E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   $$ Ask a Crypto-Currency trader anything thread (Free Money) $$ (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=979848)

HaloArchive 04-03-2013 01:20 AM

$$ Ask a Crypto-Currency trader anything thread (Free Money) $$

There isnt one of these yet so .. ask away.:thumbsup:

Litecoin website: www.litecoin.org
Bitcoin website: www.bitcoin.org

Introduction to Litecoin CLICK ME

Why Mine?/What is mining about?

Here is a link to what mining is all about but, written for BTC when it was around the same value LTC is now. HERE

Popularity of the term "Litecoin" Here on Google.

Mining profitability:

BTC Mining Profitability
LTC Mining Profitability

If you actually looked at those links ^ you will probably have noticed that it is not profitable to mine BTC. So, we will focus on mining LTC instead.

Hardware Hashing Rates:
NOTE: Mining on CPU only or on an Nvidia card may not yeild great results. Please look in the link to see what you can expect.
NOTE 2: Mining on a MAC/Linux/Unix is difficult and not for those with minimal knowledge of computers. PC mining is very easy in comparison.

Litecoin Hashing Comparison

HOW TO START MINING LITECOIN (LTC)

Step 1: Get yourself into a mining pool. A pool will best serve the new miner as you will get constant pay. HERE is a hashrate distribution chart which you can look at to determine which pool you would like to join and HERE is a chart for a comparison of said pools. Once you decide what pool you want to be part of, go to their host site and sign up! I am a fan of litecoinpool.org but, its just personal preference.

Step 2: Get yourself a LTC wallet address. You can either use a web based wallet on a trading website like BTC-e or you can use a machine based wallet based on the LTC Client.

Step 3: Go and download a miner for your CPU if you'd like or go with something more efficient like a Graphics Card miner. Two options are CGMiner and Reaper.

Step 4: Set up your miner following your pool's recommendations. You are usually able to google this part (Eg. HOW TO SET UP XXXX MINER) If you want something to config CGMiner for you, try out CGEasy

Step 5: Mine!

How to SET UP YOUR MINER

ScryptMiner:
NOTE: This is fairly easy to set up compared to the others but, this is for CPU MINING ONLY and may slow your computer down to a halt if used in conjunction with a GPU miner.

When you open the EXE for Scrypt, you will be greeted with a screen with fill in the blanks.

-Threads refers to how many threads on the CPU you want to mine on. Make tis value half of them if you still want to use your computer with GPU miner.
- Scantime is how long the program scans for changes, finished blocks, new blocks, submissions etc. Leave this be.
- RPC Server refers to your pool's main address.
- Username and Password are from your Pool's worker miner. This can generally be found on your pool's account settings page once you sign up.
- Port is the port on the Pool that is requesting miners to report to. This can also be found on the pool's webpage.

That is all you really need to start mining. The API key will just make it so scrypt will display your overall stats on the program.

CGMiner:
Your best bet with CG Miner is to use CGEasy to set up your config file FOR YOU. Go to the link, download the program and watch the 10 min video on how to set it up, provided by the creator himself. If you have specific questions, please post ITT

CGMiner Config/BAT breakdown:

"cgminer --scrypt -o http://litecoinpool.org:9332 -u Username.1 -p x --shaders #### --intensity ## --worksize ### -g #"

cgminer - this tells the computer that this is for cgminer and what follows is the config.

--scrypt - tells cgminer to mine Scrypt

-o http://litecoinpool.org:9332 - tells the miner what pool to connect to. Notice how the port is on the end.

-u Username.1 - This tells cgminer what username you want to log onto the pool with. Username should be replaced with your username/worker on the pool. The .1, that is the worker. By default on a lot of pools the default worker is .1, that is why I have it here.

-p x - Another pool setting for cgminer, this simply sets the password. The password is usually defined on the workers page of a pool. It is usually x or 1 by default.

--shaders #### - This tries to choose the best settings for mining scrypt on your graphics cards. To find the best number for this google your videocard name along with he term "shaders".

--intensity ## - This sets the "intensity" of the gpu scanning. A high number is good for dedicated miners, a lower number should be used if you plan on using your desktop. Most cards do well at 12 for desktop usage and 13+ for dedicated mining.

