E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   2003 330xi owner multiple questions (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=977422)

DieselMinded 03-21-2013 02:14 PM

2003 330xi owner multiple questions

Hello all new member here with a few questions your help is greatly appreciated.

1. when on auto my heater blower motor flutters works fine just acts like when auto it runs sporadic.

2. Car has 140,000 miles on it i bought a new clutch 3 mths ago when i got the car but haven't installed it because clutch doesn't seen to be getting worst do the clutches on these cars just engage really late like 1 inch from atw out?

3. Already replaced control arms/ball joints/ca bushings what else is going to gi wrong? Cooling system? Vanos?

4. I buy only oem and only from ecs current parts on there way. Thermostat kit, valve cover gasket kit. Any tips on install?

5. Car is crap on snow and ice Dsc has to be off or car de-powers itself when loosing traction will kill the motor on steep hill if loosing traction

6. I live in a geographic oddity i drive up a cliff everyday i own a h3 as well but need this car to be a beast can i put like buckshot mudders on it in the winter? Not trolling just over exaggerating a wee bit .

7. I need another set if rims to run my winter tires on what bmw oem rims will fit my car? Whats a good price rims only?

8. My tire pressure light is on i live over 100 miles from a bmw dealer and since im going to be running 2 sets of rims i just want the yellow light off whats the redneck way to kill the light?

9. I have no aux on my head unit how can i use my iphone for music in car?

10. I have yellowish gunk under oil fill cap whats that from?

The reason im doing the vcg is when i go up the cliff there is an awful smell i think oil is coming out of vcg on rear of engine

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-t...iphone+415.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q...iphone+416.JPG

SamDoe1 03-21-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselMinded (Post 15271916)
Hello all new member here with a few questions your help is greatly appreciated. Welcome aboard!

1. when on auto my heater blower motor flutters works fine just acts like when auto it runs sporadic. You need a new final stage resistor. Search the DIY forum for part numbers and DIY install instructions with pictures.

2. Car has 140,000 miles on it i bought a new clutch 3 mths ago when i got the car but haven't installed it because clutch doesn't seen to be getting worst do the clutches on these cars just engage really late like 1 inch from atw out? The clutch engagement is towards the top of the pedal travel. That's just the way it is. You'll be able to tell if your clutch is going when it starts slipping when it's supposed to be engaged.

3. Already replaced control arms/ball joints/ca bushings what else is going to gi wrong? Cooling system? Vanos? If the cooling system hasn't been done yet, make that your first priority. Expansion tank, thermostat, and water pump for sure. Radiator hoses if they aren't good. Mine were fine when I replaced my system so I left them in. VANOS doesn't really fail, it just gets laggy.

4. I buy only oem and only from ecs current parts on there way. Thermostat kit, valve cover gasket kit. Any tips on install? IMO, ECS is super expensive. Try getbmwparts.com or thebmwpartstore.com. Both of those are super easy, you shouldn't have any troubles.

5. Car is crap on snow and ice Dsc has to be off or car de-powers itself when loosing traction will kill the motor on steep hill if loosing traction You likely have shitty tires. The car is a beast in the snow and ice with the right tires.

6. I live in a geographic oddity i drive up a cliff everyday i own a h3 as well but need this car to be a beast can i put like buckshot mudders on it in the winter? Not trolling just over exaggerating a wee bit . Get snow tires, mine is unstoppable in deep snow with snow tires. In MN, we get deep snow.

7. I need another set if rims to run my winter tires on what bmw oem rims will fit my car? Whats a good price rims only? You will need 17in or larger rims to fit over the brakes and any E46 rim except for rear M3 rims will fit on your car no problem. 5 series rims won't fit due to offset issues.

8. My tire pressure light is on i live over 100 miles from a bmw dealer and since im going to be running 2 sets of rims i just want the yellow light off whats the redneck way to kill the light? Have all the sensors put in your spare tire and make sure it's at the right pressure.

9. I have no aux on my head unit how can i use my iphone for music in car? You can install the aux in your head unit for ~$30 and 30mins of your time. The dealer and many online shops sell the OEM kit to do this.

10. I have yellowish gunk under oil fill cap whats that from? You have water condensation in your oil. If you live in a cold environment, this is normal. Give your car a long (hour plus) drive and it should go away. Other thing to do is drive your car to full temp, park it, and leave the fill cap off to let the water evaporate. Don't forget to put it back on before driving again.

The reason im doing the vcg is when i go up the cliff there is an awful smell i think oil is coming out of vcg on rear of engine You got it.

Welcome to the circus that is E46F! See above and don't take it too personally if/when you get flamed. If you can take it, you can dish it.

DieselMinded 03-21-2013 06:01 PM

Thanks a ton!

