E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   NY / NJ / CT (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Any points for this ticket? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=971987)

Solidjake 02-19-2013 05:45 PM

Any points for this ticket?

Hey guys, my dad got a ticket last week from NYPD for "improper left turn from right lane" in the city. Does this carry points? I assume because it's a moving violation. For him not to get any points and so insurance won't go up what should be do? Please guilty, pay and get the points then do the defensive drivers course or plead not guilty and keep delaying it? Thanks.

Solidjake 02-19-2013 05:53 PM

Meh, found out it's points. What to do so it doesn't go on record?

tootall 02-19-2013 06:26 PM

I've always tried to show up and face the prosecutor and cop at the time and date stated on the ticket. You usually can negotiate and get something reduced, either the charge or the fine or both. In case points cannot be avoided, taking the NY Safe Driving Course through AAA will knock some points off if the course has not already been taken in the last 3 years. Also, is your dad a NY resident? If not, some states do not assess points for out of state tickets, like NY does not for ticket happy NJ. Still, I'd show up and get something reduced to avoid the insurance company from finding out about it.

tks 02-19-2013 06:32 PM

Keep stalling until officer retires so proof is removed and dismissed.

Big Rick 02-19-2013 06:33 PM

Jake... My Mom got a speeding ticket a little over a year ago. She was worried about the points too. She asked if she could go to a school to keep the points off and they allowed her to. I think it was a few hours and around $70 for the class.

limpiabota809 02-19-2013 06:40 PM

Tell him to take the idrivesafely class it's 35$ if you do it online and they credit you 4 points and insurance goes down as well

Yeaa Rightttt 02-19-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootall (Post 15178201)
I've always tried to show up and face the prosecutor and cop at the time and date stated on the ticket. You usually can negotiate and get something reduced, either the charge or the fine or both. In case points cannot be avoided, taking the NY Safe Driving Course through AAA will knock some points off if the course has not already been taken in the last 3 years. Also, is your dad a NY resident? If not, some states do not assess points for out of state tickets, like NY does not for ticket happy NJ. Still, I'd show up and get something reduced to avoid the insurance company from finding out about it.

Don't know who told you that, but that's completely incorrect.... NY and NJ are considered "sister states" and any points, suspensions, revocations etc etc carry from state to state. Back on topic if you contest the ticket and show up to court usually they will offer you a hefty monetary fine carrying no points or a much lesser fine with points and insurance notifications...
So either pay your insurance company or pay Uncle Sam
Pick your poison

pawelgawel 02-19-2013 06:45 PM

i can't believe the difference in insurance between CAN and US. No matter if i get points or not, a moving violation goes on the record for 3 years and insurance gets effected. even 5mph over will get you a ticket of $50 and 0 points, but insurance looks at that as if you were 30mph over and 4 points...

Insurance, biggest fraud in the world.

Jake just fight the ticket, delay it 2x or just call an xcopper that deals with traffic tickets.. they get **** done under the table with the issuing cop most of the time.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

123Shift 02-19-2013 11:02 PM

Showing up will almost always get a reduction over sending it in by mail.

S85FTW 02-19-2013 11:59 PM

Fight every ticket you get. Yes it sucks to miss work but honestly the cost of missing a days work doesn't outweigh paying higher insurance premiums for three years on top of paying said fine in question. I have had three citations in the past five years and none of them are on my record nor reported to insurance. I went and fought all three and had to either pay an alternative fine(ie parking ticket or handicapped parking fine) or make a charitable donation to the court for the amount of the fine.

bobm3 02-20-2013 06:38 PM

i got one of those tickets last year

i got a traffic layer and he talk it down for no points but it cost me 500.00
but i had to go to jersey where they have to go changes the price of their fee.. that lawer i got came from coney island in bklyn.... i would tell you to call his office and see what he says to you... it will be worth it to you trust me.... he talk down the ticket to no points but i had to pay a fine here is his information

jeffery ziff
2875 west 8 st 1 fl
1718 265 2211

good luck bob :woot::woot:

tootall 02-20-2013 07:08 PM

If you want to consider a lawyer, try long time NY chapter BMWCCA advertiser and supporter, Casey W. Raskob III, 914-271-5383, www.speedlaw.net, info@speedlaw.net. He is a member of this forum and owns and drives E46 330i.

Japanrot_325i 02-20-2013 07:22 PM

Points don't transfer around here I got an 82 in a sixty two weeks after I bought my car. lucky I was in md and I live wv. But your best bet is going in and talking to the judge usually they'll work something out. Especially if you don't have in prior offenses.

morraz3 02-20-2013 10:28 PM

Jake get a lawyer so he can knock it down to something minor, that if he has juice or knows people, because that alone in the city is a pita to accomplish even for lawyers. If he does, prepare your father to pay a big chunk of change, as some of the members have mention the medium is usually $500.00 fine (not including lawyer fee). And yes, this type of violation carries points. 4 Hour course will help ease his pain and his wallet...I should know I have been through this ordeal several times already smh. If this ticket was issued outside the city in surrounding county's/towns (i.e. New Burgh) you yourself have an option to speak to the prosecutor and work out a deal, like I have in the past, but here in the city, good luck going at this alone..Hope everything works out..