E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Food Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Expensive foods that you hate or don't get (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=974636)

Mike Larry 03-06-2013 10:32 AM

Expensive foods that you hate or don't get

Thought this might be interesting/fun, especially since most expensive food is expensive because of scarcity rather than actual taste.

I don't really get truffle oil. I think it tastes ok, but I've never felt like it adds so much to a dish that it's worth the price. I think it adds a hint of mild flavor and makes food taste different, but I'm not even sure that I actually enjoy the taste.

Plus, I also feel like fancy restaurants love to put it on everything just so they can have the word "truffle" as part of the food description on the menu. It makes food seem fancier than it really is and I don't think people would think it's such a big deal if truffles weren't expensive. Thoughts? :dunno:

evolved 03-06-2013 10:53 AM

I want to really like foie gras, but every time I have it the consistency just kills me. Even if it's seared on the outside, the inside reminds me of the consistency of snot.

Goose/duck/mallard liver pate is gross.....every time I see it or have it I think of canned cat food.

Mike Larry 03-06-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved (Post 15224458)
I want to really like foie gras, but every time I have it the consistency just kills me. Even if it's seared on the outside, the inside reminds me of the consistency of snot.

Goose/duck/mallard liver pate is gross.....every time I see it or have it I think of canned cat food.

i pretty much love anything liver-related, especially foie gras :drool:

if it werent expensive, i could eat cases of that stuff in a day

cowmoo32 03-06-2013 12:49 PM

Caviar, but I'm not a huge fish guy either.

2000_328CI 03-06-2013 12:52 PM

Sushi, Caviar, Escargot

Jesse M 03-06-2013 12:55 PM

Sushi is bomb and deserves all the praise and high prices associated with it. Ever watch those guys make it? It's like art. I'd eat it everyday if I could afford it.

JJR4884 03-06-2013 01:11 PM

Alaskan king crab legs... i saw them somewhere recently for like, $34.99/lb. lol... bullshit. No crab is worth that. I'll take the smaller sweeter version (snow crab) and enjoy thoroughly at $6.99/lb.

Jumbo shrimp cocktail... I still buy it, and I usually cook them myself so I will save a few bucks per lb buying them raw, however I just don't understand why shrimp is $17.99/lb... I guess its good that it comes out to $1.50 a piece, but still... just expensive IMO. Still beats $3.50 a piece at a restaurant.

Truffles.... they are delicious, but white alba truffles are such a hype and "rare" that the cost is just astronomical.

Sushi as well is overpriced. I don't think it is expensive, but I think nigiri sushi should never cost $3-$5 a piece. You are literally getting a spoonful of rice and usually less than an ounce of meat. That means the "sushi grade" tuna they are getting for $10/lb ends up being charged anywhere between $40-$70/lb. Learn how to make sushi and you can eat it every night ;)

Mike Larry 03-06-2013 01:25 PM

^ i agree with king crab legs, but i'm not crazy about snow crabs either. those two varieties of crab have the least flavor imo. i prefer dungeness or blue crabs

Adam@Euro-Spec 03-06-2013 01:37 PM

I would NEVER order a seafood tower at a nice restaurant...it makes me cringe when they sell them. $75-100 for about $10-15 retail worth of seafood...it's absolutely sickening.

Whole Steamed Lobsters out..freaking $30+ per pound is absolutely insane for something costs like $12 a lb and steaming a lobster is nothing special...

Caviar

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurreyF1 (Post 15225020)
Alaskan king crab legs... i saw them somewhere recently for like, $34.99/lb. lol... bullshit. No crab is worth that. I'll take the smaller sweeter version (snow crab) and enjoy thoroughly at $6.99/lb.

Jumbo shrimp cocktail... I still buy it, and I usually cook them myself so I will save a few bucks per lb buying them raw, however I just don't understand why shrimp is $17.99/lb... I guess its good that it comes out to $1.50 a piece, but still... just expensive IMO. Still beats $3.50 a piece at a restaurant.

King crabs are stupid priced...No idea why they are so much more then snow crab..but snow crab I can buy big pieces half pound and up each for around $6.50ish, king crab, half pound and up legs cost me $17lb and I was selling them for $18.99lb, then losing a few pounds on the bottom of the box..obviously i stopped selling those, i refuse to charge people $25 for them.

Shrimp are also stupid expensive right now, they will come down beginning of the summer when texas season opens up. Jumbo Brown Shrimp(yes brown is 1001231x better then white shrimp) are high right now, I'm paying about $9lb selling for $14.99...

Adam@Euro-Spec 03-06-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Larry (Post 15224570)
i pretty much love anything liver-related, especially foie gras :drool:

if it werent expensive, i could eat cases of that stuff in a day

Haha I feel exactly the same way..if there is foie gras on the menu I usually always order it :drool:

evolved 03-06-2013 01:40 PM

I love the taste of crab and lobster....legs, claws, etc. Love it.

However, I could never eat them if the whole bug is sitting there on my plate.....like, body, eyes and all. It totally freaks me out, lol.

