E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   NY / NJ / CT (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   M3 Sighting in Newark NJ Area (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=971206)

ard5040 02-15-2013 04:50 AM

M3 Sighting in Newark NJ Area

I know that this is a long shot but figured that if anyone would understand, readers on this forum would. My steel gray, mint condition 03 M3 was stolen in Newark NJ yesterday at 12:03 PM. Before anyone asks, security cameras have video of a black Porsche Cayenne driving by it , backing up, and the passenger in and driving off in about 30 seconds. Anyway, I'm hoping that it's not on it's way overseas but driving around the Essex, Hudson, maybe Passaic area. It's steel gray with dove interior. There is a small crack in the diffuser to the right of the right exhaust pipe. IT HAD NY plate FHD 6217. If anyone happens to see it, please call the local cops. Newark pd has the report and hopefully the interest to check it out.

dmax 02-15-2013 04:55 AM

I'll keep my eyes open...

Sorry to hear it, OP. What were you thinking, if you don't mind my asking, of having your M3 in Newark on the streets?

Anyway, I'm on the job...crack on diffuser. Any other distinguishing marks?

paraklas 02-15-2013 05:01 AM

Within 30 seconds, they managed to break in AND drive off ?!? :yikes:

ard5040 02-15-2013 05:33 AM

I work in Newark and usually park in a gated private lot but the ramp to it was damaged in the recent frigid weather. The college had shut down the lot for a couple of days to make repairs so I parked on the street. Should have rented a Toyota for three days. Hind sight. And yes, 30 seconds on the security camera clock.

steve bettencourt 02-15-2013 05:57 AM

I am installing a lot of after market stuff to personalise , to hear that they could steel your car in thirty seconds with a factory alarm is crazy , in the future
I want to go to some of the bimmer cruse and over night , I am definitely having a after market alarm system installed, sorry to hear hope you find it in one piece

dusty132 02-15-2013 07:40 AM

I will keep my eyes open. I brought my e46 to class in Newark as well. I hope they find the car.

college46 02-15-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve bettencourt (Post 15165198)
I am installing a lot of after market stuff to personalise , to hear that they could steel your car in thirty seconds with a factory alarm is crazy , in the future
I want to go to some of the bimmer cruse and over night , I am definitely having a after market alarm system installed, sorry to hear hope you find it in one piece

An aftermarket alarm wont stop a thief determined to steal your car. Imo, most times, the thief will steal the car regardless of the alarm.

Op,
Very sorry for your loss. I hope they find it.

jerseyzillest 02-15-2013 09:40 AM

Damn man I live right next door too, :/ ill definitely be on the look out!! But that thing is probably in an inclosed lot somewhere by now. But 30 seconds to steal a BMW o.O that's crazy!

avincent52 02-15-2013 09:45 AM

That's just terrible. I live in Essex County so I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

Funny, just yesterday afternoon I answered a Craig's List ad, and got a great deal on a clean, steel grey 2003 M3.
Really smooth transaction. Called the guy up and an hour later we met in East Orange. Guy drove up in the M3 followed by his friend in a black Cayenne.
Nice guys. Great price.

It had a broken lock and a little curbage on the right rear wheels, and a crack on the bottom of the rear bumper. So because of that and the dove interior a few other problems, and the fact that the guy was moving to Oklahoma for a new job, I was able to negotiate him down to $4,000. A little hard to believe that I called the guy at 12:30 yesterday and by quarter to two I had a new-to-me M3, but you've got to jump on a deal like that.

The owner said he had to go to his mother's house in Coney Island this morning to get the title, but I'm going to him meet this afternoon by this really great hot dog stand in Newark.

I'll post pics of my new baby later today, and of course, I'll be on the look out for your car, OP.

E36bimmer 02-15-2013 09:53 AM

I thought you can only start these with the key because of the chip inside of it or something? or is that a myth?

