E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   NY / NJ / CT (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Looking for a bmw mechanic in NY NJ area (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=971530)

bmwnyc81 08-30-2012 03:50 PM

Looking for a BMW mechanic in New Jersey/New york

hey Guys,

I thought I would just check in this board if someone lives near Jersey City, NJ and who can help me with some E46 repairs that I need to do in my car this Friday or Saturday.. Please email me for the rates..

Thanks!

Mango 08-30-2012 03:56 PM

There's a man that lives on a dusty backroad down by the abandoned taco stand. Rumor has it that the carpets in his home are fern green. He likes these kinds of jobs... he says it's good for his back. The fellow's called "DMAX." He gives free inspections, I hear. He lives right by the new jersey turnpike next to the hudson river down by the trees. if you see a pile of beagle carcasses, you know you've gone too far.

dmax 08-30-2012 04:04 PM

Would you please work up a new paragraph for me, Mango? For some reason, that one presents me in a very odd light...

I'm better than beagle fur and carcasses...slightly!

OP, there are many guys around NY that are reasonably handy...if there's stuff I can reach without hurting my back too badly, we can talk about that. I'm good with lots of stuff...just not all of it.

What you planning on doing? Maybe we should try to talk you into DIYing?

Mango 08-30-2012 04:54 PM

hahaha ay ay captain! working on it!

bmwnyc81 02-17-2013 08:25 AM

Looking for a bmw mechanic in NY NJ area

I moved to the NJ area recently and need to fix couple of my things in my car. I am only looking for a BMW mechanic or master tech in the area. In the past I used to go to indy shops but they are not that cheap and besides don't do a great job

05_325xi 02-17-2013 08:33 AM

Are you willing to come by jersey city area i just found a great guy man the dealer them selfs couldn't find the problem this dude i dropped my car yesterday at around 3pm and got a call at 11:02pm from him telling me my car is good to go all for $100

bmwnyc81 02-17-2013 08:45 AM

actually I live in Jersey.. could you please pm me about this? thx in advance

05_325xi 02-17-2013 09:09 AM

Im glad i could help heres where i found the dude http://newjersey.craigslist.org/aos/3504251848.html anyone else needs work on their BMW this is the man for the job he only works on BMWs

dmax 02-17-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwnyc81 (Post 15170548)
I moved to the NJ area recently and need to fix couple of my things in my car. I am only looking for a BMW mechanic or master tech in the area. In the past I used to go to indy shops but they are not that cheap and besides don't do a great job

Don't blame all Indy shops because the one's you've been to haven't worked out. It's not easy finding a mechanic that knows stuff, is honest, who cares to do the right thing, and who's cheap.

Find someone you can work with. Some problems are easy to figure out...some not. Sometimes you get lucky with a shop/mechanic, and sometimes the shop itself gets unlucky with a particularly difficult to diagnose issue.

Anyway, there's a shop thread stickied at the top of the regional forum. I go to IMG...an Indy that works on everything from Ferraris to Truck...and lots of bmws. I trust them with my life.

05_325xi 02-17-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 15170611)
Don't blame all Indy shops because the one's you've been to haven't worked out. It's not easy finding a mechanic that knows stuff, is honest, who cares to do the right thing, and who's cheap.

Find someone you can work with. Some problems are easy to figure out...some not. Sometimes you get lucky with a shop/mechanic, and sometimes the shop itself gets unlucky with a particularly difficult to diagnose issue.

Anyway, there's a shop thread stickied at the top of the regional forum. I go to IMG...an Indy that works on everything from Ferraris to Truck...and lots of bmws. I trust them with my life.

Where's this shop you go to if you dont mind me asking is always good to go to have a back up i never been to this guy i just took my car there yesterday and he seems pretty cool and cheap

bmwnyc81 02-17-2013 09:32 AM

yeah that would be really helpful.. please share the info with us if you can... thx

dmax 02-17-2013 10:05 AM

IMG in the regional 'shops' thread. In Union, NJ, 1449 Stuyvesant. 908 688 8118

Ask for Sal and tell him Doug sent you.

Also, if either of you guys writes what work you need done, you might do some searching. There are a lot of things you can do much more easily than you'd think. $100 of tools gets you thousands of dollars in savings over the years. Yet, there are things I probably could figure out, but I don't want to experiment with first time on my car...and other things, just a pitb to do.

Finally, let me say that knowing about your car and its known issues can help you and your mechanic more effectively diagnose things. The better you are at observing and reporting...and searching here...the more likely you'll get good results with more mechs/shops.

Being a mechanic isn't easy at all. It is for the putting parts in part, but not for the 'what part to put in.' There are many issues that are not straightforward...even with codes. Having a relationship with a shop...having them do some stuff like an oil change, even when you could do it yourself...can help you a lot too. Show trust and you'll get trust back.

Also, listen to them. Mechanics often know more about cars than we do! If you go in asking for a price on "X," expect that many shops will give you a price and do the job...even if it's not what you need. Instead, say "I have symptom "X" and am wondering what you think?"

Same thing here...better to solve problems by describing symptoms, rather than writing "I think my CAB is bad."

Okay /rambling mode!

HTH

zan 02-17-2013 10:08 AM

Go to MP MOTORSPORTS at Glendale Queens NY....They're awesome !!! Tell them Zanni sent you !!! phone number is 347-725-4228 address is 7105 64th street Glendale Ny 11385

05_325xi 02-17-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwnyc81 (Post 15170622)
yeah that would be really helpful.. please share the info with us if you can... thx

So did the shop info i gave you match the shop you use to go to please let me know thanks

bmwnyc81 02-17-2013 11:31 AM

no it is a different shop... honestly I was trying to avoid these indy shops (they are not that cheaper and don't do a great work unless you are very lucky to get a good shop)

05_325xi 02-17-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwnyc81 (Post 15170748)
no it is a different shop... honestly I was trying to avoid these indy shops (they are not that cheaper and don't do a great work unless you are very lucky to get a good shop)

Ok so go to Auto couture in fairlawn nj those guys are great but they work by hourly rate is $100 an hour if you dont like that idk what to tell you buddy good work cost money

04yfz 02-17-2013 04:08 PM

What are you looking to have done exactly?

VonGeiss 02-17-2013 10:28 PM

where exactly are you, I could refer you to a great indy near me, they never break the bank and I trust them exclusively with my m3. I DIY almost everything I can, but when I run out of patience, or time, I bring it to them. I never even ask for an estimate because I know they'll do me right. I always get parts at cost, and labor at real time, not book time!

But NJ/NY is kind of a broad area...

mzeed 02-18-2013 06:25 AM

^^^^So where s his place^^^^.

mzeed 02-18-2013 06:27 AM

VonGeiss ^^^^So where s his place^^^^. I find most places will charge about $100/hr +/- $10....even at the dealer on cars 2005 and older (old car discount) and I think its a myth orperhaps a crapshoot whetether you will save with an INDY here in North Jersey.
And that goes with all makes.....after getting quotes on timing belt, water pump/ coolant etc. the Indys were $300 to 500 more than 2 of the 3 dealers I checked on a 2004 V8 Touareg