E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Blue high beam bowls.. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=985877)

E46inthe206 05-06-2013 10:03 PM

Blue high beam bowls..

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...15166303_n.jpg

Thoughts?

I want to know where to get some quality spray for this light blue color.. anyone know?
Also, how long would it last for? For eva? :)

I like the blue more than the yellow many people have..
I own an Orient blue btw.
Looks reallyyyy good on white, but I think it'd look good on my OB as well.

Discuss.

E46Moonlight 05-06-2013 10:14 PM

look at the link in my sig and read it over. plenty have done this combo already

SK8URDEAD 05-06-2013 10:21 PM

he's not the first to do it. i've seen it in yellow, blue, black, and one more color i cant remember. but not every car can pull off the blue. i personally went with yellow on my car cus it compliments the blue. also because when i hit "flash to pass" it lights up super yellow and cars are like wtffff so they move out my way :P krylon yellow stained glass spray paint is the stuff your looking for. just look for a tint in blue color and you should be fine. just dont go crazy with the amount of layers

SK8URDEAD 05-06-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46Moonlight (Post 15402814)
look at the link in my sig and read it over. plenty have done this combo already

haha thats pretty awesome that you posted here. your diy is the exact one i used. wouldnt be surprised if my results photo is in that thread.

Arock1092 05-06-2013 10:31 PM

Blue high beam bowls..

Anybody do them in red??.. Photoshop??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

E46Moonlight 05-06-2013 10:49 PM

Blue high beam bowls..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arock1092 (Post 15402863)
Anybody do them in red??.. Photoshop??

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Check my thread in the link in my sig

aahmed2016 05-07-2013 08:53 AM

What do you guys think about the cheap tint films? You can get them in a wider array of colors, and I think it *might* be slightly easier. Any thoughts?

Teddy7 05-07-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aahmed2016 (Post 15403653)
What do you guys think about the cheap tint films? You can get them in a wider array of colors, and I think it *might* be slightly easier. Any thoughts?

I think using a physical film would make this diy much more difficult. The bowls are not only "bowl shaped"(who would have thought), but also full of multiple angles. Getting something to lay flat on it would be an endless headache.

E46inthe206 05-07-2013 09:42 AM

I might try and do this when I put my new angel eyes on.
I think I'll leave the headlights in and just take off the glass.
I'd just have to unplug the bulbs, correct?

Teddy7 05-07-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46inthe206
I might try and do this when I put my new angel eyes on.
I think I'll leave the headlights in and just take off the glass.
I'd just have to unplug the bulbs, correct?

Yes that is pretty much it. I used news paper to protect all other areas from over spray. Just pull the entire plug out and block the back of the hole with another sheet of newspaper. Remember to do very light coats to avoid any running.

E46inthe206 05-07-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teddy7 (Post 15403893)
Yes that is pretty much it. I used news paper to protect all other areas from over spray. Just pull the entire plug out and block the back of the hole with another sheet of newspaper. Remember to do very light coats to avoid any running.

Sweet, thanks.
Now to decide whether to go with blue, or yellow..
I think blue would look either really good, or really bad..
Yellow would look good and compliment the blue a lot, but it's just common.

Mango 05-07-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD (Post 15402834)
also because when i hit "flash to pass" it lights up super yellow and cars are like wtffff so they move out my way :P

For that, I take a different approach with my lights. :hi:

Also, silly juvenile mod. I wouldn't do it.

Schlag96 05-07-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango (Post 15404218)
For that, I take a different approach with my lights. :hi:

Also, silly juvenile mod. I wouldn't do it.

What exactly is a "juvenile" mod?

I think people's aesthetic tastes vary greatly and age has nothing to do with it.

I think the only way age comes into it is the proclivity toward showing bad judgement with respect to making mods that severely degrade the performance of the vehicle for the sake of aesthetics. And even then, if I feel like putting 19 inch M3 wheels on my 323 and i am well aware of the effect on driving performance, then to each his own, right?

I love you, man, but sometimes I think you're a notch too hard on people wanting to make their rides unique. :pfft:

Mango 05-07-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlag96 (Post 15404248)
What exactly is a "juvenile" mod?

I think people's aesthetic tastes vary greatly and age has nothing to do with it.

I think the only way age comes into it is the proclivity toward showing bad judgement with respect to making mods that severely degrade the performance of the vehicle for the sake of aesthetics. And even then, if I feel like putting 19 inch M3 wheels on my 323 and i am well aware of the effect on driving performance, then to each his own, right?

I love you, man, but sometimes I think you're a notch too hard on people wanting to make their rides unique. :pfft:

A juvenile mod are mods that are popular with juveniles. Making your ride unique is perfectly fine by me, so long as it doesn't negatively interfere with safety and function.

I can give you a lesson on lighting if you'd like. On more technical forums like M3forums, people know better. This stuff is not tolerated. Sometimes General is too general for my liking. As these cars are becoming more affordable, younger and younger people are getting their hands on them and doing dumber and dumber things. :facepalm:

It's also against DOT safety regulations

choxor 05-07-2013 12:10 PM

In all honesty it sounds like an awesome way to get pulled over repeatedly.

Mango 05-07-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choxor (Post 15404303)
In all honesty it sounds like an awesome way to get pulled over repeatedly.

there's that

ChrisRedmon 05-07-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango (Post 15404282)
A juvenile mod are mods that are popular with juveniles. Making your ride unique is perfectly fine by me, so long as it doesn't negatively interfere with safety and function.

I can give you a lesson on lighting if you'd like. On more technical forums like M3forums, people know better. This stuff is not tolerated. Sometimes General is too general for my liking. As these cars are becoming more affordable, younger and younger people are getting their hands on them and doing dumber and dumber things. :facepalm:

It's also against DOT safety regulations

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. People on M3forum perform this Mod very regularly.

:facepalm:

ChrisRedmon 05-07-2013 12:33 PM

OP, here is one thread of MANY on M3forum regarding the subject. Many 40-60k cars over there have this done, its a matter of taste.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=394773&page=2

WDE46 05-07-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango (Post 15404282)

But it doesn't interfere with safety or function. That especially applies to a car with bi-Xenons because then the high beam bowls are only there for flash to pass.

By the way, you do understand how calling this a "juvenile mod" is insulting to the OP, right? You don't need to insult the OP to make your point. Make your recommendation and leave it at that.

Mango 05-07-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDE46 (Post 15404543)
But it doesn't interfere with safety or function. That especially applies to a car with bi-Xenons because then the high beam bowls are only there for flash to pass.

By the way, you do understand how calling this a "juvenile mod" is insulting to the OP, right? You don't need to insult the OP to make your point. Make your recommendation and leave it at that.

painted headlight bowls doesn't interfere with safety or function? OK... :tsk:

I don't even know where to begin. you're approaching goingnuts territory. your account is too new here to even know what that means or who he is. i honestly don't think even he would encourage the Chris Brown mod, as you are.