E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Analog TV switch off (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=979855)

PeteAU 04-03-2013 12:49 AM

Analog TV switch off
 
Quote:

Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
250 days until analog is switched off
Switch date: 10 December 2013
Boo, no more TV in the car when stuck in traffic. Discuss.

JS330 04-03-2013 01:02 AM

fml now I have to watch ipod :P

CortinaD 04-03-2013 01:24 AM

It was turned off here yesterday.

Just replace your tuner with the hybrid digital one from a later model if you use it.

JS330 04-03-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CortinaD (Post 15308390)
It was turned off here yesterday.

Just replace your tuner with the hybrid digital one from a later model if you use it.

for $900 I'd rather a dynavin

CortinaD 04-03-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS330 (Post 15308392)
for $900 I'd rather a dynavin

That too - to each their own.

Trashcan 04-03-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppmz (Post 15308338)
Boo, no more TV in the car when stuck in traffic. Discuss.

That's my birthday :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

PeteAU 12-28-2013 05:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So my BMW TV tuner now only shows cosmic background radiation (snow) :(

I decided to take it apart to see if I can splice in a DVB-T tuner, since the box is half empty anyway.

This little 16-pin header from the RF-frontend appears to have a composite video pin, since it goes to a 75 Ohm resistor. This could be an easy place to insert a new video signal. Maybe I'll pull out an oscilloscope tomorrow to test my theory...

Sherweeeny 12-28-2013 05:23 AM

I don't really care, but this seems like it's about to get pretty interesting... Care factor, restored!

Chewy 12-28-2013 06:58 PM

Re: Analog TV switch off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JS330 (Post 15308392)
for $900 I'd rather a dynavin

Get a Navall, not Dynacrap. I'll be looking into getting one soon.

E46 Coupe 12-28-2013 07:05 PM

Analog TV switch off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppmz (Post 15911134)
So my BMW TV tuner now only shows cosmic background radiation (snow) :(

I decided to take it apart to see if I can splice in a DVB-T tuner, since the box is half empty anyway.

This little 16-pin header from the RF-frontend appears to have a composite video pin, since it goes to a 75 Ohm resistor. This could be an easy place to insert a new video signal. Maybe I'll pull out an oscilloscope tomorrow to test my theory...

Similar thing is being done by an Aus company, retrofittiing a digital tuner into the Lear box.
Their offering is still in the $400 region although has full functionality from the headunit controls and I believe has tv guide operational unlike the oem hybrid unit.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

PeteAU 12-28-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46 Coupe (Post 15912024)
Similar thing is being done by an Aus company, retrofittiing a digital tuner into the Lear box.
Their offering is still in the $400 region although has full functionality from the headunit controls and I believe has tv guide operational unlike the oem hybrid unit.

Interesting. Some plz get me a photo of their insides.

CortinaD 12-28-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46 Coupe (Post 15912024)
Similar thing is being done by an Aus company, retrofittiing a digital tuner into the Lear box.
Their offering is still in the $400 region although has full functionality from the headunit controls and I believe has tv guide operational unlike the oem hybrid unit.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Do you have the details, i'll buy one

E46 Coupe 12-28-2013 07:38 PM

Analog TV switch off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppmz (Post 15912039)
Interesting. Some plz get me a photo of their insides.

Haha. We think alike LOL ;)


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

E46 Coupe 12-28-2013 07:41 PM

Analog TV switch off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CortinaD (Post 15912042)
Do you have the details, i'll buy one

You basically send them your Lear unit and they send it back to you.

http://autotronic.com.au


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

E46 Coupe 12-28-2013 07:42 PM

Analog TV switch off
 
I've been quoted less than what the website says by email btw


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

94vtirozguy 01-03-2014 02:27 AM

ppmz I thought you would make something to go with your other gadgets and make them a box set :)

E46 Coupe 01-08-2014 03:16 AM

Any progress here Pete?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Eusto 01-08-2014 08:21 PM

Is this any use? Seems alot cheaper than other options being mentioned.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200611802514...84.m1423.l2649

Hazey82 01-09-2014 09:16 PM

$400 is a bit steep for something that wont get used that much from me, keen for other possible alternatives. Subscribed.

PeteAU 01-09-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eusto (Post 15931679)
Is this any use? Seems alot cheaper than other options being mentioned.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200611802514...84.m1423.l2649

What a deceptive/secretive ad. that is. I have literally no idea what they're selling.

I guess the plan was to buy one of these Chinese 12V tuners on ebay and wire it into the AV input. Then as a stage two, work out a way to change channels through the headunit buttons instead of the crappy remote.

But those tuners could be a pile of rubbish ($90+), who's brave enough to get one?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use