I have a t-stat kit in route do i really need to replace the waterpump and tank premeditated what if its already been changed. Im replacing the tstat because 1 time last year i got a coolant temp not controlling code.

So any e46 rims will work on my car great!

I use ecs i like there support and website and they are on ohio so thats a huge plus.

I do have a brand new oem clutch from ecs sitting here may swap it out and see if its any better current clutch doesnt slip but if your stopped on a hill and someone pulls right up behind you , you damn near have to smoke it to keep from going backwards

I did get a tube of the oil proof rtv for the vcg install. Got the spark plugs too as it looks like ill be right there when changing the vcg

Local tire shops are unable to read my tire press sensors they say bmw havent released the coding yet so ill have to go to a dealer and get 8 sensors and have them mated to my system ..... Not happening need cost effective way to bypass i know when i have a flat tire dont need the car telling me

How so i know if mu car was originally equipped with run flats? Does that effect my 2nd set of rims?

Thanks

DieselMinded 03-21-2013 06:22 PM

I need 17" rims eh

I do think i have the sport package with steering wheel is that why i have larger brakes ?

Are 16" rims common?

DieselMinded 03-21-2013 08:01 PM

Just ordered ecs expansion tank kit and a new bmw blower relay

jmo69 03-21-2013 10:24 PM

My 325xi has 17" rims, but 16's will fit it, but I think 330's need 17's. I put a used set of Dunlop M3 RF snows on mine this year and it has been unstoppable in the snow and we had a lot of it in Wis. this year. Get some dedicated winter wheels/tires and enjoy it.

KaktusJaque 03-21-2013 11:11 PM

I just picked up my xi from Colorado, drove it back across some heavy snow packed roads on a few mountain passes, and got to say I was quite impressed with how well it did, it also has some really good MS rated tires too. I also have the sport package with the 16s on it.

SamDoe1 03-22-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselMinded (Post 15272759)
Thanks a ton!

I have a t-stat kit in route do i really need to replace the waterpump and tank premeditated what if its already been changed. Im replacing the tstat because 1 time last year i got a coolant temp not controlling code. Read the horror stories on here and make your decision. I would for sure do the water pump as that's something every car will require to be replaced at ~110k miles. The cooling system is the weakest component in the car, take good care of it.

So any e46 rims will work on my car great! Right, except for rear M3 wheels. Those don't work.

I use ecs i like there support and website and they are on ohio so thats a huge plus.

I do have a brand new oem clutch from ecs sitting here may swap it out and see if its any better current clutch doesnt slip but if your stopped on a hill and someone pulls right up behind you , you damn near have to smoke it to keep from going backwards Look up the clutch delay valve and how to either remove it, replace it with a better one, or drill it out. The clutch in these cars is much less "violent" in engagement than many other cars.

I did get a tube of the oil proof rtv for the vcg install. Got the spark plugs too as it looks like ill be right there when changing the vcg

Local tire shops are unable to read my tire press sensors they say bmw havent released the coding yet so ill have to go to a dealer and get 8 sensors and have them mated to my system ..... Not happening need cost effective way to bypass i know when i have a flat tire dont need the car telling me Find a new shop. Your car is almost 10 years old and they don't have the codes for it? Unacceptable. Other option is to get the car uncoded for the TPMS so it just ignores the signal completely.

How so i know if mu car was originally equipped with run flats? Does that effect my 2nd set of rims? It wasn't equipped with run flats. Only the M3's were equipped with run flats. You can check if you have a spare tire, that's the best way to see if you have them or not. Won't affect your 2nd or even 1st set of rims, just get normal tires and a AAA membership.

Thanks

See above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselMinded (Post 15272844)
I need 17" rims eh

I do think i have the sport package with steering wheel is that why i have larger brakes ?

Are 16" rims common?

You have larger brakes because you have a 330. They all have larger brakes and require 17in or larger wheels regardless of sport package. FYI, the sport package on the Xi is only steering wheel and seats, the suspension is identical to non-sport cars.

DieselMinded 03-24-2013 08:22 PM

Landed a set of 20 spoke 17" bmw rims , thinking of painting them gold

http://athensohio.craigslist.org/pts/3685065301.html

Just ordered new center caps

Talked to the shop about the tpms codes and they said bmw still has not released them and they never have to and that toyota and nissian just now released thiers

e46alfonso 03-24-2013 10:31 PM

I'd pass on those wheels, they're too skinny and uninteresting. Go for some wider 17's, it's worth the wait, dont rush into things.

DavidDee 03-24-2013 11:10 PM

You'll actually have more traction in the show with skinnier tires because you will be going through the snow as oppose to driving on top of the snow.

e46alfonso 03-24-2013 11:26 PM

I feel like 205's cant handle the weight of the xi. I been using 225's for winter and 245's in summer for a while now. I'll be running 255's on all 4 this summer.