E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   BMW Scanner 1.4.0 or Dealer flash? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=971509)

Species0113 02-16-2013 11:30 PM

BMW Scanner 1.4.0 or Dealer flash?

Are there any guides or instructions for the BMW scanner 1.4.0? Or does it come with some sort of instructions? Also, will my Shark tune conflict with the BMW scanner 1.4.0 rewrite? I'm not sure what all info the Shark saves or rewrites but I'm not trying to buy another one. Finally got a complete oem xenon setup w/ A/E's pieced together. Just trying to decide on the BMW scanner vs. the dealer flash. Thanx in advance

turbo_f22_pilot 02-17-2013 01:28 AM

If all you need is to flash/recode from halogen to HID, there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what capabilities BMW Scanner has, but it's simple with GT1. (INPA/DIS/GT1)

There are several fanatics in PA that might be able to assist you.

BMWCaptain 02-17-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Species0113 (Post 15170161)
Are there any guides or instructions for the BMW scanner 1.4.0? Or does it come with some sort of instructions? Also, will my Shark tune conflict with the BMW scanner 1.4.0 rewrite? I'm not sure what all info the Shark saves or rewrites but I'm not trying to buy another one. Finally got a complete oem xenon setup w/ A/E's pieced together. Just trying to decide on the BMW scanner vs. the dealer flash. Thanx in advance

It would be easier to answer if you can clarify what it is that you want to do.

If all you are doing is changing headlights from halogen to Xenon, it would be very easy to just check xenon for your lighting control and re-program your car with the BMW scanner 1.40.

If you want to re-program your engine tune that will be a little more complicated. You would have to save your current setup so you can restore it. You would re-program your engine control with whatever new tune you wanted. If it does not work, then restore your old setup.

Species0113 02-17-2013 04:17 PM

All I want to do is swap out my halogens for the xenons and re flash it. Just making sure I can do it myself with the BMW scanner 1.4 or will I have to get the dealer to do it. I currently have a shark tune on it and wanted to make sure the flash did not affect that. I am just not familiar with the flash process as far as if you can choose what gets flashed or if its a complete rewrite of the ecm.

BMWCaptain 02-17-2013 04:28 PM

It is very easy to do with Scanner v1.40 . You are not touching many of your subsystems, so your tune will not be affected. All you will be doing is changing you Lighting Control Module setting to tell it what kind of lighting you have. It is as simple as checking Xenon and saving.

Species0113 02-17-2013 04:44 PM

Sweet. thnx. Just ordered the scanner.