice by getting OE spec arms. Aftermarket solid arms are a waste of money and honestly dangerous to your car and potentially you. Plus they look trashy

badfast 02-10-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15149328)
Oh and by the way, please do your research before making a claim.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...ement-kit.aspx

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15149347)
OP already made a wise choice by getting OE spec arms. Aftermarket solid arms are a waste of money and honestly dangerous to your car and potentially you. Plus they look trashy

I will take my many years of actual track experience. Thanks though.

Something that can't be seen is trashy looking? :confused:

How are solid arms a waste of money and dangerous? Some people require the adjustment they provide. Because they don't support your needs doesn't mean they don't support the needs of someone else.

Mango 02-10-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfast (Post 15149410)
I will take my many years of actual track experience. Thanks though.

Something that can't be seen is trashy looking? :confused:

How are solid arms a waste of money and dangerous? Some people require the adjustment they provide. Because they don't support your needs doesn't mean they don't support the needs of someone else.

You said rear control arms on E46s aren't stiffened for track purposes. Did you know BMW does? ;)

Also nobody said they didn't offer the adjustment they provided. My response was for the OP who said he wanted to retain stock camber. This is the OP's thread, not yours.

And yes you can see them, especially when they're being installed.

How are they dangerous? Do you know what they do and how they work?? Something tells me you aren't clear on the basics of how these cars work??? :hi:

777eThOd* 02-10-2013 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeh you can't miss them.. Lol.. ;P

badfast 02-10-2013 11:27 PM

I guess my car spends more time on the ground then on a lift. :dunno:

777eThOd* 02-10-2013 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah your kinda right. That's a ground shot.