E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rear end clunk Poll (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=970438)

Mctwist77 02-10-2013 09:53 PM

Rear end clunk Poll
 
Alright so there are hundreds of rear end clunk threads on this site and I thought it would be cool with we got a ballpark figure of how many members have a clunk and how many member had the clunk but go it repaired.

Andy2108 02-10-2013 09:58 PM

What is this poll supposed to be? All of those options could have possibly solved the clunk. And you're overlooking a lot of things... play in the differential, rear shock mounts, broken springs...

Mctwist77 02-10-2013 10:00 PM

I was just looking to see how people have solved their clunk. Im talking about the clunk people are getting when they are shifting.

Andy2108 02-10-2013 10:07 PM

You should specify that more clearly. I think its usually the CSB/Guibo. I'm currently living with it on my M3 but I plan to address it soon. My 330Ci had the same exact clunk.

ryannel2003 02-10-2013 10:10 PM

Sub'd. I have a bad rear diff bushing, csb and guibo. All replacing this week or coming weekend and will report back with results.

Mctwist77 02-10-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryannel2003 (Post 15149271)
Sub'd. I have a bad rear diff bushing, csb and guibo. All replacing this week or coming weekend and will report back with results.

Awesome! Let us know. Dont be heart broken if it doesnt go away though :facepalm:

ryannel2003 02-10-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mctwist77 (Post 15149276)
Awesome! Let us know. Dont be heart broken if it doesnt go away though :facepalm:

Eh if not I'm going to live with it. At this point a car with 155k miles isn't worth investing too much more into with things like clunks. My rear diff bushing is actually so bad that pieces of the bushings are missing from the carrier. So I'm about 99.9% sure that's where my problem lies. The diff tool should be here sometime this week and then I'll get started on it.

badfast 02-10-2013 10:21 PM

Solved mine. Replaced the rear diff bushing.

Mctwist77 02-10-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryannel2003 (Post 15149287)
Eh if not I'm going to live with it. At this point a car with 155k miles isn't worth investing too much more into with things like clunks. My rear diff bushing is actually so bad that pieces of the bushings are missing from the carrier. So I'm about 99.9% sure that's where my problem lies. The diff tool should be here sometime this week and then I'll get started on it.

Tip! Make sure you hit the axle bolts with some pb blaster because if you strip them its not pretty

J LAU 02-13-2013 02:41 AM

I got my rear clunk after around i switched to Coilover around 9 months ago.
i narrowed down to RSM/ diff bushing/ RTAB/ subframe bushings/ other bushings

After reading hundreds of threads/posts. I had my rsm and rtab changed and clunk is still there. So next I am going for my diff bushing.

How much did it cost you guys to get this fixed at the shop.

Mctwist77 02-13-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J LAU (Post 15157511)
I got my rear clunk after around i switched to Coilover around 9 months ago.
i narrowed down to RSM/ diff bushing/ RTAB/ subframe bushings/ other bushings

After reading hundreds of threads/posts. I had my rsm and rtab changed and clunk is still there. So next I am going for my diff bushing.

How much did it cost you guys to get this fixed at the shop.

Expect to pay between 300 and 500. You need to drop the diff and use the special tool to put it out and in. If you have jackstands, a jack and you rent to tool off someone on the forums you could save a couple hundred. Dropping the diff sounds scary but its really not.

J LAU 02-19-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mctwist77 (Post 15157915)
Expect to pay between 300 and 500. You need to drop the diff and use the special tool to put it out and in. If you have jackstands, a jack and you rent to tool off someone on the forums you could save a couple hundred. Dropping the diff sounds scary but its really not.

thanks for the reply. I have been looking up DIYs. Your right, it doesnt sound tooooo bad, but just needs the right tools which is a bitch.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use