E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   ZHP Suspension Refresh Options (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=973895)

Whammy 03-02-2013 10:39 AM

ZHP Suspension Refresh Options

All,

My '03 ZHP has 130k miles on what I believe is the original suspension. The ride quality is still fairly good however I need to start planning on refreshing the suspension.

In my 325i, I rolled in a PSS9 kit. For this car, I do not want a coilover kit. I want to preserve the car as long as I can. Putting additional stress on the subframe is not an option for me.

With that said, what are my options? I have been doing some research on this and I had a few options:
  • H&R Cupkit
  • Bilstein Shocks w/H&R Springs (Not sure if Race or Sport)
  • Something else?

I would prefer to stay with either Bilstein or H&R due to reputation. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

jlav211 03-04-2013 04:33 PM

Not much help to you, but I am wondering the same thing. My ZHP has been fantastic handling-wise, but the original kit is apparently MIA. Any advice on what would be a near-identical replacement handling and ride-quality wise is appreciated. I've been leaning towards the Cup Kit myself.

jdny516 03-08-2013 08:08 AM

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=932561

jlav211 03-08-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdny516 (Post 15231228)

Wow. That's perfect. I had been under the impression you couldn't even buy the ZHP components separately. Relieved!

Thank you,

Jeff

jdny516 03-08-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlav211 (Post 15231292)
Wow. That's perfect. I had been under the impression you couldn't even buy the ZHP components separately. Relieved!

Thank you,

Jeff

Dont thank me, thank Mango :thumbup:

TT330i 03-08-2013 12:54 PM

why would coilovers be any worse than lowering springs?

Mango 03-08-2013 12:58 PM

The same thing as any other E46 ZHP or not! Unless you want to go stock again then just purchase the same parts as your car came with. it is debated that the sports package 330 and ZHP both use same springs and dampers. I am not 100% sure. if you are going aftermarket, none of that matters.

http://c1521972.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/...0047_large.jpg

Whammy 03-11-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdny516 (Post 15231228)

Already priced this out via bmwpartstore.com In comparing against the H&R/Bilstein Sport kit from Turner, I come in less than what bmwpartstore quoted me (about $200-300) and that is including a few things they did not include (front/rear reinforcement plates, diff bushings and new rtabs & limiters). I love dealing with them, however BMW's cost is higher than what I can find aftermarket. I guess I could save money and not get springs, but would hate do have them break and have to replace later.

Not sure what to do. I am hoping when I am ready to order I can see if Turner will cut a deal considering I am spending a chunk of money. Who knows...

E46Snowball 03-15-2013 06:05 AM

Would coilovers have any affect on the subframe? I've never heard of a subframe failure on a 330i Zhp package...

Whammy 03-15-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Snowball (Post 15252561)
Would coilovers have any affect on the subframe? I've never heard of a subframe failure on a 330i Zhp package...

Coilovers have the potential to be harsher on the car because you have the ability have the car at a lower stance. The lower the stance, the more stress is being put on the all aspects of the car (frame/subframe, wheel bearings, differential, etc.). I do not need my car that low (my old 325i had a PSS9 kit), so I cannot justify the extra expense (>$400) for coilovers.

I also have not heard of any subframe issues with the facelifted (02-06) BMWs. However, I do not want to be the first to find out.

FamilyTruckster 03-21-2013 04:20 PM

Whammy, I would highly recommend Eibach Sportline spings with Koni Yellow adjustables (I think they are on sale right now too). I have had that setup on my '05 ZHP for about 30k miles and love it. Rides just a tiny bit stiffer than a stock ZHP, while lowering it the perfect amount. We've spoken before when you were buying your ZHP, I'm local to you and if you haven't done your suspension yet you are welcome to go for a ride/drive in my ZHP to see what you think of the setup. I should have my car out of winter storage anytime now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whammy (Post 15211935)
All,

My '03 ZHP has 130k miles on what I believe is the original suspension. The ride quality is still fairly good however I need to start planning on refreshing the suspension.

In my 325i, I rolled in a PSS9 kit. For this car, I do not want a coilover kit. I want to preserve the car as long as I can. Putting additional stress on the subframe is not an option for me.

With that said, what are my options? I have been doing some research on this and I had a few options:
  • H&R Cupkit
  • Bilstein Shocks w/H&R Springs (Not sure if Race or Sport)
  • Something else?

