E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil in exhaust, plz help a noob! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=980107)

Mdm330 04-04-2013 12:07 PM

Oil in exhaust, plz help a noob!

Let me start by saying I hope I posted this in the right place, and I have searched over and over and can't find the info specific to the issues I am having...

My ride is an 06 e46 coupe with the m54. Shortly after the purchase I started having trouble with the oil level, so I started by doing an oil change. I have continued to have to put a qt. in every 600mi or so. I can't find a leak anywhere, and there has been no buildup on the front subframe brace. I am currently on vaca in NC about 300mi from home. Last night I started to notice a little white smoke coming from exhaust. I laid down some newspaper under the exhaust and revved to 6k and got what I think is a mixture of oil and condensation exiting the exhaust onto the paper. I recently did a full cooling system overhaul and have had no problems with overheating or coolant level so I'm fairly confident it's not a head gasket issue. From reading I'm thinking either cvv or bad rings and seals (hopefully not the latter) so all that to ask...
Is there an easy way to diagnose, and am I safe driving it home as long as I keep the oil level up? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am just beginning to learn about my car. If there is anything I missed or a thread I should look at please let me know... Thanks!!

choxor 04-04-2013 12:12 PM

Have you inspected to see if you have an external oil leak.

Mdm330 04-04-2013 12:23 PM

Yeah... Can't find a leak anywhere, and at the rate I'm going through oil I would think it would be fairly obvious

BMWCaptain 04-04-2013 12:34 PM

Do a compression test and wet compression test. If you don't want to do that first, then check out your CVV and hoses.

Stl could be HG from previous owner abuse.

HacksawMark 04-04-2013 12:44 PM

Have you checked your coolant temp on the OBC? Should be low to mid 90sC. Any mayo on the oil filler cap? If your coolant temps are low and/or you have mayo on your oil cap, than your CCV is likely clogged up and will need to be replaced. Smoke from tailpipe could mean other causes previously mentioned.

Mdm330 04-04-2013 01:05 PM

Oil filler cap looks clean. I'm assuming there is no way to check coolant temp without some sort of diagnostic software? I will run compression as soon as I get home. But I am very limited here and have to access to tools or computer.

Mdm330 04-04-2013 01:06 PM

*no access

BMWCaptain 04-04-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdm330 (Post 15312422)
Oil filler cap looks clean. I'm assuming there is no way to check coolant temp without some sort of diagnostic software? I will run compression as soon as I get home. But I am very limited here and have to access to tools or computer.

You can check you temp by using the OBD hidden menu acceded using your turn signal button before turning your car on. Do search for proper steps.

choxor 04-04-2013 01:15 PM

Search for user jfoj and check the links in his sig.

jfoj 04-04-2013 01:47 PM

See the 3rd link below in my signature for engine coolant temps issues.

As for the oil consumption, CCV and dipstick oil return being clogged is a big problem area. I have info about the dipstick tube being block in the same link above.

Also you may want to change to a different brand and weight oil. Not sure what you are currently running, but I can tell you a lot of folks have been having consumption issues with Mobil 1 0Wxx oils.

When in doubt, I tell everyone to start by using BMW oil from the dealer and see what happens after making sure then engine temp is correct and then consider replacing the CCV system and MAKE SURE to remove and clean the dipstick tube!

Nateweav 04-04-2013 02:06 PM

What's the details on the "mayo" on the filler cap? I have a creamy yellowish mayo type substance in my valve cover. I was told it is normal and not to worry about it.

Mdm330 04-04-2013 02:32 PM

Awesome... Thanks for the info... I am currently running Mobil 10-w40, was using castrol 10-30 previously but my mechanic buddy told me to switch to the Mobil. I will check out the temp issue ASAP, I am currently half way home from nc with 3 dogs and a bitchy gf in the car :)... I have been getting inconsistent readings on the dipstick at times, wonder if the dipstick return could be my culprit? I'll keep y'all posted, thanks again!!!!

Mdm330 04-04-2013 04:04 PM

Coolant temp reading from obc is 83... I'm guessing that is low? Does this point to cvv?

lcoleman 04-04-2013 06:11 PM

83 is low for having the car all the way warmed up (30 mins of driving or more), but your car will generally throw a code and light the CEL for a failing thermostat.

It does sound like a CCV issue, or a clogged return tube. Also, you're using the wrong oil. M1 0w40.

Blocked Out 04-04-2013 06:28 PM

Switch to a 0w30,0w40,5w30 or a 5w40 oil.

Your oil(10w40) is bit harsh on cold starts for our cars

Mdm330 04-04-2013 06:48 PM

Didn't realize you can view coolant temp in real time on dash... Temp running steady at 96/97c

HacksawMark 04-04-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdm330 (Post 15313387)
Didn't realize you can view coolant temp in real time on dash... Temp running steady at 96/97c

That sounds about right.

HacksawMark 04-04-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nateweav (Post 15312610)
What's the details on the "mayo" on the filler cap? I have a creamy yellowish mayo type substance in my valve cover. I was told it is normal and not to worry about it.

In your valve covers but not on the filler cap? Hmmm, still doesn't sound good. Any oil consumption issues; how often do you have to add a quart? Have you checked your coolant temps on the OBC? Also, what kind of driving do you do; lot of short trips? How often do you take it out on the freeway for 30 minutes or more?

Mdm330 04-05-2013 03:01 PM

So coolant temp is normal, no mayo on filler cap, now that it has warmed up there is no smoke. What's the next direction, I guess run compression? I'm seeing no signs of faulty rings or valves, as long as I continue to dump oil in she runs great. Am i doing additional damage if I continue to drive the at over the weekend until I can get it to my buddy's shop on mon? Hopefully I'm just crazy, and the car I puking oil somewhere and I just haven't caught it yet

Ohh... And a big thank you for everyone taking the time to pass on a little knowledge, much appreciated!!

jfoj 04-05-2013 03:23 PM

Did you have this problem when you were running Castrol oil?

Did the problem only start once you changed to Mobil 1?

How did your temps go from 83 to 97?

Was the car not warmed up enough?