E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Storing my SMG for the next 10 months... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=971254)

TitanSl33pr 02-15-2013 11:51 AM

Storing my SMG for the next 10 months...

Good morning everyone. My 03SMGM3 will have to be stored for the next 10-12 months. My Fiancee has been tasked with starting it and taking it for a short drive around the block once, biweekly. What is your experience and suggestions for properly preparing this beast for storage?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Bimmer App

///M Powerd 02-15-2013 11:58 AM

I thought short drives were bad for these cars, but maybe its just M3s. I thought u should take longer drives to allow the engine/oil to get up to temp and allow the alternator to charge the battery. Also getting a battery tender is a good idea.

scca_ziptie 02-15-2013 02:15 PM

Short drives = bad for an ///M. The fluids won't get up to proper temperature among other things. Make sure she drives it for at least 20 miles, ensuring proper operating temperatures are achieved. As "///M Powered" stated, a battery tender is also a good move to keep the battery from becoming weak or actually failing. Placement of moth balls around the car on the ground and some placed inside the engine bay are also a must to keep the critters from making themselves at home and potentially wreaking havoc on your wiring harness (have personally seen this twice - 1 on a Miata and the other on a 46 ///M - both of which were hugely expensive to correct).

TitanSl33pr 02-15-2013 08:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Although I stated that she would go for short drives, it was more figure of speech. I definitely will take heed to these suggestions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

CroVlado 02-16-2013 12:55 PM

park it, put it on a battery tender, and drain the fluids. should be fine to sit all year then.

kaput 02-17-2013 10:46 AM

My car sat for 14 months straight, with a dead battery attached, flat tire and a broken LCM. I replaced the LCM and replaced the battery, turned the key and it fired right up. No CEL, no issues what so ever. It was like it was parked yesterday.

Blocked Out 02-17-2013 11:05 AM

Omg, some replies on here are plain retarded ! Drain the fluids???:facepalm: Imagine this facepalm but 100 times bigger, that what i did when I read it.

If you park it for that long , you need to store it with wheels off of the ground in order not to flatspot your tires. Store the car on jackstands with wheels off the ground. Full tank of 94 gas in the tank and a bottle of fuel stabilizer. Take the battery right out of the car, you dont need to for 11 months, there is ABSOLUTELY no point of keeping it and charging it for that time.

Thats it, just let it sit , dont start it in between (it does absolutely nothing to the car).

Nothing happens to the car if it just sits for a year, as long as its off the ground and sits in a heated garage so it doesnt rust. If you worry alot, you can spray ALOT of WD40 on your brake rotors so they dont form a rust glare.

When you take it out of storage , pour a quart or oil in BEFORE you start. Why? because after a yea of sitting all the old oil will drain into the pan, and little to no oil will remain in the top end that insures proper protection during initial start up. You can drain and change oil after a few hundred miles.

TitanSl33pr 02-17-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blocked Out (Post 15170706)
Omg, some replies on here are plain retarded ! Drain the fluids???:facepalm: Imagine this facepalm but 100 times bigger, that what i did when I read it.

If you park it for that long , you need to store it with wheels off of the ground in order not to flatspot your tires. Store the car on jackstands with wheels off the ground. Full tank of 94 gas in the tank and a bottle of fuel stabilizer. Take the battery right out of the car, you dont need to for 11 months, there is ABSOLUTELY no point of keeping it and charging it for that time.

Thats it, just let it sit , dont start it in between (it does absolutely nothing to the car).

Nothing happens to the car if it just sits for a year, as long as its off the ground and sits in a heated garage so it doesnt rust. If you worry alot, you can spray ALOT of WD40 on your brake rotors so they dont form a rust glare.

When you take it out of storage , pour a quart or oil in BEFORE you start. Why? because after a yea of sitting all the old oil will drain into the pan, and little to no oil will remain in the top end that insures proper protection during initial start up. You can drain and change oil after a few hundred miles.

Sounds more like that's what I want to do. I initially wanted my Fiancee to drive it periodically, but I am still leaning towards setting it on jack stands and adding Stabilizer to the tank and lubricating the rotors. Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App