KingBee 02-15-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avincent52 (Post 15165566)
That's just terrible. I live in Essex County so I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

Funny, just yesterday afternoon I answered a Craig's List ad, and got a great deal on a clean, steel grey 2003 M3.
Really smooth transaction. Called the guy up and an hour later we met in East Orange. Guy drove up in the M3 followed by his friend in a black Cayenne.
Nice guys. Great price.

It had a broken lock and a little curbage on the right rear wheels, and a crack on the bottom of the rear bumper. So because of that and the dove interior a few other problems, and the fact that the guy was moving to Oklahoma for a new job, I was able to negotiate him down to $4,000. A little hard to believe that I called the guy at 12:30 yesterday and by quarter to two I had a new-to-me M3, but you've got to jump on a deal like that.

The owner said he had to go to his mother's house in Coney Island this morning to get the title, but I'm going to him meet this afternoon by this really great hot dog stand in Newark.

I'll post pics of my new baby later today, and of course, I'll be on the look out for your car, OP.

Sounds like you bought OPs stolen car ... and are out $4000 ... what thaaaa ... :eek:

jerseyzillest 02-15-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Nice guys. Great price.

Trolling at its finest.

avincent52 02-15-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingBee (Post 15165625)
Sounds like you bought OPs stolen car ... and are out $4000 ... what thaaaa ... :eek:

That's ridiculous. The guy I bought it from--Dave, he said his name was--told me that he was the original owner, and that he had changed the oil every 3,000 miles with BMW synthetic, and that the only reason he was selling it was that his company was transferring him to Oklahoma City next Monday and his boss told him couldn't take his car there. And that it was his little sister who broke the door lock when she locked the keys in the car but was to afraid to tell him.

His friend in the black Cayenne--his name was Dave too--vouched for him on all of this.

And Dave gave me a receipt for the $4,000, and left me his house keys until he brings me the title today.

It's all on the up and up.

But when I hear the OPs story, it makes me think that living in New Jersey and all, I ought to get an alarm right away, even before I replace the cooling system. Just can't be too careful.

TOMMY G 02-15-2013 12:26 PM

So can you explain how the car was stolen? I think I read everything but that car (95+newer) has EWS and can not be stolen without a key.
Keys can not be bought without proper ID which is sent to BMW N/A

I was at a dealer for 12 yrs and never had one legitimately stolen after investigating

uptownni99a 02-15-2013 12:49 PM

they vinned your car before n came back with a made key with a chip, hopped in and started it n left... they guy selling the car for 4000 i gaurentee you the vin wont match the cars engine i gaurentee they changed the windshield vin with another m3 title or something n just got you for 4.000 no body sells an m3 for 4,000 unless its stolen... period good luck n next time dont park an m3 where it cant be seen by you n think of investing in a wheel lock n a fuel line cut off...

LTD36 02-15-2013 01:40 PM

Wow, that's really unfortuante. I'm sorry to hear that. I'll have my buddies in that area keep an eye out for it for you. Good luck and I hope you get it back asap!

ard5040 02-15-2013 01:58 PM

Tommy G thanks for the info. I contacted BMW of NA . Their office does in fact keep track of all duplicate keys that are made. They were able to tell me that a key was made by a central Jersey dealership this past Monday. I'm hoping that they have security cameras. The Newark PD doesn't seem that interested.

ard5040 02-15-2013 02:10 PM

Spoke to soon, it was NOT my car's key that was duplicated, off by one digit on the VIN. The supervisor who called from BMW NA did tell me that it was not impossible to start the car without a key but that after driving approx 20 miles that the system would recognize that the car had been started "illegally" and would shut down the motor.

morraz3 02-15-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Nice guys. Great price.

Is this guy serious? or is he just making fun of the op?

metal massager 02-15-2013 08:53 PM

So sorry those dbmf'ers got your car.

Man, 30 seconds is just mindblowing.....

On the plus,....your next one will be better ;)