E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Let's Talk: Heating Blankets for E46 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=971739)

Sweetness 02-18-2013 12:53 PM

Let's Talk: Heating Blankets for E46

Hey guys; after having the cold come back after a week or two of decent weather, I have become inspired and driven to get a heating blanket for the E46. Let me start off by saying a couple things:

1) BMW did make a block heater; but after hours of searching, I'm pretty sure they are discontinued, or are basically non-existent.

2) I don't want a pad that "sticks" inside the oil pan, or on the outside...that seems dangerous for the car at first, and I don't want this thing to be on my car year round.

3)I have become interested in the actual heating blankets that you just drape on top of the engine when you need to, and then plug it in. Close the hood while heating. This seems great. Just take it out, heat it up, remove, and then go on my way.

So what are my options? A quick search netted me a couple blankets from $250 up to $1,000, which is ridiculous. My price range is less than $200...ideally, around $100. Can anyone help out? I'd love to be the test subject and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks.

cposk 02-18-2013 12:56 PM

Hmm seems like a lot of work for little gain. The car is designed to be started in cold weather, just let it warm up or be gentle until it is warm. I think a remote start system would be a better investment. 5-10 minutes before you want to leave, hit the button and she will be warm when you are ready to go.

Sweetness 02-18-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cposk (Post 15173443)
Hmm seems like a lot of work for little gain. The car is designed to be started in cold weather, just let it warm up or be gentle until it is warm. I think a remote start system would be a better investment. 5-10 minutes before you want to leave, hit the button and she will be warm when you are ready to go.

You cannot be more wrong.

There is no work at all. I buy it, it shows up to my door, and when it gets cold, I put on my car and warms engine and all the fluids to normal temp. Starting engine at 5 degrees is not "normal". It's bad for the bearings, and pretty much all the engine components. In a perfect world, engines run in temperatures of 72 degrees outside at all times. And remote start? This isn't a E90 M3. In our cars, they will stall out, if not run rough for at least 5 minutes. It's in the owner's manual to start driving right away after engine ignition.

Sorry man, but that post has zero credibility. This is not a '72 Chevy. A lot of people can back me on this.

lmr2wil 02-18-2013 01:01 PM

Non existent? Maybe not:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-BMW-...3b87b9bb8#shId

Although it is slightly more than your stated budget (after shipping), it's the correct part for the job.

Luke

Sweetness 02-18-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmr2wil (Post 15173463)
Non existent? Maybe not:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-BMW-...3b87b9bb8#shId

Although it is slightly more than your stated budget (after shipping), it's the correct part for the job.

Luke

Those pictures were taken off a DIY post from here at E46Fanatics. So that credibility is shaky as well.

Kubica 02-18-2013 01:03 PM

Op- you live in Pittsburgh, not the Yukon. You don't need this. Use a thinner oil and stop worrying.

cposk 02-18-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetness (Post 15173461)

There is no work at all. I buy it, it shows up to my door, and when it gets cold, I put on my car and warms engine and all the fluids to normal temp. Starting engine at 5 degrees is not "normal". It's bad for the bearings, and pretty much all the engine components. In a perfect world, engines run in temperatures of 72 degrees outside at all times. And remote start? This isn't a E90 M3. In our cars, they will stall out, if not run rough for at least 5 minutes. It's in the owner's manual to start driving right away after engine ignition.

Sorry man, but that post has zero credibility. This is not a '72 Chevy. A lot of people can back me on this.

What I meant was having to put the blanket under there, plug it in, then remove it before starting the car. And I agree that it is not "ideal" to start the car in 5 degrees, it was taken into account when the engine was designed.

And I'm very aware of the car stalling out. I have to keep my foot on the gas to stop my E46 from stalling out at a stop in the morning (but I thought doing the vanos seals would fix it).

lmr2wil 02-18-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetness (Post 15173470)
Those pictures were taken off a DIY post from here at E46Fanatics. So that credibility is shaky as well.

That's true. However, there was this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=17. It may be worth contacting someone to find out if its a scam. In any event, my point is this: if you're going to do this (regardless of whether or not you need to), do it right.