--worksize ### - Tweaking this can improve your performance. Try 256, 128, or 64. Larger doesn't equal better sometimes.

-g # - Sets the threads per gpu. You usually want to keep this at 1

NOTE:
- For multible gpu setups, you can use commas to control both cards. Say you have two cards and one does better at worksize 128 and another at 256, just set --worksize 128,256 in the order of your gpus.

- If you dont get results you expect, a quick google search of settings for your card should yield something. If still not, ask ITT and I can help.

Reaper:

Is the better miner for LTC but ...

Is very complicated to set up, I suggest going to the developer page and using the information there to set up the program. And this forum blocks the link to the solidcoin wiki which has reaper so youll have to google "reaper miner download" and click on the first link, and go to the download section and grab the version applicable to your application.

To mine on Reaper is easy but the setup is difficult. This is what you need to do:

Edit the reaper.conf file in notepad to the following:

Code:

kernel reaper.cl
save_binaries yes
enable_graceful_shutdown no
long_polling yes
platform 0
device 0
# device 1
# device 2
# device 3

mine litecoin

Device # must be added for every card you have to avoid using the CPU as well to mine.
Make sure when reaper starts that it states that the CPU platform is disabled. CPU mining does not work correctly and may actually slow down GPU mining with reaper.

Edit the litecoin.conf to how you need it:

Code:

host yourpool.com ### Do not add http://!!
port xxxx
user username
pass password

protocol litecoin

worksize xxx
vectors x
aggression xx
threads_per_gpu x
sharethreads xx
lookup_gap x
gpu_thread_concurrency xxxxx

You can find the settings for everything listed under protocol litecoin in the hardware comparison listed here. CLICK ME

Once you have everything setup and saved, run your reaper.exe and start mining!

Simple Efficent Mining Rig Under $1500:

CPU: Whatever is cheap and fits the socket of your board. LGA 1155 (Ex: Celeron)
Motherboard: Whatever is cheap and supports 3x PCI-e and has a matching socket to your processor.
Power Supply: 850w Modular Bronze or higher rating.
Memory: 8GB (2x 4GB) of reliable DDR3
Hard Drive: Western Digital Sata
Video Cards(Very Important): 3x 7950's or 3x 7970's
Case: Something with 8 expansion slots on the back. I like the LianLi ATX cases for their quietness and airflow.
Total: Should be around $1500

Here is an example of one of my builds:

CPU
Motherboard
Power Supply
Memory
Hard Drive
3x Video Cards or 3x This Card. Be weary though, the Sapphire takes up 2.3 slots so, you will not be able to run 3 of these on a standard board.
Case

NOTE: 3 video cards in a case will be VERY hot. If you have high ambient temps or non-adequate fans and want to keep it in a case like I have listed, consider only buying 2 video cards instead. If you want to run 3 video cards and have high ambient temps or non-adequate fans, consider building your rig inside of a milk crate to allow for space around the cards for cooling. If you have extreme heat conditions, a milk crate build is a must as well as using PCIE x16 riser cables (look on eBay) and offset your graphics cards.

Okay I have gotten a couple PM's on how to support video cards in a cubic case so, here is my method which is cheap and requires no screws.

This is a pictorial. You should be able to follow along.

Acquire parts (Zip Ties, .5x2xL wood and 1x2xL wood):
http://i48.tinypic.com/28tjojn.jpg

Cut wood and place like shown and ziptie it in place:
http://i48.tinypic.com/9u5a3b.jpg

Place some bumpers to level out the card:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2v8ri2p.jpg

Throw your components in and tie them down:

Done!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I helped you in a good way, feel free to send a donation :)

BTC: 1ArPSnYeAeMDLjSWHEKZiw1LQGh7Qwn7td
LTC: LasqJfQ1V7XMRSLqeFPuupzStjBbpzUfKa

farmdog 04-03-2013 01:23 AM

What does crack-cocaine smell like when it's burning?

Jonshmoe 04-03-2013 01:23 AM

how do you start ?

HaloArchive 04-03-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmdog (Post 15308271)
What does crack-cocaine smell like when it's burning?