I would prefer to stay with either Bilstein or H&R due to reputation. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

///BeckeR 03-21-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster (Post 15272452)
Whammy, I would highly recommend Eibach Sportline spings with Koni Yellow adjustables (I think they are on sale right now too). I have had that setup on my '05 ZHP for about 30k miles and love it. Rides just a tiny bit stiffer than a stock ZHP, while lowering it the perfect amount.

I have the same setup and I agree, I love it! However, the Sportlines are pretty low, and the rake is pretty significant. I removed my rear spring pads to even out the height and the stance is perfect now.

I would recommend going with the Eibach Pro Kit instead of the Sportlines if you're not going for an aggressive drop! You can't go wrong with the Koni Yellows either. Awesome shocks.

Whammy 03-22-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamilyTruckster (Post 15272452)
Whammy, I would highly recommend Eibach Sportline spings with Koni Yellow adjustables (I think they are on sale right now too). I have had that setup on my '05 ZHP for about 30k miles and love it. Rides just a tiny bit stiffer than a stock ZHP, while lowering it the perfect amount. We've spoken before when you were buying your ZHP, I'm local to you and if you haven't done your suspension yet you are welcome to go for a ride/drive in my ZHP to see what you think of the setup. I should have my car out of winter storage anytime now.

Yeah, that would be great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///BeckeR (Post 15272506)
I have the same setup and I agree, I love it! However, the Sportlines are pretty low, and the rake is pretty significant. I removed my rear spring pads to even out the height and the stance is perfect now.

I would recommend going with the Eibach Pro Kit instead of the Sportlines if you're not going for an aggressive drop! You can't go wrong with the Koni Yellows either. Awesome shocks.

Thank you both for your input. This is what I was thinking of at the moment. It still could change as I have not bought anything yet.

H&R + Bilstein Sport Kit
E46 Mount Kit (Front/Rear Shock Mounts, Reinforcement Plates, Pads)
Meyle HD Rear Diff Bushings w/ bolts
Meyle HD RTABs
RTAB Limiters
Tie Rods (maybe; not sure)
Swaybar bushings
Subframe Bushings

Almost all of this comes from Turner. At this point, it is about $1400. I cannot justify OEM because just the springs/shocks/struts alone is the same price without anything else.

Thoughts?

Whammy 05-12-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whammy (Post 15274263)
Yeah, that would be great!

Thank you both for your input. This is what I was thinking of at the moment. It still could change as I have not bought anything yet.

H&R + Bilstein Sport Kit
E46 Mount Kit (Front/Rear Shock Mounts, Reinforcement Plates, Pads)
Meyle HD Rear Diff Bushings w/ bolts
Meyle HD RTABs
RTAB Limiters
Tie Rods (maybe; not sure)
Swaybar bushings
Subframe Bushings

Almost all of this comes from Turner. At this point, it is about $1400. I cannot justify OEM because just the springs/shocks/struts alone is the same price without anything else.

Thoughts?

Well, today I placed the order with Turner. Suspension will go on in early June when a friend is ready to help.

Whammy 06-24-2013 03:37 PM

I wanted to give everyone a little update post purchase. The old suspension and tie-rods came out pretty easily. New parts were subsequently reinstalled. Unfortunately, we did not get to any of the bushing work and saved that for another day.

When going for an alignment, the alignment shop could not get my car aligned. Front Adjustable camber plates and rear adjustable camber arms are needed to get the car into alignment. I am really shocked this is happening. It has certainly increased my budget for this project.

Dave1027 06-25-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whammy (Post 15524314)
When going for an alignment, the alignment shop could not get my car aligned. Front Adjustable camber plates and rear adjustable camber arms are needed to get the car into alignment. I am really shocked this is happening. It has certainly increased my budget for this project.

That does not sound right. I think you better get a second opinion on that.

Edit: I just notice you have H&R springs installed. Did you slam it?

Whammy 06-25-2013 03:52 PM

Nope. H&R sport springs.

Minnoe07 06-25-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whammy (Post 15524314)

This should not be too much of an issue for a shop that knows what they are doing. Front is adjustable and you should be able to get it within spec or very close and rear is adjustable enough to get back into spec.

Definitely take it some place where they know what they are doing.

yousharenow 06-25-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango (Post 15231963)
The same thing as any other E46 ZHP or not! Unless you want to go stock again then just purchase the same parts as your car came with. it is debated that the sports package 330 and ZHP both use same springs and dampers. I am not 100% sure. if you are going aftermarket, none of that matters.

http://c1521972.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/...0047_large.jpg

Where the hell can I buy this kit? Seems like as long as I am doing the LCAB's, I might as well do the control arms, shocks/struts/sway bar as well, no?