JJR4884 03-06-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec (Post 15225123)
I would NEVER order a seafood tower at a nice restaurant...it makes me cringe when they sell them. $75-100 for about $10-15 retail worth of seafood...it's absolutely sickening.

Whole Steamed Lobsters out..freaking $30+ per pound is absolutely insane for something costs like $12 a lb and steaming a lobster is nothing special...

Caviar

King crabs are stupid priced...No idea why they are so much more then snow crab..but snow crab I can buy big pieces half pound and up each for around $6.50ish, king crab, half pound and up legs cost me $17lb and I was selling them for $18.99lb, then losing a few pounds on the bottom of the box..obviously i stopped selling those, i refuse to charge people $25 for them.

Shrimp are also stupid expensive right now, they will come down beginning of the summer when texas season opens up. Jumbo Brown Shrimp(yes brown is 1001231x better then white shrimp) are high right now, I'm paying about $9lb selling for $14.99...

Yea most restaurants around here are getting $25/lb for a whole lobster. I guess that is equal with paying $40 for a 10oz filet that would cost you $15 in a market. Its all the same mark up, but ya, they are expensive, and they are typically boiled in regular water. F that. I cut up an onion, carrot, celery, little white wine, red pepper flakes, and I STEAM the lobsters in the water they came from. Or I'll get ocean water if i'm at my buddy's beach house. Come at me lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved (Post 15225136)
I love the taste of crab and lobster....legs, claws, etc. Love it.

However, I could never eat them if the whole bug is sitting there on my plate.....like, body, eyes and all. It totally freaks me out, lol.

you of all people, i'm surprised something like that freaks you out. i name my lobsters and let them crawl around the table first before i steam them. i also take the rubber bands off and have them battle each other :rofl:

dreamdrivedrift 03-06-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurreyF1 (Post 15225215)
you of all people, i'm surprised something like that freaks you out. i name my lobsters and let them crawl around the table first before i steam them. i also take the rubber bands off and have them battle each other :rofl:

:rofl: do you use tongs or your bare hands to pick them up?

also to stay on topic, i do not like caviar

evolved 03-06-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

I eat tons of strange food, but for some reason I get the heebie jeebies (technical term) with the whole shabang there on my plate. My wife and I are heading to Key West at the end of the month and she's already making fun of me about it since she'll have a lobster/crab at some point during the trip.

Adam@Euro-Spec 03-06-2013 02:07 PM

Tuna belly is awesome but not worth $15 a slice IMO.

Quote:

Yea most restaurants around here are getting $25/lb for a whole lobster. I guess that is equal with paying $40 for a 10oz filet that would cost you $15 in a market. Its all the same mark up, but ya, they are expensive, and they are typically boiled in regular water. F that. I cut up an onion, carrot, celery, little white wine, red pepper flakes, and I STEAM the lobsters in the water they came from. Or I'll get ocean water if i'm at my buddy's beach house. Come at me lol.

Mark up is the same, but i don't know the wholesale cost of beef haha :rofl: But that's the main thing...the just boil it in ****ing plain water..least steaks they have a 1500degree grill or a good house made gorgonzola butter or something..not just a ****ing overpriced lobster thrown in a pot.

there is a restaurant i order lobster from but it's stuffed so different and amazing.

Mike Larry 03-06-2013 02:33 PM

yea i dont really get caviar either. i enjoy the flavor, but not enough for how expensive it is. i would bet that caviar would be real inexpensive if it were readily available.

NFRs2000nyc 03-06-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Larry (Post 15224367)
Thought this might be interesting/fun, especially since most expensive food is expensive because of scarcity rather than actual taste.

I don't really get truffle oil. I think it tastes ok, but I've never felt like it adds so much to a dish that it's worth the price. I think it adds a hint of mild flavor and makes food taste different, but I'm not even sure that I actually enjoy the taste.

Plus, I also feel like fancy restaurants love to put it on everything just so they can have the word "truffle" as part of the food description on the menu. It makes food seem fancier than it really is and I don't think people would think it's such a big deal if truffles weren't expensive. Thoughts? :dunno:

Truffle oil has nothing to do with truffles. It is made be perfumists. You are correct, it's dogsh!t.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dail...ur-pantry.html

NFRs2000nyc 03-06-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolved (Post 15224458)

You crazy. Fois gras is sooooo good. If it has the consistency of snot, it's undercooked.

NFRs2000nyc 03-06-2013 03:08 PM

Something else I think you should all read....if you go to a restaurant and they serve "kobe" get up and leave, they are fleecing you.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...kobe-beef-lie/

Ive been telling people this for years, but few believed me....now the cat's out of the bag.

evolved 03-06-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc (Post 15225516)
You crazy. Fois gras is sooooo good. If it has the consistency of snot, it's undercooked.

Maybe I had a bad experience.....one of my favorite places here in St. Louis has foie on the menu and the two times I've had it it's been a bad consistency. Now that I'm thinking about it, I did, however, have it in Amsterdam on NYE and it was very good. It was more firm, on top of some rocket leaves on a fancy toast point.