E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need Help - DCS DME EGS Issues (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=973961)

121xGigawatts 03-02-2013 04:27 PM

Need Help - DCS DME EGS Issues

I have been chasing issues/check engine lights on my car since I bought it at the end of December. Basically I bought a car with an idle issue, prior owner said he had his mechanic look at it and it was either the ICV, MAF, Coils, or Cam Sensor. Told me he didn't want to put money into it.

Fast forward, Idle issue ended up being a cracked valve on cylinder 2 (yes prior owner knew this but also knew enough to misdirect, expletives here for him). Replace head with a VAC Motorsports head, replaced ICV, MAF, Plugs, and the parts list could go on. At this point I have invested an additional 3+k into the car just to get it running correctly and through inspection, but it consistently throws SES. I have methodically been tackling the issues and now the remaining problems are just baffling.

My last DIS scan showed the following:
DCS5.7 - 76 DME/DDE does not fulfill torque request - DCS actively switched - no ABS control - Stop...
EGS - (145) 91 Can Torque reduction - General fault- -- - Sporadic fault - -- - Currently not present...
DME - (211) D# Idle-speed control valve, mechanical fault - Idle-speed control valve jammed open (P1500 ...

The DSC, ABS, Brake, EML lights come on after about 15 minutes of driving but reset when I turn the car off. Once the car is warm, they come on almost immediately. The check engine for the DME is sporadic and the ICV is a brand new OE part.

I am leaning towards an issue with the wiring and connectors but this is just a guess at this point. If complete parts list of what I have replaced would help let me know, I just didn't want to put it all if it wasn't needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

03E40sick 03-02-2013 07:19 PM

I believe a lot of people have been trying to fix this issue including me , noting yet , I spoke to a guy that works at peak BMW and he said worst gets to worst it could be the DME module , which they want $1500-2000... I would check the intake system with all the vacuum lines first

03E40sick 03-02-2013 07:22 PM

here are only 3 things that could go wrong related to this problem: EML+ASC (traction control) lights are throttle body related issues.

1. Throttle flaps get stuck due to sticky residue which can be cleaned out.
2. Throttle position sensors are bad which is imbedded into the throttle body (mechanical cable set up).
3. Wire harness is not plugged into throttle body correctly or the wire harness itself is faulty.

If any of these issues occur it will send a signal to the computer which will put the car into limp mode.

Sent from my iPhone

121xGigawatts 03-02-2013 11:12 PM

Thanks for the replies! I was leaning towards the TB as well. When I first bought the car I literally replaced every vacuum line and intake boots to try and eliminate that possibility when I was fixing the original idle issue. I noticed a little while ago that the cars RPM would fluctuate while coasting. This improved once I put the new ICV but it still happens although very small movement on the tach. The TB was pretty much spotless when I took it off for the head swap, so I am certain the previous owner cleaned it, but I am curious if it is just bad and not throwing a code. I am going to double check the wires tomorrow to see if there are any cracks or splits.

I just replaced the steering angle sensor and had it coded because that is what the dealership originally told me the issue was and once I got DIS running it confirmed.

Does INPA or DIS have any tests for the TB to see if it is the issue?

Thanks again for your help!

NumbaOneNewb 03-03-2013 01:22 AM

Issues like this always remind me of something electrical or related to electronics. Don't get a new ecu, that's just plain retarded. With my experience and background in electronics, computer software, programming, and anything electrical, you can sometimes have a partially functioning piece of electronics but my rule of thumb is it either works, or it doesn't. This isn't really a good rule to go by but if it pertains to the ECU, I think it does. Perhaps you may try dabbling in the art of ecu upgrading and see if that helps that and updating your tranny software. The sporadic fault seems interesting. I've also had the error 91 happen to me before too as well. It ended up being a voltage power issue, the fluctation and unstable volts due to perhaps (havent seen the error anymore but still having seldom voltage issues which I blame power steering fluid leaking on to my alternator) my alternator issue. I don't think its failing because I noticed residue from power steering atf fluid on it, and whenever I clean it, it works fine. all in a nutshell, power or voltage wild swings can easily be a cause of a lot of errors, throwing error codes and making you think its one thing when its not.

