E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NEW members may want to read this (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=972816)

redfeathers 02-24-2013 10:20 AM

NEW members may want to read this

Long story short, bought 01 330 ci....basket case, looked good and in good shape but needed help. Everytime the seller opened
their mouth they was lying. Paid $6300, took it home, drove it and would not idle with faults, 0/2 sensors and misfires Lots of
oil under the intake. Bought "BENTLEYS" manual and "PEAKE" reader $250 appr. Removed intake and all associated
components. Cleaned all "CARBON" build up and replaced "ALL" rubber hose $40, both throttle body "DUCTS" $50, rebuild
"DISA" $47, fuel filter and hoses$70, intake and throttle body seals$60, all o/2 "SENSORS" $265, drivers side steering boot$25, cleaned
spark plugs (light healthly brown/dry), all this and maybe more. Now have maybe $7200 in car.
Starts and runs perfect. Should last for 5 to 10 years.
Thanks for those who had input.
MAY HAVE A FRONT "MAIN" OIL SEAL LEAK, too early to tell but I think I still see some dripping, will research.
Bottom line these "PLASTIC" and "RUBBER" components will not last that long....have seen this in the past.:thumbup:

Mango 02-24-2013 10:22 AM

I am not sure what your post is saying

HiHoBrian 02-24-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15192119)
I am not sure what your post is saying

I think he is showing gratitude towards the helpful side of the Fanatics community by listing his successful accomplishments that were achived with Your and others guidance. It's rare for someone to say thanks now a days,so soak it up while you can! Great Job OP!

sent from my ATARI sc1224

redfeathers 02-24-2013 10:30 AM

Basically, new owners should assume they will be changing all the rubber components if it's high miles and will most likely have carbon build up that will need to be cleaned. I don't know how I could have cleaned mine without removing the intake.
High miles means work to be done.
Don't trust the sellers for what they say.

redfeathers 02-24-2013 10:33 AM

You r correct, HIHO.
But new buyers/members should know what I just went thru.
thanks

college46 02-24-2013 10:40 AM

Well most rubber parts are going to be with any 12 year old car. My 26 year old Mercedes had more durable rubber boots, hoses, etc because they weren't made with the EPA in mind, the new environmental rubber boots don't hold up the same. Especially in Arizona where the desert sun just bakes all the rubber parts to death. Just my .02. This website is great. Thanks to all who contribute.

auto180sx 02-24-2013 10:53 AM

I had a hard time reading that, but you are right that people should expect to put some money into their 7-12 year old BMW when buying it. Glad to hear the cars running well though!

rudycoop 02-24-2013 12:57 PM

Too many people spend every last dollar they have on an older car and then get mad when they have no money to fix things. Everything you did is great and will make the car run awesome for years to come. New members should read before they buy and see if they can handle the maintenance on these beasts.

Alex323Ci 02-24-2013 01:15 PM

Yes if you buy a used car know the history and look at receipts or you may be in for some fixes.

If you buy your car from a non enthusiast you're looking for trouble at 150K plus miles. If you buy from an enthusiast you likely won't need nearly as much. Enthusiast keep records and receipts. I gave the next owner of my baby a folder of receipts as well as the original window sticker.

dmax 02-24-2013 01:20 PM

You think you're going to paint your tires? If so, Alex can help with that...he's helped me a lot figure out how to get it looking sharp.

Mango did his tires green too...works on mine...not on his at all.

Nerdy46 02-24-2013 01:20 PM

Pretty much, i knew what i was getting in to... LOL any used car you are going to have to bring up to speed. People are selling them for a reason.... I probably put $1XXX in to my $3000 car as soon as i bought it.

dknightd 02-24-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfeathers (Post 15192115)
Starts and runs perfect. Should last for 5 to 10 years.
Thanks for those who had input.

Don't hold your breath. likely there will be more things to replace

Cpconst 02-24-2013 01:24 PM

I bought an 04 330 ci last month with 134,000 miles and had no idea of previous maintence. (Paid $6100). I assumed it needed a lot so I researched and found Mango's thread. Awesome list of to do items for high mileage e46's so here's what I've done in the last month:

Front and rear rotors and pads
Front control arms and related bushings
Coil over set-up
Valve cover gasket
NGK plugs
Water pump, pulleys, belts and hoses,
Thermostats ( main and auto tranny)
Radiator had a Behr sticker from May of 2012
Tensioner
Expansion tank and bracket
Windshield washer pump
Refinished four wheels (curbage)
Re-wrapped A and C pillars
Oil and filter
Coolant flush
Brake fluid flush
Sent out rear view mirror and had it repaired by sybesma's electronics

Still need to fix sunroof shade and probably replace motor cause its not working.
Power steering pump took a dump yesterday so I just ordered one.
Debating on a tranny flush.

All in all its been a fun project for my son and myself. I bought the car knowing it was going to need a little work so nothing has been a surprise to me. I also have the comfort of knowing I have the resources of E46 Fanatics with people's experiences and knowledge of already tackling anything that I will have to face in the future. Thank God parts are easy to find and most are cheaper than those for Toyota and Honda. People that go out and buy a high mileage e46 shouldn't expect they will be able to just fill up and drive without doing some preventative maintence. I do have to say that having a two post lift makes everything just a little bit easier. :thumbup:

dmax 02-24-2013 01:31 PM

You don't mean that you actually did stuff that Mango said, did you? I didn't check your list but assumed everyone could just immediately tell that he was totally kidding...like about everything. He's a phenomenal talent alright, but I'm sorry, I figured everyone kind of knew. Otherwise I would have said something.

Like his 'replace WP bolts'--that's so cute, you have to see that, right?

:lmao:

JK Mango!

Cpconst 02-24-2013 01:39 PM

It's Dr. mango as far as I'm concerned!

Russian172 02-24-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci (Post 15192397)
Yes if you buy a used car know the history and look at receipts or you may be in for some fixes.

If you buy your car from a non enthusiast you're looking for trouble at 150K plus miles. If you buy from an enthusiast you likely won't need nearly as much. Enthusiast keep records and receipts. I gave the next owner of my baby a folder of receipts as well as the original window sticker.

I'm an enthusiast but never kept receipts some how

I've reaced most things that fail/go bad or wear and tear
CA and bushings
Radiator and the upper hose and the ET
Belt and the tensioner
Rear springs, Axles and bearings soon will replace the trailing arms
Plugs have been changed out 3 times already with a 70k miles of ownership

Does not have to be an enthusiast just some one that realizes that car parts wear out and needs replacement
Hell we have a Toyota and that car isn't maintenance free either like some people brag about that it only needs oil changes lol

dmax 02-24-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpconst (Post 15192476)
It's Dr. mango as far as I'm concerned!

If you persist, he'll get Fanaticitis worse than he's had it before. It killed kpeng; you see what it's done to me; there are few left...you need to be strong...for them.

cak323i 02-24-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 15192403)
You think you're going to paint your tires? If so, Alex can help with that...he's helped me a lot figure out how to get it looking sharp.

Mango did his tires green too...works on mine...not on his at all.

Amazing what photoshop can do for your tires huh Doug :lmao:

OP, good post and glad everything has worked out for you! :thumbup:

92bmw525i 02-24-2013 03:40 PM

Normal items

Seems to me you replaced all the normal things I see these cars need. Best advise I can give to others would be have a BMW guy not just a shade tree do a check over before buying.
Sounds like you should have a good car,... enjoy it:thumbsup: