E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Reedo, what are you people doing up there?! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=987535)

NFRs2000nyc 05-16-2013 10:15 PM

Reedo, what are you people doing up there?!

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...206857491.html

I haven't bought ammo in a while, but is this what its coming to?:yikes:

tailo 05-17-2013 10:01 PM

About a month ago I had to supply some for LEO requalifications, They were forcing the officers to bring there own ammo and nobody had any.

Retrax 05-18-2013 12:34 AM

Proctor is a tiny town. Their website says they are 3 square miles and have 4 cops, 1 Sgt, and their chief. I wouldn't think they would need much ammo to run qual shoot, but it looks like they have learned not to let their supply dwindle to the last few boxes.

BMW_Matt 05-18-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrax (Post 15433404)
Proctor is a tiny town. Their website says they are 3 square miles and have 4 cops, 1 Sgt, and their chief. I wouldn't think they would need much ammo to run qual shoot, but it looks like they have learned not to let their supply dwindle to the last few boxes.

I'm sure that's a town that everyone knows everyone and the officers are related to a bunch of people.

HiHoBrian 05-18-2013 03:10 PM

Re: Reedo, what are you people doing up there?!

They apparently are not aware of the internet or gunbot. I'm sure overpaying 50% or so from "normal" prices won't really hurt a leo division. If you want ammo its there you just have to be willing to be gouged for it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Reedo302 05-20-2013 12:40 PM

I went to Streicher's Police Supply (policehq.com) last Friday to get a pair of pants hemmed. They're a major ammunition supplier for LE. They literally had no pistol ammo in stock.
Ammo supply issues is one of the reason why I was against a switch from the Glock 22 to the 17. We just can't get ammo in quantity here.

Ghostie 05-22-2013 09:33 PM

Why do you need to go to a Police supply store to get your pants hemmed? Is there some sort of Tactical stitching involved that a regular tailor can't do?

Regulations?

Or is "Pant's hemmed" police code for something else?

tailo 05-23-2013 12:14 AM

If your gunshop offered that survice you would go elsewhere?

Reedo302 05-23-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostie (Post 15446086)
Why do you need to go to a Police supply store to get your pants hemmed? Is there some sort of Tactical stitching involved that a regular tailor can't do?

Regulations?

Or is "Pant's hemmed" police code for something else?

Public safety supply stores (Streichers does LE, security, Fire and EMS) have a lot of experience with the respective services and what is expected from their equipment and design. I've gone to normal alterations shops in the past, but you have to spend 5 minutes explaining crap to them to get them to understand that everything needs to be beefed up and how to adjust the pants correctly and all that. I walk into Streichers or another place and say "I want ____ altered" and I can speak the lingo to them and get the info out in about 15 seconds and get back what I asked for.
Most LE won't go to a non-LE place unless they have experience, because we want to deal with people who actually understand what we're talking about.

But more to the point, I bought the pants there and they did the hems in the first place, so I had them correct it. It took 2 minutes and it was free. Plus, it's 5 minutes from my house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailo (Post 15446530)

The LE store I go to most is Streichers, and they sell guns and ammo. The prices they have are all the "blue label" prices, which most gun shops are not privy to. Streichers is an authorized LE dealer for S&W, Kahr, Kimber, Sig, Springfield Armory, BCM, LWRC, AI, DPMS ( :rolleyes: ) and a couple others. Because of that place and the internet, I rarely go to actual gun shops anymore.
Bill's Gun Shop, the major indepenent place in the metro, had their own LE supply business in their basement for a while, but they ran it into the ground and it went under.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrax (Post 15433404)

It was a budgeting issue where they were only able to buy enough ammo for the near future. They don't have the budget to do what we do in the metro where many LE agencies are sitting on a 5-10 year supply. By the time Proctor was able to buy ammo, there was none available on the market. Poor planning most definitely, but it was the fault of the bureacracy from what I understand.

Case in point, my agency has been "situation critical" with AR mags for 10+ months, but we only got authorized to get replacement mags in December. After SANDY HOOK! Yep, just got our order's shipping confirmation today.

Ghostie 05-23-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailo (Post 15446530)

Well I don't own any "tactical apparel", so yes, I'd go elsewhere

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302 (Post 15446666)
Public safety supply stores (Streichers does LE, security, Fire and EMS) have a lot of experience with the respective services and what is expected from their equipment and design. I've gone to normal alterations shops in the past, but you have to spend 5 minutes explaining crap to them to get them to understand that everything needs to be beefed up and how to adjust the pants correctly and all that. I walk into Streichers or another place and say "I want ____ altered" and I can speak the lingo to them and get the info out in about 15 seconds and get back what I asked for.
Most LE won't go to a non-LE place unless they have experience, because we want to deal with people who actually understand what we're talking about.

But more to the point, I bought the pants there and they did the hems in the first place, so I had them correct it. It took 2 minutes and it was free. Plus, it's 5 minutes from my house.

I figured as much....I just found the line funny, as most non-LE wouldn't normally associate the two services. I just got some clothes altered last week, and the Gun shop was the last place I'd think to go.

SamDoe1 05-24-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302 (Post 15446666)
It took 2 minutes and it was free. Plus, it's 5 minutes from my house.

If you live 5 minutes from there, you probably like 5 minutes from my house. :thumbsup:

Reese91 05-28-2013 03:43 AM

almost makes me feel bad for having 12 South African battlepacks of 5.56....Almost.