121xGigawatts 03-03-2013 12:44 PM

I agree I don't think the DME is bad either. I flashed the DME last Thursday but it didn't resolve the issue. Trans software is up to date as well. I was thinking about replacing the wire harness as a last resort but am holding off for now. I just went and cleaned all of the connectors and inspected the wiring. I didn't see any cracks or splits. Put it all back together and went for a short 15 minute ride. So far no lights but I am going to drive it for a while now to see if it comes back.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

121xGigawatts 03-03-2013 04:39 PM

Ok, longer ride and now have SES, EML, traction, ABD, and brake. Is there a way to test the throttle body?

121xGigawatts 03-03-2013 07:23 PM

Took the car out for around a 50 mile drive. EML, Traction, Brake and ABS came on about 15 minutes into the ride. Stopped for a few minutes at a store, started car, all lights were out. About a minute after starting, all lights came back with the SES light on now. Drove for a while, no change. Every time I turned the car off, lights (excluding SES) go out, and come back after about a minute of driving.

I am wondering if all of this could be caused by a bad battery? I have heard low voltage can cause all sorts of issues. I am going to break out the voltmeter tomorrow and test it.

From what I keep seeing, it appears there is definitely some component in the CAN system causing the issue if the battery doesn't end up being the cause. I am looking for a way to test the entire system to try and pinpoint it.

One strange thing, once it happens, if I am driving and need power, the trans does not kick down, it just hangs the gear unless I pump the gas a couple times, then it finally kicks down.

Thanks again for everyone's help,

Here is the new scan from when I got home

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/e...psa74e82e3.jpg

121xGigawatts 03-04-2013 08:37 PM

Battery is fine, 12.4v after sitting for a day and 13.5 with all accessories running.

I am going to check the connectors at the DME, the gas pedal itself, and the EGSto see if there are any issues there. I wish there was a place I could trust to bring it to but I know if I went to the dealer, they would just want to replace all my computers, which may not solve the issue.

NumbaOneNewb 03-05-2013 10:50 AM

Also, check your fuses that corresponds to any of those errors. One last thing to check, is your alignment off?

121xGigawatts 03-05-2013 08:48 PM

I'll check the fuses tomorrow that would be great if that was the issue.

I just replaced my steering angle sensor but my suspension is shot so that could be an issue. I am replacing that soon and hope it helps eliminate some possibilities.

NumbaOneNewb 03-05-2013 10:12 PM

Did you remember to run the steering wheel sensor test in Inpa when you switched it out? It should be under special tests without having to select e46 chassis or its under one of tabs under e46

121xGigawatts 03-06-2013 12:38 PM

I didn't see a test under Special for the Steering Angle Sensor, but saw under Chassis it has the module, but didnt see any tests for it. Am I looking in the right area? Fuses were all OK.

Thanks again for you help with this, I cannot wait to finally have a car without a light on!

NumbaOneNewb 03-07-2013 07:29 AM

ah, so you haven't. that explains why your lights are on, and who knows, it may be the cause of all your issues, although tranny error code not really related. I went through my version of inpa, 5.00 and I didn't see the test under special test either. I did see under chassis where it does show steering angle sensor, but I could've swore that it was under special test. Let me check an older version of inpa.

NumbaOneNewb 03-07-2013 07:36 AM

I also didn't see it with inpa version 5.00 but under version 3.01 (version text file says 4.4.7 package 1.0). it was under special tests. I would try reinstalling old inpa or, go through the inpa/bin file in both (c:\inpa\bin and c:\ecc-apps\inpa\bin) locations if they were installed in said directories and try executing both the inpa.exe and the inpaload.exe i've had different versions popup for each other.

scarede46er 03-07-2013 08:04 AM

I do see that your ICV has a fault. Did you replace that with a brand new one too?

121xGigawatts 03-07-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarede46er (Post 15227781)
I do see that your ICV has a fault. Did you replace that with a brand new one too?

Yes, I replaced with a brand new OE one. I replaced all of my vacuum lines and intake boots as well. I sometimes wonder if it is a leak somewhere, but cant think of a place it could be.

NumbaOneNewb 03-07-2013 01:44 PM

At least attempt to reset steering angle

121xGigawatts 03-07-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb (Post 15228873)
At least attempt to reset steering angle

I will give that a go tonight, I need to get Progman running again as I don't believe INPA doesn't show the ability too.

Do you think a bad suspension could cause the issue with the DCS? When I say bad, I mean basically just springs supporting the car, one of which is broke. I am either buying a new set up, or possible a decent low mileage used one this weekend so that may help the diagnosis.

NumbaOneNewb 03-07-2013 02:24 PM

Maybe but either way I would still get them replaced but try the free solution. The option is available. Like I said install the oldes inpa version you have