Luke

wildirish317 02-18-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetness (Post 15173470)

So, did you start this thread just so you can flame on people, or are you just having a bad Monday morning?

cposk 02-18-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildirish317 (Post 15173517)
So, did you start this thread just so you can flame on people, or are you just having a bad Monday morning?

I got flamed for thinking remote start would be easier than walking outside in the morning, putting a blanket on my motor, plugging it in, then going back inside, then going back outside, unplugging the blanket, removing the blanket, putting the blanket away, and starting my car. :cry:

Jesse M 02-18-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cposk (Post 15173481)
I have to keep my foot on the gas to stop my E46 from stalling out at a stop in the morning (but I thought doing the vanos seals would fix it).

You have more problems than you're aware of. I'd get that sorted out asap.

cposk 02-18-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse M (Post 15173551)
You have more problems than you're aware of. I'd get that sorted out asap.

Idle that drops and bounces back every 10 seconds or so when motor is cold? I was under the impression that was vanos. But disa, IAC, CCV will be done soon too.

Surrept 02-18-2013 01:27 PM

You live in Pittsburgh. Just let it be. It doesn't get that cold there.

lcoleman 02-18-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetness (Post 15173434)
2) I don't want a pad that "sticks" inside the oil pan, or on the outside...that seems dangerous for the car at first, and I don't want this thing to be on my car year round.

Then don't get one. The blanket idea is silly.

OP starts post asking for opinions, then argues with the ones he gets. <3 this forum.

Surrept 02-18-2013 01:50 PM

I mean you COULD just get a cheapo warming blanket that you would normally sleep under. I would imagine that it will keep the engine a tad bit warmer than without it. Certainly wouldn't cost you 200 bucks.

98bimmer 02-18-2013 01:59 PM

In the cold what i usually do is, turn the key, the vehicle starts and idle for a few moments and then i fly away.

Its colder here in Toronto than where you are. You dont need a block heater or a blanket.

Surrept 02-18-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98bimmer (Post 15173701)
In the cold what i usually do is, turn the key, the vehicle starts and idle for a few moments and then i fly away.

Its colder here in Toronto than where you are. You dont need a block heater or a blanket.

Agreed. It gets subzero here where I'm at in Ohio in the winter sometimes. Tdot is about 5 hours NORTH of where I am and if he doesn't need one, neither do you.

jonesenberg 02-18-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

I put on my car and warms engine and all the fluids to normal temp.

An electric blanket will warm your oil, engine, and coolant to 95C? If not, what's the point? What could possibly warm these three things faster than combustion of gasoline inside the engine with these fluids being pumped through it?

Have you thought about how much power would be required to overcome the thermal inefficiency of warming a blanket, then the layer of air between it and the motor (along with plastic engine cover, etc etc), and finally the block itself? How about the potential fire hazard? An electrical short if you close the hood on it the wrong way and shear the wire?

jmillsner 02-18-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildirish317 (Post 15173517)

hahah seriously! if you dont want the help dont ask!

no but seriously OP, i take my engine out, tuck it into bed at night, then when im ready to set off on a cold Chicago morning, i pop it back in and im on my way!

no, but seriously, not hard feelings, but you dont need some silly blanket, as some have said, use thinner oil and dont drive hard until its warm.. i start my car in below 0 temps often and im fine

Surrept 02-18-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesenberg (Post 15173761)
An electric blanket will warm your oil, engine, and coolant to 95C? If not, what's the point? What could possibly warm these three things faster than combustion of gasoline inside the engine with these fluids being pumped through it?

Have you thought about how much power would be required to overcome the thermal inefficiency of warming a blanket, then the layer of air between it and the motor (along with plastic engine cover, etc etc), and finally the block itself? How about the potential fire hazard? An electrical short if you close the hood on it the wrong way and shear the wire?

People do use warming blankets for their vehicles here in Toledo and they DO work. My GF's car and her brothers truck both have issues starting when its less than 10 degrees F. He uses a warming blanket on his truck and it works great for him. The point is with these cars, you don't frickin need it where hes living.