E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Glove box handle ripped off - now what? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=992934)

Dave 06-19-2013 08:48 AM

Glove box handle ripped off - now what?

1 Attachment(s)
I know it's for our own good and all that, but since getting this car the glove box handle has driven me insane. The keyhole seems to always twist a few degrees so that it can't be opened, and maybe this is just me being a neat freak, but I never keep anything in the car or the trunk anyway so I don't really care if either are locked or not.

So imagine my delight when last night, within two hours of unlocking the damn thing to stash my girlfriend's sunglasses, someone lept into my car, ransacked the interior (leaving change and my house key), and broke off the damn handle, which had apparently twisted just enough to "lock" itself again when she shut it.

The handle came right off, both of the nubs that stick out to the sides snapped, and now I'm left with this. Awesome.

To replace this, do I have to buy a whole new glove box door mechanism, or just the handle/latch? I assume I have to swap the key tumbler out, though maybe I shouldn't. Maybe since I hate this "security" feature anyway I should just buy a coupe glove box?

Of course, watch, that'll then lead to me losing everything in my trunk the one time I do have something more than a beach chair in there...

Oh, as a bonus, the one thing they did take was my gate/garage door opener. So now those are all powered off til I can re-code them...

Dave 06-19-2013 08:51 AM

tl;dr:

What, if any, part numbers differ between coupe and convertible glove box handles, and what do I actually need to replace here (hopefully not the whole damn door)?

taylor192 06-19-2013 10:00 AM

Find a salvage yard and pull a glove box for cheap then swap parts over.

Dave 06-19-2013 10:37 AM

So you think I should get the whole assembly?

I think that part isn't that big a deal, but I'm not sure what the P/N is for the assembly in order to compare if I can get one from a coupe (easy to find) or have to get vert (not so much)

johnrando 06-19-2013 10:43 AM

When you mean assembly, you taking the handle and the inner workings part? It's not that expensive. BTW, when you do look for the part #, the "inner" is the part that faces you, and the "outer" is the part that's inside the glove box. (Backwards from what most of us think). You should get the vert one, as it locks/unlocks with your car. I doubt the coupe one does that.

You could just get the part that's not working and mate it to the other part, but I can't tell from you pic or description which one is not working. I may have an extra assembly (inner and outer) but I'm not sure the locking part works except for with a key. It might take me a few days to find it though if you're interested.

Dave 06-19-2013 02:26 PM

Mine has never worked without the car key either. It always drove me nuts and to this day I'm still not sure how it's actually intended to work.

Thus far from the ETK (I've been distracted by other things, namely how ****ing stupid the armrests are to disconnect) I can't tell which pieces of the box itself are actually sold separately. I presume that the door/drawer assembly itself is all one piece and from what I can tell what's different b/w coupe and vert is just the handle, locking mechanism, and an extra wire/sensor/whatever that connects it somehow to the trunk and rest of the car/lock mechanism.

beeemerdude 06-19-2013 04:24 PM

So,..Dave...not sure if I sense sarcasm in your OP, but I assume these vandals have done you a favor, & now you will fix this glovebox problem of yours correctly? Anyhoo, I'd go to scrapyard (or ebay) find the whole glovebox & bring the tumbler to a local keyshop & let 'em code it w a spare key so you can still drive your car till they're done. If you end up going ebay route, don't be shy when you see other interior BMW parts listed from a seller (usually an auto-recycler), & send a Q to seller if they have the same color glovebox for sale & if so, to put it up 4 auction.

Dave 06-19-2013 04:56 PM

I don't know. I still don't know how it's supposed to work and I'm still going to have to use the same tumbler or get it re-keyed to my key if I get a new one, right? That's a giant pain in the ass.

Of course, as it is now I'm locked out of my glovebox and can't unlock my trunk without the ignition off, so that's kind of a giant pain in the ass too...

My question is whether I have to buy a full glovebox mechanism now because of the broken handle, or if the handle is separate... if that's the case, I'd also assume that only the handle/latch assembly is is convertible-specific by P/N?

I guess I also have the question of how the heck I am going to open my glove box...

beeemerdude 06-19-2013 05:35 PM

oh, I get it, Dave. I would think the handle/latch would be conv-specific, cuz, well you know BMW. Why not find a glovebox off'a ebay, but make sure you specify must be conv,etc. I just checked ebay (keywords: E46 glovebox), & many sedan boxes came up, but a couple of ci's showed up. Didn't specify cabrio, though. Prices were cheap...why not give it a go, then bring both latches to key guy,...or if u prefer NOT to do that, go to key-guy 1st w/ dilemma to ask if it's be beter if he ad 2 latches/tumblers to tinker with to code it. I'd be sure (if go ebay) to make sure glovebox is same color (of course), cabrio (to be careful/preventative), & within the same year by 1-2 years (ie. if yours is 2004, lee-way 1-2yrs both ways).

