E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Sequential and Automated reversed? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=972323)

benjamcm3 02-21-2013 12:45 PM

Sequential and Automated reversed?

I am about to buy a 2002 BWM m3 with SMG from a friend. I've been test driving it for a couple days, he explained the S as being automated and A for manual shifting.
But when I looked in the manual, S (sequential) is supposed to be when you manually shift. A is for automatic shifting. So why are they reversed on this vehicle? Is this a deal breaker? The car runs great and has low mileage (39K).
Again S mode does all the shifting on this vehicle, and A lets you do the shifting.
Is there a way to fix this?

scca_ziptie 02-21-2013 02:02 PM

He is more than likely mistaken. The display can be misleading on the car, when in "s" mode you are shifting the car (although it will downshift automatically if you are coming to a stop and don't do it yourself) - when in "a" mode (called "d" in post 2004 cars) the car will shift up and down automatically. At any point in time you can choose to make a shift with the paddles or smg actuator and it will change to "s" mode.

choxor 02-21-2013 02:07 PM

Yes, the display is counter-intuitive.

benjamcm3 02-21-2013 02:14 PM

Nope, when it reads "S" it does all the shifting like driving an automatic transmission. When it's in "A" it's like a manual, and allows me to do most shifting unless it takes over prior to stalling or overspeed. Its definitely reversed. I'm just curious if it's an easy fix or necessary to fix it. Guess I'll call BMW about this.

scca_ziptie 02-21-2013 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you sure you are reading the cluster correctly? Like I said it can be slightly confusing..

The image attached was taken from my 06, and it shows "D" on the cluster but that if you look at the display it is saying if you depress the SMG selector to the right you will be in "D" mode as it is currently in "S" mode when the picture was taken. The only difference will be that the car you are currently looking at will have an "A" rather than the "D"

Hope that straightened things out for you. :thumbsup:

It's not actually possible to be "reversed"

benjamcm3 02-21-2013 02:41 PM

I'll upload some pics in a hour or so. Thanks for the replies so far!

choxor 02-21-2013 02:50 PM

You're reading the display wrong.

scca_ziptie 02-21-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 15184401)
You're reading the display wrong.

+1 - not intended to be mean, it is just confusing to read. They certainly improved the display with the E92

benjamcm3 02-21-2013 04:02 PM

Got it! It was just explained to me wrong on the test drive. So, the display show what mode you WILL go into if lever is pushed to the far right....It does NOT display the CURRENT mode of operation. I'm just glad nothing is wrong! Thanks guys! Now, My people need me I must Goooooooo! >:O

choxor 02-21-2013 04:14 PM

Yup, it's retarded and backasswards. I made the same mistake first time I drove an SMG. I was pulling out into heavy traffic and didn't want to fart around with figuring out the SMG until I got to somewhere less populated. Was wondering why I was sitting at 6k in first and it wouldn't shift.

benjamcm3 02-21-2013 05:08 PM

I have renamed them since they are assbackwards...
As showing on display:

S is "Sissy mode" :(

A is "Asshole mode" :excited:

3magine 02-24-2013 02:06 PM

The display reads fine. When you're in S (Sequential) A will be shown on the cluster, to the right of the gear you're in, meaning when you move the gear to the right, it will go into Automatic. Likewise when in Auto it will show an S to the right of the gear, meaning if you push the lever to the right, it will go back into S. The symbol in the cluster shows what will happen when you press the shifter to the right, NOT what mode you're currently in.

illestminimike 02-24-2013 07:11 PM

Who cares? Just use launch control and fvck b1tches.

benjamcm3 02-24-2013 11:19 PM

Feel free to delete this thread mods. I got it. lol

choxor 02-25-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamcm3 (Post 15193668)
Feel free to delete this thread mods. I got it. lol

Naa, it's good info.

wannasupra 03-02-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illestminimike (Post 15193005)
Who cares? Just use launch control and fvck b1tches.

i feel like this should be sig material for the op.

sleeks 03-02-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamcm3 (Post 15184258)
Nope, when it reads "S" it does all the shifting like driving an automatic transmission. When it's in "A" it's like a manual, and allows me to do most shifting unless it takes over prior to stalling or overspeed. Its definitely reversed. I'm just curious if it's an easy fix or necessary to fix it. Guess I'll call BMW about this.

In manual mode, it will not upshift for "overspeed" as you call it. In manual mode it will only downshift for you to avoid a stall. It will never upshift for you. Just wanted to make sure you understood that. Good luck and welcome if you decide to purchase it.

McGary911 03-03-2013 04:28 PM

I read it the same way on my first test drive. Glad it's not just me.