E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   New England (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   It's been a pleasure... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=977040)

MR27122 03-19-2013 12:55 PM

It's been a pleasure...

I just wanted to thank everybody on this forum for their advice/guidance/etc.

Sadly, Title was turned over on my '04 325xi w/ 63K miles on it this AM to a new & hopefully loving owner...& in return I got $10K & the plates!

I'm sticking w/ "German" & pick-up a new 2013 Audi Quattro A4 on Thursday...hopefully that doesn't translate into my having to walk the gang plank on this forum!

Yet, I'm still in the BMW fold w/ an '08 328xi Wagon that I don't have a clue what to do with.

Interestingly, I've read the forum E46 v E90...& all I can say is that the E46 is---in my opinion---much superior. The exception being the placement of the cup holders next to the hazards/power lock switch, my only gripe. On the E90...as BMW has gone sleeker, they have also compromised the amount of front windshield outward viewing space---the E90 with an EZ-PASS possibly provides for 10"-12" of outward viewing, terrible!

Anyway thanks again all & I wish you all very happy & safe decades of continued E46 motoring & enjoyment & Pleasure!

-David

trizzuth 03-19-2013 03:12 PM

Damn, that sucks. Good luck with your Audi, only Audi I'd ever consider is none of them, but the A5/S5/RS5 sure is a beaut!!!

And you're right about E46 VS E90.. I could not stand the E90's window switch placement when I drove them as loaner cars when my E46 was still under warranty.. at least their front looks a heck of a lot better than the F30's grossness.

2000beamer 03-19-2013 03:28 PM

Good luck with the Audi. After hundreds of trips in both the E46 and E90, I have complaints about both's interiors. The E46 is nice, and I love the placement of the window controls, but the center armrest and cup holders just suck. I can fit one full size bottle and only a small can in the second holder. My companions always end up having to hold their drinks in their laps. Quite embarrassing. As far as the E90, I can't stand the window switch placement (as my friend above said,) and the drink holders are only mediocre. When driving with a taller passenger (such as my father or grandfather,) they always have to mind where their drink is in relation to their knee cap as the cup holder slides out and becomes bothersome. From a drivers perspective, both vehicles are surprisingly comfortable and fun to drive. I prefer the speed of the E90, but the braking and overall feel of the E46 trumps it. The 90 is considerably more comfortable on long highway trips as I LOVE the cruise control system compared to the E46. Also, the backseat in the E90 is (or at least it feels) more spacious and actually has cup holders back their too! The E90 has an advantage as far as being more technologically advanced with amenities such as blue tooth, navigation, and BMW assist. None the less, they're both extraordinary cars.

trizzuth 03-19-2013 04:25 PM

:) E46's can have blue tooth, navigation and BMW assist as well!

I love telling my wife to hold her drink so I can whip around corners whilst mine stays nice and tight! The E90's cup holders, while more out of the way, seem too low to actually hold anything with good grip... guess this has always been a flaw on BMW's, probably because they are the ultimate driving machine and were not meant to carry food and drink..

MR27122 03-19-2013 05:06 PM

Yes, BMW has cup-holder issues. E46 v E90 is truly a personal taste thing...E46 is the better looking car, especially in comparison to those early E90's w/ fuggly rims & non chrome exhaust tips. Never used the bluetooth, but it did have the SOS/Maintenance button on the rear-view mirror & fin on the roof, so it had BMW assist. I agree that the E46 back seat is a bit tight..but overall---side by side---the E46 will stand the test of time, and has...2 generations later & in my opinion it is the best looking of the bunch!

MR27122 03-19-2013 05:09 PM

ohh & the iPod/iPhone integration on the E46 knda sucked. But besides that, not much to gripe about.

trizzuth 03-20-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR27122 (Post 15265723)
ohh & the iPod/iPhone integration on the E46 knda sucked. But besides that, not much to gripe about.

Right. Except that every single piece of rubber/plastic that is any where near the engine turns to bacon after about 10 years. But that's what you can expect from such a glorious engine that produces a lot of heat. I keep telling my friend I am scared of the 10 year mark on his 2007 335i because that thing produces much more heat than my E46, it gets so hot you can't even touch the engine cover sometimes... I can just imagine the carnage!

MR27122 03-20-2013 05:00 PM

Dang trizzuth!! Your spot-on. I think the "engine rubber plastic beacon" is the last of my gripes---and what is that 3. Rest assured my rest last night sucked thinking about that car never being in my driveway again. It is testament to the E46 that I'm totally sanguine about picking up a new car tomorrow.

Driving the E90 as a daily for the past couple of weeks has been a joy, but I am still in a state of disbelief that the finest Engineers for daily drivers on the Planet are clueless when it comes to cup-holders. I guess it is an American "Super Big Gulp" thing. But @ least take a page from Honda, I just got my Wife a new Odyssey in Dec & Honda certainly "engineers" some of the finest cup-holders on the road today...is that a compliment or a back handed compliment???

trizzuth 03-21-2013 09:47 AM

HA! some-what back handed as a minivan has a natural seating position way higher than a sedan/coupe, and sh(tloads more room, so they can put legitimate cup holders wherever they please and they will always be robust. Center stack of controls in a minivan is huge compared to what we have in our cars..

MR27122 03-22-2013 01:45 PM

True-True on cup-holders/minivans. I like how the Germans, if you press the auto-up on a window don't have a kill feature if an object/hand gets in the way..sort of an..."let the idiot american break his wrist, then they will have no need for a cup holder!!!!!!"

Audi has all of 72 miles on it, but that electronically controlled speed sensitive steering or whatever it is called is gonna take awhile to get used to...as is all the technology junk. I don't have ADD, yet after 1.5+ hours of "that does this, but this does that, and you can do this & that with this only if you have that"...they got to the "smart key" dissertation & I was like "okay, i've had it...if I jam the key up an orifice...by accident OF COURSE..the start button won't work...I get it...I want to go home"....the salesperson was halfway out the door, and saying something like "...well if the key is actually on your body...or I guess in your body...the smart key technology will still...." I started to drive off before hearing what it would still do.