E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Average yearly maintenance cost (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=974994)

willmkent 03-07-2013 06:39 PM

Average yearly maintenance cost

Hey all!

quick question for the veterans here! Those who have had your E46's for quite some time, how much would you say your average yearly maintenance cost is on your bmw's

Thanks

-Will

Grande D 03-07-2013 06:42 PM

http://blog.mainstreethost.com/wp-co...on-Dollars.png

awesomechinz 03-07-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grande D (Post 15230089)

Bahahahaha troller haha

caleb6 03-07-2013 06:44 PM

oh boy, here we go again!

As much as you want to spend. Big debates on this in here as you'll see. Set aside around $1,000 a year if you can, if you DIY. If not, forget it, keep driving the Taurus.

willmkent 03-07-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caleb6 (Post 15230094)
oh boy, here we go again!

As much as you want to spend. Big debates on this in here as you'll see. Set aside around $1,000 a year if you can, if you DIY. If not, forget it, keep driving the Taurus.

damn, i mean I thought that was somewhat of a myth. I know this thread is probably beating a dead horse but, it cant be that much. what needs to be done other than regular oil changes and proper flushes of the systems at certain intervals. I have enough money to do whats proper on these cars, I just cant find the explanation to the dollar amounts that I read about.

willmkent 03-07-2013 07:10 PM

well, so the E46 im looking at seems well maintained, VCG, coolant system flush, proper oil changes, thermostat have all been maintenance and or replaced. 105,000 miles on the car. and everything works like the windows, all switches, heated seats, radio, heat, and AC Im expecting to put some new and nice suspension on it but at its current condition, im expecting to just drive it an enjoy it. I mean sure, things could come up and need to be replaced, but how much more can really go wrong if the car was taken care of?

wildirish317 03-07-2013 07:17 PM

Brakes and tires are high $$ items that are also wear items. They will skew the average up when they need replacing. I would agree with the $1,000/yr ($80/mo, how much do you spend on gas?).

wildirish317 03-07-2013 07:19 PM

^to clarify, budget (put aside) $80/mo. Then you have it when you need it.

Zell 03-07-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildirish317 (Post 15230189)
^to clarify, budget (put aside) $80/mo. Then you have it when you need it.

That's a pretty smart idea. What's stupid is why I don't do this with most everything...it'd save a hell of a lot of stress.

Birthday fund, Christmas fund, etc. I should start doing that.

willmkent 03-07-2013 07:27 PM

putting away $80 per month sounds like a good idea. I can easily manage that. I think thats completely fair, thanks guys thats a good idea

It's pretty much 1000 per year, but when put like that it sounds so much more manageable.

wildirish317 03-07-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zell (Post 15230193)
That's a pretty smart idea. What's stupid is why I don't do this with most everything...it'd save a hell of a lot of stress.

Birthday fund, Christmas fund, etc. I should start doing that.

It's a bit off topic, but after we bought our first house, we realized that there were some expenses that came up a couple of times a year (car insurance, for one) that we didn't have money from our regular paycheck to cover. So we opened a second checking account (our budget account). Into this went everything we could quantify in a year: house payment, insurance, gasoline, memberships, etc. We would take the total annual amountof these items, divide it by the number of pay periods per year, and put that amount in our budget account every paycheck. It's simple, and it works.

willmkent 03-07-2013 07:44 PM

nice management for that. Quick question though, and I apologize if this is a stupid question, but, you guys have years that dont require maintenance right, i mean... its not like these cars are on a constant fix rate. Say all preventative maintenance is performed at the 10k mark, could one hit around 120k without any issues, or are they litterally in the shop at least once a year? (besides oil changes)

Solidjake 03-07-2013 07:53 PM

Had my car for 4yrs and 6mo. Cost is averaged to 102 per month.

willmkent 03-07-2013 08:09 PM

I like what the car has to offer, however im beginning to learn that BMW love is why the maintenance is paid, would this be a correct statement?

wildirish317 03-07-2013 08:24 PM

Read my signature, does it apply?

choxor 03-07-2013 08:38 PM

Maintenance cost for what. 330? 325? M3?

It's a used car. Pick a number. Maintenance costs can vary wildly depending on age, mileage, and service history.

Adionik 03-07-2013 09:42 PM

I always do a big tune up when I first buy a used car to start a baseline. Then wait for something to break. Not much #SWAGG in waiting on the side of the highway for a tow truck so i'm trying to address the weak points of the E46. I'll be in for a grand very soon if i'm not already in maintenance.

wildirish317 03-07-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willmkent (Post 15230275)
nice management for that. Quick question though, and I apologize if this is a stupid question, but, you guys have years that dont require maintenance right, i mean... its not like these cars are on a constant fix rate. Say all preventative maintenance is performed at the 10k mark, could one hit around 120k without any issues, or are they litterally in the shop at least once a year? (besides oil changes)

There are no years that require no maintenance. Oil/air filters will always be done, unless you drive less than 5000 miles per year. Even then, you should change the oil. You can take a car from zero to 120k without maintenance, but that will probably be the end of the car's useful life. No manufacturer has a "lifetime" oil, and 120k miles without an oil change will kill any engine. If you DIY all the recommended maintenance items (for BMW, per Bentley), your car should never be in the shop.

TerraPhantm 03-07-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willmkent (Post 15230133)
damn, i mean I thought that was somewhat of a myth. I know this thread is probably beating a dead horse but, it cant be that much. what needs to be done other than regular oil changes and proper flushes of the systems at certain intervals. I have enough money to do whats proper on these cars, I just cant find the explanation to the dollar amounts that I read about.

$1000 / year really isn't a lot. I would be really happy if that's all my maintenance cost me.

On both my ZHP and M3, I went through a set of tires a year, and that's about $1200 each time. And there's plenty of other crap to do on top of the tires

I'd say I averaged $2000/year on the ZHP and $3k / year on the M3. And at least with the M3, it doesn't look like that figure will let down any time soon. I'm going to have to do my control arms and bushings soon. I really should do a subframe reinforcement. I have a valveadjustment coming up in 7k miles. And by the time I fix all that stuff, I'll probably have to change the clutch, knowing my luck.

brokensmile209 03-08-2013 04:09 AM

Had my 325ci for a year now, change brake and oil, maybe around $100-$200 for last year :D, maybe ill go another 60k before ill started checking my part :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App