E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   steel wool will take scratches out of your windshield (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=973296)

glhx 02-26-2013 08:26 PM

steel wool will take scratches out of your windshield

When I bought my car it had the wrong windshield wipers on it. I had no idea they were wrong for the car. I then went to napa to replace them and they set me up with some expensive brand. They lasted for 3 months and started vibrating while on vacation. Before I had a chance to change them one of them fell off. I finally found out that they were wrong as well and the only place I could get them on short notice was the dealer. They cost $70 and are supposed to be Bosch icons. So far they are amazing.

When it flew off......the arm scratched my windshield. Deep scratch

STEEL WOOL TOOK OUT THE SCRATCH. It also polished my windshield.

I have done this before on other cars. Works every time. It doesn't scratch the windshield.

I find very few people......even older people don't know about this. Now you know

XKxRome0ox 02-26-2013 08:28 PM

You have structurally weakened your windshield by taking steel wool to it
When you have road debris hit the window or if you have a major collision, your windshield will no longer hold itself together and you will die a horrible death when it shatters into dozens of sharp pieces

[bimmerapp]

greenskycity 02-26-2013 08:50 PM

I'm in for an answer as well. I've got a windshield with minute nicks and scratches and all the wipers I've tried chatter. On my driver side, you can see an outline that the wiper has made over time. Its not an original BMW windshield so I was contemplating swapping it out. Right now I'm using Rain-X to stop the chattering but I hate that stuff in anything but a full rainstorm.
If anyone else has taken steel wool to their windshield, I'd like to hear it, I find it hard to imagine it would work. After all, a windshield is just a piece of glass sandwiched between two pieces of plastic. I'm hoping the guy above me was just trying to be funny and didn't actually believe the windshield is now going to implode.
Green

Zell 02-26-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox (Post 15200057)
When you have road debris hit the window or if you have a major collision, your windshield will no longer hold itself together and you will die a horrible death when it shatters into dozens of sharp pieces

[bimmerapp]

I don't know about this, it's such a minute amount he's taken off that I don't think it matters. I've seen lots of detailing companies suggest using 0000 steel wool to polish your windshield to reduce scratches.

HallisterJ1 02-26-2013 08:58 PM

If you can afford 0000 steel wool that is even better. Do not press hard, but just enough pressure to remove the spots, etc.

TIP: Keep running water on the surface your cleaning always to avoid any potential "scratches".

jdstrickland 02-26-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox (Post 15200057)

[bimmerapp]

Windshields are made of tempered glass, and there are two layers of glass with plastic goo inbetween the sheets of glass to hold the glass together. If the glass does come apart, the tempered glass turns to small balls that have almost no capability to do harm. There are NO sharp pieces of glass. You are far more likely to cut your hand when brushing the balls of glass out of your hair than to be cut by flying glass.

Mango 02-26-2013 10:27 PM

i'm pretty sure he was trolling you guys about the weakening thing.

would this steel wool thing be good for polishing fog lights? i have a pair of 7/10 ZKW fogs i want to polish out. has nicks.. i suspect i'd need something more abrasive like that polishing powder (cerium?)

Solidjake 02-26-2013 10:29 PM

^ Worth a shot.

A very good detailer in my area does use steel wool for glass.

Mango 02-26-2013 10:30 PM

any particular steel wool grade/kind? or just buy grocery store ones?? i've actually never heard of this!

Solidjake 02-26-2013 10:36 PM

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...iga+steel+wool

Mango 02-26-2013 10:38 PM

excellent. i assume its only sold in detailing stores.

Solidjake 02-26-2013 10:39 PM

No idea.

scim459 02-26-2013 10:43 PM

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...00%2Caps%2C192

i may just try this

oldspimp 02-26-2013 10:48 PM

Just use buffing compound, using steel wool is just primitive on BMW

Zell 02-26-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Mango (Post 15200418)
i'm pretty sure he was trolling you guys about the weakening thing.

would this steel wool thing be good for polishing fog lights? i have a pair of 7/10 ZKW fogs i want to polish out. has nicks.. i suspect i'd need something more abrasive like that polishing powder (cerium?)

Best way to do this with glass lenses is by putting a few clear coats on the lens, and then polishing it like you would restore a headlight lens. It works very effectively. Slap laminex on it and it'll be good for quite some time.

C4RLOS 02-26-2013 11:00 PM

Steel wool also works great to remove deep scratches from your paint. No joke, try it out! :popcorn:

cityjohn 02-26-2013 11:14 PM

http://twilightscapes.com/forums/challenger-001.jpg

jonesenberg 02-27-2013 02:48 AM

OP: I'd edit the initial post to indicate what grade of steel wool you're talking about. Folks may get the wrong idea and use 00 or something.

Bimmer4Lyfe 02-27-2013 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdstrickland (Post 15200148)
Windshields are made of tempered glass, and there are two layers of glass with plastic goo inbetween the sheets of glass to hold the glass together. If the glass does come apart, the tempered glass turns to small balls that have almost no capability to do harm. There are NO sharp pieces of glass. You are far more likely to cut your hand when brushing the balls of glass out of your hair than to be cut by flying glass.

No....

That's laminated glass

Tempered does break into beads but that is because it is heat treated, thus the word: tempered, then is quick cool quenched with air creating compression
(Strength) in the glass.

And yes 0000 steel wool is fine on glass if kept lubricated.... It also does wonders on rusty chrome,... Not that any of us have chrome on our cars.

Andy2108 02-27-2013 03:32 AM

que interesante. I shall try this on my badly chipped windshield before replacing it this spring.