E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rear Differential bushing MOUNT broke... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=972459)

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 12:36 AM

Rear Differential bushing MOUNT broke...

4 Attachment(s)
I have no idea how this is possible.. Maybe too much power? Its a 325ci with 330 swap and Trans with headers intake, uuc tse3 , and AA tune. I'm going to fix it in the morning and gusset the mount so it won't ever happen again.. I'm just at a total loss on this one. Any one else have/seen this happen?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Mango 02-22-2013 12:42 AM

That diff doesn't look normal. what kind of diff/diff cover is that? and whats up with the control arms? seems like you have a lot of stiffening mods done. didn't something else unusual in your car break? tranny or something??

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15186170)
That diff doesn't look normal. what kind of diff/diff cover is that? and whats up with the control arms? seems like you have a lot of stiffening mods done. didn't something else unusual in your car break? tranny or something??

That's factory as far as I know, I never changed that and the control arms are from bav auto, eibach sells them under there name buy made by another company can't remember the name starts with a S, an is a 3 letter acronym. And ya the Trans broke but it was a getrag now I have a ZF. And ya it its way stiff but I would think my subframe mounting locations would crack first, but they are solid no cracks. I have a reinforcement kit I was waiting to put on when i do a M3 rear end swap but I guess I will do it now. Still don't know how that mount would break. Its kind of an awkward spot don't you think?

Mango 02-22-2013 12:52 AM

indeed it is awkward. you sure everything is installed correctly? were you drop clutch launching when this happened?

you planning on welding it back?

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15186194)
indeed it is awkward. you sure everything is installed correctly? were you drop clutch launching when this happened?

you planning on welding it back?

Ya everything is installed correctly I checked and double checked. And no launch. At first I thought it was I needed new bushing cause they were ripped so I ordered thos, then I noticed the clunking got worse so I inspected again I saw that it was resting on my sway bar but it wasn't doing that before. So I don't know when it happened. Have you ever seen anything like this before?

Mango 02-22-2013 01:03 AM

never. first time. maybe just a freak incident. theres people running superchargers. i wonder if the m3 subframe is beefed up for the extra power? yours should have never cracked in the first place but your car seems to like to break stuff

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15186215)
never. first time. maybe just a freak incident. theres people running superchargers. i wonder if the m3 subframe is beefed up for the extra power? yours should have never cracked in the first place but your car seems to like to break stuff

Ya it does like to break stuff...allot lol. And I was wondering the same thing. Oh and ya I do plan on welding it back after I drop the subframe and remove diff, I'm going to push it back clamp it grind to fresh metal and weld and then gusset the top and bottom of it so its connected to the top of the mount as well making it more ridged and less likely to flex and break again, I'll post picks of the fix and welding and the gussets I plan on making. I already have it drawn up... I figured out my new license plate... ANGUISH.... cause that's all my car causes me when it breaks... Which its to often... But hey at least this is the last thing that could go wrong...besides the diff grenading. but if that happens me and my car are going to have a nice long talk..

MJLavelle 02-22-2013 01:16 AM

When you swapped out the transmissions, did you have any trouble installing the driveshaft? Did you have to force it into place, or anything like that? Are the driveshafts all the same length, regardless of transmission? I honestly am not sure about that particular detail. It certainly looks like something was pressing the rear end towards the back of the car.
I really don't think it was from the added power from a M54B30 swap, even with an AA tune.
This is a strange thing to break. But something was clearly under stress in there.

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJLavelle (Post 15186243)
When you swapped out the transmissions, did you have any trouble installing the driveshaft? Did you have to force it into place, or anything like that? Are the driveshafts all the same length, regardless of transmission? I honestly am not sure about that particular detail. It certainly looks like something was pressing the rear end towards the back of the car.
I really don't think it was from the added power from a M54B30 swap, even with an AA tune.
This is a strange thing to break. But something was clearly under stress in there.

No issue at all during install. People said I might need a new one but I didn't it fit perfectly. I had to shorten the drive shaft a little by loosening the collar nut near the center bearing and pushing it in. But after that it fit perfectly. So I don't know where the stress came from

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 02:39 AM

I think this failure belongs in the wall of shame and wall of things that should not break, break or something to that effect... I love my car I love my car I love my car....I love my...nope I pretty much want a divorce...

Andy2108 02-22-2013 03:17 AM

Yeah man that's a pretty crazy break. I guess its a good thing that you have the know how to fix it. Might as well do that M3 rear end conversion right now. You're going to be in there anyway. I wouldn't drive it at all, especially if its resting on the rear sway bar. It turns out the mount for that sway bar isn't all that strong either. ask me how I know :facepalm:

http://i.imgur.com/JsauZm.jpg

^That's my M3.

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy2108 (Post 15186475)
Yeah man that's a pretty crazy break. I guess its a good thing that you have the know how to fix it. Might as well do that M3 rear end conversion right now. You're going to be in there anyway. I wouldn't drive it at all, especially if its resting on the rear sway bar. It turns out the mount for that sway bar isn't all that strong either. ask me how I know :facepalm:

http://i.imgur.com/JsauZm.jpg

^That's my M3.

Oh sh/t! Ya its parked I'm going to fix it tomorrow... And ya I would but I need my car running I'm going to look for a M3 rear end aka whole assembly. But then I would have to get a custom made drive shaft if I don't do a 6 speed swap. So I think I can wait. but ya gnarly isn't it? I'm quite proud of my self for being the first person to break this... Then again also wondering why? what caused it? And why me? Lol

Andy2108 02-22-2013 03:31 AM

Same story with me and that sway bar mount. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen at the track... it just started clucking one day while driving around normally on the street.

Alex323Ci 02-22-2013 03:43 AM

No I haven't seen that before. But can see that happening if it was fractured earlier in its life when someone replaced that rear diff bushing. if someone was hammering on the bushing to press in or off I can see it cracking in its lifetime.

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy2108 (Post 15186493)
Same story with me and that sway bar mount. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen at the track... it just started clucking one day while driving around normally on the street.

Same here! I have bad bushings so it cluncked lightly and then just during driving it got really loud. So I looked underneath it's split in half

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci (Post 15186509)
No I haven't seen that before. But can see that happening if it was fractured earlier in its life when someone replaced that rear diff bushing. if someone was hammering on the bushing to press in or off I can see it cracking in its lifetime.

Maybe but I frequent the track regularly over the past 3 years so I'm pretty sure it would have broken then and not all of the sudden while driving home from a concert tonight. And as far as I can tell those are the originals I've personally never replaced then cause they weren't bad till now

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 01:10 PM

Anyone else seen anything like this ?

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 06:02 PM

Didn't have time to pull subframe out but I have time to inspect more and saw that the bottom of the mount was also cracking ...

dreamdrivedrift 02-22-2013 09:00 PM

That is appalling...and I have not heard of it. Thanks for sharing

325CiMaN 02-22-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift (Post 15188979)
That is appalling...and I have not heard of it. Thanks for sharing

Ya interesting right?

325CiMaN 02-23-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15186170)

Oh mango I found who makes the rear lower control arms it's SPC