E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Photography (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Best photo camera with lense for beginer (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=973901)

978wagonit 03-02-2013 11:11 AM

Best photo camera with lense for beginer

What's up guys just wanted to know what is the best camera/lens combo
out there. I want to buy a camera for my wife so it would be some sort a
beginner but most likely I'm leaning towards sony cameras.

Thank you

HellFish 03-02-2013 11:17 AM

I started off with a Canon T1i w/ 18-55 lens. Check out the T3i or T4i kits. (Don't get the regular T3)

Solidjake 03-02-2013 11:19 AM

What's your budget?

I went with a Nikon D5100 with the stock lens and also bought the 55-200mm and 35mm 1.8g lenses.

Remember, a good camera doesn't make a person a good photograhper. When you get the camera just take a lot of photos, play with some editing and come back to us for critque.

LeMansteve 03-02-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidjake (Post 15212074)
What's your budget?

I went with a Nikon D5100 with the stock lens and also bought the 55-200mm and 35mm 1.8g lenses.

Remember, a good camera doesn't make a person a good photograhper. When you get the camera just take a lot of photos, play with some editing and come back to us for critque.

+1 to all of this especially the stuff in bold. Cameras don't take pictures, people do! Put a basic camera in the hands of an experienced photographer, and you'll probably get "better" pictures than if you gave pro gear to a beginner.

A camera is a tool to help you efficiently achieve an end result. I started out in 2005 with my dad's old Nikon FE2 shooting film. Then I got a D70S as a graduation gift in 2006. 4 years later I upgraded to a D300S, but only because the design of the D70 didn't give me the control I wanted. The D70 was a basic wrench and I was working at a speed that required an impact wrench.

978wagonit 03-02-2013 02:13 PM

ok thank you guys for all the answers i wish i can give her a NIKON or a CANON but i have a good discount on SONY any body knows about this cameras are they just as good as the other brands.

TomTomTuning 03-02-2013 02:19 PM

I always suggest find out what your friends and family use, then go with that brand. That way you can borrow gear and also learn from them. You cant go wrong with Nikon or Canon.

I started with a 40D, then went to 5D2 and now I have a 5D3.

GlockMan 03-02-2013 03:09 PM

The best? Thousands. 10s of thousands.

Need a budget.

saxual328ci 03-02-2013 03:10 PM

If you ask us what is the best combo for a beginning and you know you gonna get a Sony, why even ask? I honestly would find a camera that fits your wife's needs. And use your Sony discount to buy you something. If she is someone who is visual, she might not like Sony. I know I don't like Canon menus, eventhough I'm a tech head the Canon menus I cannot dig in and use them. Nikon appeals to me more visually. Plus I know I'm gonna be using it more and learn more about photography. Sony is okay if you like using Minolta cameras. Most of your answers will be either Canon or Nikon because these cameras has a wide range of lenses to choose from and gives you more DSLRs to choose from. Their older bodies are even great to shoot with. Canon 20D or Nikon D80 will work for a beginner who wants to start in photography. If you want newer Canon T4i or Nikon D7000 (D90).

I don't like the entry level camera cause they are limited. You spend more time in camera changing your setting. With a camera like Canon 60D or 7D and Nikon D7000 or D90 you can change your settings with the buttons location on the top of the camera. Having quick access to your settings, you won't missed the shot. Better battery life especially when shooting video.

If you must get her a Sony.. go with this

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_SLT_A77/

Andy2108 03-03-2013 01:02 AM

It really depends on the person, but it sounds like you want a Sony. If she's wanting to get into photography then she'll want something that she can change the important stuff easily with....

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxual328ci (Post 15212515)
I don't like the entry level camera cause they are limited. You spend more time in camera changing your setting. With a camera like Canon 60D or 7D and Nikon D7000 or D90 you can change your settings with the buttons location on the top of the camera. Having quick access to your settings, you won't missed the shot. Better battery life especially when shooting video.

I agree. the D3000 and D5000 kind of suck because it seems like they expect you to slide it into auto mode (or some "scene" bs) and leave it there. That's not learning photography that's just posing with a fancy camera.

OP just get her a basic kit lens to start. The basic 18-55 or so lens is great because its cheap, convenient and will be a good starting point.