F2B

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonshmoe (Post 15308273)
how do you start ?

Depends on what you want to start with. Trading or Mining. Here is a good introduction: CLICK ME

k2pilot 04-03-2013 01:52 AM

you said dual 7950 gets only 600 khash/s? My V7800 here at my home workstation has been pulling off 195 mhash/s, so 600k seems somewhat low? I haven't tried the 7950's yet as they're at the office so I have no clue what they'll do real world.

I'd like to grab some of the ati W8000's for my CAD work, so if they can pull double duty mining that's great. Any idea if the tahiti based firepro line offers any considerable advantage over the 7xxx's? I know power consumption is certainly better.

HaloArchive 04-03-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2pilot (Post 15308342)
you said dual 7950 gets only 600 khash/s? My V7800 here at my home workstation has been pulling off 195 mhash/s, so 600k seems somewhat low? I haven't tried the 7950's yet as they're at the office so I have no clue what they'll do real world.

I'd like to grab some of the ati W8000's for my CAD work, so if they can pull double duty mining that's great. Any idea if the tahiti based firepro line offers any considerable advantage over the 7xxx's? I know power consumption is certainly better.

Different mining programs report different things and in different units. I am talking units for LTC however. 7950's get 600 khash/s EACH. Your V7800 would pull maybe 200 khash/s. The 79xx series are top dog right now for mining.

So, You are better off getting the 79xx series for mining because, if full time mining, you can expect to get about $600-$700 out of each card -- per month.

ac_2007 04-03-2013 01:57 AM

Mind blown.

Awesomo 04-03-2013 02:01 AM

Any thread on how start mining LTC?

CollinsE90 04-03-2013 02:06 AM

Explain the concept to me like a 5th grader, or wasp.

ImPulSe 04-03-2013 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...1&d=1364969170

I downloaded both the Bitcoin and Litecoin application but I don't know what the hell it's doing... Does it get into sync first, before "officially mining?"

Fergo 04-03-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 15308351)
Mind blown.

As is mine

Fergo 04-03-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinsE90 (Post 15308363)

:rofl:

k2pilot 04-03-2013 02:10 AM

Alright just got going on the notroll pool, unfortunately litecoin is closed off at the moment.

Awesomo 04-03-2013 02:10 AM

I downloaded cgminer, but mcafee is saying its a virus. Link to clean version?

farmdog 04-03-2013 02:13 AM

Can you buy pvssy or a "massage" on Craigslist with bitcoin crypto dinero?

Zell 04-03-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonshmoe (Post 15308273)
how do you start ?

$5,000 and a ****ton of graphics cards.

ImPulSe 04-03-2013 02:15 AM

http://digboston.com/wp-content/uplo...g-computer.jpg

HaloArchive 04-03-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awesomo (Post 15308356)
Any thread on how start mining LTC?

Edited into OP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CollinsE90 (Post 15308363)

www.litecoin.org and www.bitcoin.org

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImPulSe (Post 15308366)

I downloaded both the Bitcoin and Litecoin application but I don't know what the hell it's doing... Does it get into sync first, before "officially mining?"

If you downloaded the desktop client, each wallet/client will download the entire blockchain. It is huge and generally takes several hours

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2pilot (Post 15308373)
Alright just got going on the notroll pool, unfortunately litecoin is closed off at the moment.

Some pools close off their registration. I use Litecoinpool.org Burnside is also good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awesomo (Post 15308374)
I downloaded cgminer, but mcafee is saying its a virus. Link to clean version?

Link in OP

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmdog (Post 15308379)
Can you buy pvssy or a "massage" on Craigslist with bitcoin crypto dinero?

Yes. Go to SilkRoad or Black Market Reloaded. Or, just look on Hidden Wiki.

Awesomo 04-03-2013 02:28 AM

Do you have time for a quick skype session? I am confused about setting up the bat file and which accounts?

I have a account on notroll.in and btc-e.com, but not sure which to use in the script.

Also, getting a cgmine opencl.dll error. Running ATI 6970, but will buy a 7950 if this works out.

Gheybe 04-03-2013 02:32 AM

What the fucck is going on?!?!?!?