That's just my 2 bits. Good luck Dave.

Dave 06-19-2013 07:57 PM

Not DIY enough! :)

Just spent WAY too long resetting the dip switch codes on our outer gate and then programming my roommate's E92 M homelink (took a while to figure out how to get two buttons programmed without resetting each time... and before that we realized far too late that the battery on the remote was too weak). But now I've fixed the outer fence, reset the gate and garage, added an auto-close to the gate, and set up the homelink. So all is actually improved, home security wise, and it's more convenient as well. And now I'm pouting about the fact that it would cost me a ton to get a proper homelink in my car so that I don't have to have an exposed remote in there. I miss my tinfoil-modded coupe Homelink.

Anyway, I guess now I can go back to focusing on the glove box.

At least the fact that the crackhead broke my right side plastic piece (the one that spring loads into place when the top goes down) meant I finally got around to supergluing the one on the left so I'm not driving around with a hole in my car anymore...

johnrando 06-21-2013 01:47 PM

Dave, want me to check for which inner/outer handle pieces I have? I also have a black vert glovebox in excellent condition.

Dave 06-23-2013 06:47 PM

Yes please!

johnrando 06-24-2013 12:41 PM

OK, I'll try to see what I've got.

petemo94 06-24-2013 09:54 PM

Can someone post a picture of their lock mechanism?

Mine is broken. All typical efforts failed. Next step is to bend the glove box ends and attempt to open the glove box using a screw driver and such.

I just need to understand what I am going after.

johnrando 06-24-2013 11:35 PM

So the lock is stuck? Try fvcking the lock with the key. (Sorry, but when I describe it, that's what people say it sounds like). In other words, insert the key slowly, gently, and turn it very carefully in every direction (full right, full left, whatever) to see if it opens. If not, try pushing it in hard and turning it hard right, left, whatever (order doesn't matter) to see if that works. Do it multiple times, trying different depths and force. Mine was stuck and seemingly would never open, and finally after just trying every sort of touch/turn, it finally budged.

If it opens, tighten the screws on the inside, which is usually the culprit. I'll post some pics if I get a chance tomorrow.

petemo94 06-25-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnrando (Post 15525583)
So the lock is stuck? Try fvcking the lock with the key. (Sorry, but when I describe it, that's what people say it sounds like). In other words, insert the key slowly, gently, and turn it very carefully in every direction (full right, full left, whatever) to see if it opens. If not, try pushing it in hard and turning it hard right, left, whatever (order doesn't matter) to see if that works. Do it multiple times, trying different depths and force. Mine was stuck and seemingly would never open, and finally after just trying every sort of touch/turn, it finally budged.

If it opens, tighten the screws on the inside, which is usually the culprit. I'll post some pics if I get a chance tomorrow.

Yea my lock is probably sore as he!! From all of the fvcking I've done so far. Believe me, I've tried every position with the lock a lock and key. The handle just feels limp with no tension on it when I try to open it. :ben:

jeton_g 06-25-2013 06:25 PM

How to unlock glove box???

Has anyone figured out how to keep the glove box unlocked so I dont always have to open with the key, even with the key it takes about 5 minutes, seems the key slips from the spot it needs to be unlocked and i have to play with it over and over....sometimes its embarassing when theres females in the car:shhh:

wildirish317 06-26-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeton_g (Post 15527633)
Has anyone figured out how to keep the glove box unlocked so I dont always have to open with the key,

I think you turn the key 90 degrees counter-clockwise, and remove the key. There are three positions, vertical, and two horizontal (one cw, one ccw). I can't remember all of them, I just keep mine in the position where it's always unlocked. (My trunk switch is messed up and can only be opened with the remote, so I don't have to worry about trunk security. This may be related to my glove box position as well, but I'm just living with it for now.)

johnrando 06-26-2013 12:10 PM

There are 3 settings I believe. One is lock/unlock with the car. One is locked so manually you have to unlock. The other is unlocked all the time. I'm not 100% sure. So, they (the keyhole position) would be either horizon right, horizontal left, or vertical.

w0w 06-26-2013 11:06 PM

my glovebox has recently been getting stuck. what i do is slowly push up on the handle then pull, usually works after a few tries. if i used my glovebox more often i would've replaced it already :rofl: